World Cup: Is the 2022 WC the best WC of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Obviously a lot of stuff outside the play that is impacting opinions on it but from match quality and excitement none were even close to as entertaining. In the end you had a match of the titans to decide it but before that it was fantastic. The last thing you want are pushover teams and other than Qatar everyone was competitive. I think we'll lose that in the 48 team format so might be the best for some time to come.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Purely from the perspective of on the pitch impact? Potentially. Hard to pull that away from everything surrounding the pitch, however.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It was the 86 for me for a long time. Highlighted by the France / Brazil game.
Throughout the competition I thought this one was up there.
The final makes the boat tip in my book.
Best game ever, best final ever and best WC ever.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think so. We had it all!

Plus both teams went for it at times. Most finals feel more cagey than this one.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
As far as team quality, I'd go with 1998, there were legit 6-7 teams that had a legit shot at winning it.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Final and Netherlands-Argentina were amazing games. Semis boring as hell. Last round of group stage great stuff shame that excitement will be dead in next tournament.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Question is right in the first post.
So please, read twice before commenting.
He’s right, you are wrong.

You did not specify that you were asking about just the matches alone. You asked about the entire event, and that entire event is extremely clouded.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He’s right, you are wrong.

You did not specify that you were asking about just the matches alone. You asked about the entire event, and that entire event is extremely clouded.
But FFS people, read the title and the first post !
I never talked about the one game. I talked about the competition.
I asked if people thought this was the best WC and IF NOT, WHICH.

FFS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But FFS people, read the title and the first post !
I never talked about the one game. I talked about the competition.
I asked if people thought this was the best WC and IF NOT, WHICH.

FFS

I get that that's how you meant it, but you didn't clarify that's what you meant. So people bringing up the non-football aspects is a perfectly valid to the question as asked.

Reactions: Peen

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I get that that's how you meant it, but you didn't clarify that's what you meant. So people bringing up the non-football aspects is a perfectly valid to the question as asked.
And I don't mind that.
I CLEARLY ASKED that if people said no, to say which was better !!!
Which is why I told Jussi he didn't answer the question.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And I don't mind that.
I CLEARLY ASKED that if people said no, to say which was better !!!
Which is why I told Jussi he didn't answer the question.

That's a fair response to move the conversation along, but you don't have to be such a dick about it. So give people a chance to respond to your follow up, that wasn't included in the title.

For me, it's 2014...but I'm not a neutral observer :D

Reactions: tuozzi and Peen

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
"Is the 2022 WC the best WC of all time? If not, which?"

First of all - not crazy that people would answer the question in the title but not the one in the OP!
Second of all - no reason why you can't, if you so choose, incorporate off-the-pitch stuff into your analysis of what makes a WC "the best" or not, given that "the best" is already a subjective assessment.
Third of all - don't be one of those OPs who replies to every single response being like "this isn't good enough"

Being grumpy that people answer one question but not the other is a weird vibe

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No . Maybe from a quality of games aspect ( albeit i watched pretty much no games ) . The whole tournament just felt wrong which made it incredibly easy to completely ignore it. I just didn't care for it. For time ever and never felt compelled to turn on any of the games .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad