• Yes

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 49 69.0%

• Total voters

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's a 6th round pick from the Philadelphia Flyers in 2015.

These players are huge longshots to ever make the NHL.

Framing it that JF Houle is somehow responsible for him not having reached the NHL at this point is odd.

Not sure how it seems so extreme to prefer someone from an organization/junior team with results vs ones that have poor results. Especially after the whole Lefebvre era where his departure 'coincidentally' overlaps the organizations slight improvement in development.

He could be an amazing coach, never know, but it is worth noting his previous organization and prospect development results. I think after 10 years we can all say the Habs biggest weakness under MB has been the amateur draft/development. It's definitely an area that deserves a close look whenever there's action IMO.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oilers just suck at drafting. They’ve had a couple of bad 1st overall picks (Yakupov, RNH), a bad 4th overall pick (Pulju), so it’s not surprising that their later picks suck as well. It’s less a development issue than it is a scouting issue.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not sure how it seems so extreme to prefer someone from an organization/junior team with results vs ones that have poor results. Especially after the whole Lefebvre era where his departure 'coincidentally' overlaps the organizations slight improvement in development.

The only framing I've seen is insinuating a list of prospects who've gone through their development system is 'blaming' Houle for it.. which is clearly not the case at all.

Reactions: dinodebino and Wats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There’s nothing extreme about that…but you’re knocking the guy because he didn’t turn a bunch of scrubs into NHLers while being an assistant head coach.

Just because you’re drafted doesn’t mean you’re anointed to the NHL.

development is not about sprinkling magic dust over 6th round picks and turning them into NHLers

I have no clue if this guys is any good…but concluding anything based on whose come out of the Oilers system while he was an assistant coach just seems like it’s hating just to hate.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The only framing I've seen is insinuating a list of prospects who've gone through their development system is 'blaming' Houle for it.. which is clearly not the case at all.
That’s how your post came off…I mean you fired off a list of “prospects “ that played games for Bakersfield while he was assistant coach.

what other conclusion was I to draw?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Curious as to who he will name as assistants. With Daniel Jacob going to San Diego with Joel and Burrows who will remain with Habs, Houle will be able to name his 2 assistants.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Might as well bring back Nick Carriere at this point.

Don't get this hire at all...so many other more highly touted coaches available.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That’s how your post came off…I mean you fired off a list of “prospects “ that played games for Bakersfield while he was assistant coach.

what other conclusion was I to draw?

That this is a member of the staff that has this development record. He's an assistant, he was part of it but he wasn't the one making all the decisions.

It's information for people who want some.

He's not coming from a great development system, now we see if he was stymied in his position or if he was part of the reason why they managed to do very little over 6 years.

I would have preferred an AHL coach from an AHL program that has done a great job of churning out talent (Syracuse for example) or from CHL, USHL or Europe, where a lot of prospects have improved their games and gained momentum in the NHL draft because of it.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
A major flaw is t
The prettu boy syndrome edmonton has had. Drafting a pmayer with cute skill, or juat eaw fysics, but is just not the right charachtwr for NHL. That hasnt anything to do with developement coach, it is the GM

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A major flaw is t
The prettu boy syndrome edmonton has had. Drafting a pmayer with cute skill, or juat eaw fysics, but is just not the right charachtwr for NHL. That hasnt anything to do with developement coach, it is the GM

I don't know - we heard this argument the entire time with Lefebvre and we finally got rid of him and suddenly we have improvements on guys like Poehling, Evans, Brook, etc. rather than see their careers suicided in 40 games.

Reactions: habsfan891

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
That this is a member of the staff that has this development record. He's an assistant, he was part of it but he wasn't the one making all the decisions.

It's information for people who want some.

He's not coming from a great development system, now we see if he was stymied in his position or if he was part of the reason why they managed to do very little over 6 years.

I would have preferred an AHL coach from an AHL program that has done a great job of churning out talent (Syracuse for example) or from CHL, USHL or Europe, where a lot of prospects have improved their games and gained momentum in the NHL draft because of it.
Couldn't agree more

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He's peanut's son. Hate it now as it only adds to the nepotism and knowing he wasn't in all honesty, the best candidate available. Hope he doesn't f*** up our kids like Sly did. If he's anything like his dad, Laval is f***ed.

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The day before we might loose Price, we bring in Houle's son? :sarcasm:

1993 we make it to Stanley Cup , then shortly after we hire Houle

2021 we make it to Stanley Cup, and we hire another Houle

If Primeau loses 9-1 and asks for a trade I'm done with Habs ...LMAO;)

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
There’s nothing extreme about that…but you’re knocking the guy because he didn’t turn a bunch of scrubs into NHLers while being an assistant head coach.

Just because you’re drafted doesn’t mean you’re anointed to the NHL.

development is not about sprinkling magic dust over 6th round picks and turning them into NHLers

I have no clue if this guys is any good…but concluding anything based on whose come out of the Oilers system while he was an assistant coach just seems like it’s hating just to hate.

I don't see development as magic dust but a way to maximize the talent of who you draft in terms of preparation. It's not like it's some myth, there's literally a department within NHL organization dedicated to it.

Some teams draft/develop well fairly consistently. Montreal has consistently been bad at it for 10+ years now. One thing that sticks out with Montreal vs other poor drafting/development teams is the prospects having success in junior and then failing once reaching pro.

I feel like you think wanting development improvements means I think Casey Staum/Will Bitten/Scott Walford/Jarret Tyszka would suddenly be NHL stars with right magic dust. I'm talking Victor Mete/Josh Brook/Cale Fleury/Ryan Poehling/Cayden Primeau. Guys that were really good in junior/pre pro hockey. There is a high percentage of these guys become nothing in Montreal.

The results speak for themselves, draft/development from 2008-preset has been bottom of the league. Don't think it's hating just to hate, there's just less giving benefit of the doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad