Jacob Trouba Wins the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I love how some people are trying to pretend this isn't the silliest award in pro sports (fans of a certain team right now). Mark Messier gets to pick his favorite captain for the season and we're supposed to act like this is a real accomplishment lol.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Footage not found
There certainly are people in this thread and on other platforms that seem to consider this a legitimate and prestigious award. I mean, people are debating the merits of whether or not he "deserves" it. It's literally just Mark Messier picking a guy he likes from a team that did well that particular year lol.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There certainly are people in this thread and on other platforms that seem to consider this a legitimate and prestigious award. I mean, people are debating the merits of whether or not he "deserves" it. It's literally just Mark Messier picking a guy he likes from a team that did well that particular year lol.
People who think it's a serious award? I haven't seen any of that.

"Deserves" it? I mean sure. He's very well respected as a captain according to people in the know. Being a dirty player or bad player is not relevant to that conversation.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
People who think it's a serious award? I haven't seen any of that.

"Deserves" it? I mean sure. He's very well respected as a captain according to people in the know. Being a dirty player or bad player is not relevant to that conversation.
There are some here in the thread you can see them for yourself and on other platforms as well. I’m not going to call anyone out specifically, but there are a few here in the thread.

Anyone who Mess likes that year “deserves it” there’s no other criteria lol. I don’t see a point in debating who “deserves it” because it’s a silly farce of an award. We seem to agree it’s pointless, I’m not sure the issue here lol

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There are some here in the thread you can see them for yourself and on other platforms as well. I’m not going to call anyone out specifically, but there are a few here in the thread.

Anyone who Mess likes that year “deserves it” there’s no other criteria lol. I don’t see a point in debating who “deserves it” because it’s a silly farce of an award. We seem to agree it’s pointless, I’m not sure the issue here lol
The issue is that you're calling out people for taking it seriously when literally nobody is doing that.

The most I've seen is "good for him."

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
The issue is that you're calling out people for taking it seriously when literally nobody is doing that.

The most I've seen is "good for him."
There are multiple people in this thread, and plenty on Facebook groups/pages and twitter as well.

I know they’re fellow fans of yours, but this is a strange thing to dispute, Machine lol.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There are multiple people in this thread, and plenty on Facebook groups/pages and twitter as well.

I know they’re fellow fans of yours, but this is a strange thing to dispute, Machine lol.
I literally scanned over the whole thread.

Unless you think "cool, congrats" is taking the award seriously, you're making it up.

I can't speak to what was said off this site.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

Unless you think "cool, congrats" is taking the award seriously, you're making it up.

Well here ya go. And again, there's plenty more on other platforms as well.

"Awesome. Great recognition for an upstanding player on the ice as well as a better human being off the ice."

"Next best thing next to the Norris!"
^^this one is likely a troll, but hard to tell, given the source.

"Why don't you do a little research before you post nonsense. No Ranger has won this award before this year! Trouba does a tremendous amount of stuff in the community. I would love to know what community service you do? Maybe you should stop spending so much time typing false narratives and get out to do some volunteering of your own. Generally the haters are the people that do the least and say the most! It much easier that way!!"
+ a list of every trophy winner with NHL.com links lol.

Again, very weird thing to try to attack me for lol. How about we just both agree that this award is stupid and pointless and anyone who takes it seriously is silly?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

So if a Ranger or Oiler is deserving they can not win the Award? Do you know what Community Service Trouba does? Here is the list of winners

2023-24- Jacob Trouba- D New York Rangers
2022-23- Steven Stamkos- C Tampa Bay Lightning
2021-22- Anze Kopitar- C Los Angeles Kings
2020-21- Patrice Bergeron- C Boston Bruins
2019-20- Mark Giordano- D Calgary Flames
2018-19- Wayne Simmonds-RW Nashville Predators
2017-18- Deryk Engelland- D Vegas Golden Knights
2016-17- Nick Foligno- LW Columbus Blue Jackets
2015-16- Shea Weber- D Nashville Predators
2014-15- Jonathan Toews- C Chicago Blackhawks
2013-14- Dustin Brown- RW Los Angeles Kings
2012-13- Daniel Alfredsson- RW Ottawa Senators
2011-12- Shane Doan- RW Phoenix Coyotes
2010-11- Zdeno Chara- D Boston Bruins
2009-10- Sidney Crosby- C Pittsburgh Penguins
2008-09- Jarome Iginla- RW Calgary Flames
2007-08- Mats Sundin- C Toronto Maple Leafs
2006-07- Chris Chelios- D Detroit Red Wings
This took me thirty seconds my guy.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Does Messier pay to sponsor this award like Bud Light? I don’t get it.
Funnily enough after googling it, a flakey cold medicine is apparently the sponsor. The only studies that indicate that it's effective were actually done by the manufacturer themselves. Pretty fitting for this award really lmao.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well here ya go. And again, there's plenty more on other platforms as well.

^^this one is likely a troll, but hard to tell, given the source.

+ a list of every trophy winner with NHL.com links lol.

Again, very weird thing to try to attack me for lol. How about we just both agree that this award is stupid and pointless and anyone who takes it seriously is silly?
This took me thirty seconds my guy.
The Norris comment was obviously joking.

The implication that Messier gives the award to Rangers was well worth calling out considering it's a lie that takes two seconds to dispel.

"Awesome. Glad he was recognized." is the standard here? I guess my bad then.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

The implication that Messier gives the award to Rangers was well worth calling out considering it's a lie that takes two seconds to dispel.

If you're linking a list of winners and defending Trouba for winning you're taking it seriously. Like I get he's a Ranger but when Toews won I can't imagine being anything other than ambivalent.

It's a nonsense award. Take off the glasses my man.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you're linking a list of winners and defending Trouba for winning you're taking it seriously. Like I get he's a Ranger but when Toews won I can't imagine being anything other than ambivalent.

It's a nonsense award. Take off the glasses my man.
I'm very ambivalent towards the award.

I think the reaction to it is pretty embarrassing, including making things up like "Messier gives it to Rangers" that you can just Google.

Seems wrong to call out Rangers fans for "pretending it's not a silly award" when the whole thread is the level of rage from non-Rangers fans usually reserved for Erik Karlsson winning the Norris.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm very ambivalent towards the award.

I think the reaction to it is pretty embarrassing, including making things up like "Messier gives it to Rangers" that you can just Google.

Seems wrong to call out Rangers fans for "pretending it's not a silly award" when the whole thread is the level of rage from non-Rangers fans usually reserved for Erik Karlsson winning the Norris.
Others aren't and they're being mocked. If you know it's a joke award good.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014

I'm not about to start pulling from the Rangers boards but you know we can all see that too? lol

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Foligno won it in the past and he's been fantastic as the Blackhawks captain without the letter. If he won this year the strongest reaction I'd have is "neat" and if people were like lol joke award I'd be like yep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad