NHL.com: Inside Anders Lee’s first year as islanders captain “C”

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Focus on defense and our core young defensemen all being a year older are a huge part of why we are where we are.

We also panned a bunch of the off-season bottom 6 signings but we now have one of the better bottom sixes and it shows.

Martin, kamarov and flip have all been successful acquisitions

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
The Islanders had a better year than Pittsburgh so I'm not surprised we are winning the series.

Thanks primarily to the front office and coaching.

The Islanders pretty much proved everyone wrong including the majority of Islander fans.

Because, too many people buy into the notion that the NHL has radically evolved in such a way that only a specific type/s of player/s provide the recipe to succeed. Moreover, that the Islanders were out of touch with that notion and that their acquisitions were a sign of such.

But if your in it to win it than be all in.

Lou underestimated this team himself and he's supposed to be some kind of hockey genius.

No one thought TEAM USA with a bunch of college kids would defeat mighty Russia.

You and others have been to some extent critical of some of the Islanders signings at the beginning of the year and or lack of movement on the deadline. But many of these criticisms seemed focus on our own preconceived notions of how a team should be built.

Some examples (not necessarily by you but on this board):

Komarov is an analytics sieve and is overpaid and over extended. VS. Komarov improves the penalty kill, roster depth/flexibility and locker room accountability at a small overpayment

Isles should have acquired more offense at the deadline VS. Islanders reportedly attempted to acquire relevant core pieces (signed Duchene and/or Stone) AND valued team chemistry over paying for secondary assets.
But I'm not going to continue this further, as I have a sense of how this will eventually play out... Islanders will hit a wall at some point and it will be used by certain posters as a justification that LL somehow failed this team. Whatever regular and post season success will be deemed as a failure because the ONLY metric that matters is winning The Stanley Cup. It will be conveniently ignored that NO metric exists of a team making such a historic turnaround to be cup winner.

Again, my point is that the criticisms are unreasonable and appear to primarily be driven by the need to justify personal prognostications coming into this season. Essentially the expectation is that the Isles accomplishing something that has NEVER been done is somehow an acceptable norm to hold the management, coaching and players accountable for.

Or, maybe I'm just misreading it and this is really about Anders Lee being snake-bit for offense. ;)

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
The Islanders had a better year than Pittsburgh so I'm not surprised we are winning the series.

The Islanders pretty much proved everyone wrong including the majority of Islander fans.

But if your in it to win it than be all in.

Lou underestimated this team himself and he's supposed to be some kind of hockey genius.

No one thought TEAM USA with a bunch of college kids would defeat mighty Russia.

Yeah, LL underestimated, no one is perfect, but the product he went with is where they are because of him. LL has tricky contract situations, a franchise that was previously failing, an unfriendly home ice arena, lost a franchise player and yet here we sit. What are you complaining about now?

Last edited:
Reactions: bronxirish

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Yeah, LL underestimated, no one is perfect, but the product he went with is where they are because of him. LL has tricky contract situations, a franchise that was previously failing, an unfriendly home ice arena, lost a franchise player and yet here we sit. What are you complaining about now?

So this team loses a franchise center and expectations are pretty low.
Myself included suggested we "Lose for Hughes". I felt that way even if we re-signed JT.
Why not tank and trade our upcoming free agents at the deadline for futures?
Of course I received plenty of unwarranted flack for that. But I see what everyone else sees and that's a lack of star power even with Barzal and Tavares.
Its only one season of losing plus everyone else was complaining that our prospect pool is weak and how bad a job Snow had done.
So what better way of improving the farm system than to trade assets for futures and to pick first overall?
But It's pretty much a moot point because players don't think that way.
Now that becomes a viable possibility only after Tavares decides to do the unthinkable.
Or at least we all thought.
So why not build to compete for the future?
All of sudden Im receiving more negativity. I'm clueless or out to lunch or whatever.
But I was just looking at the big picture.

That gets thrown out the window once this team surprises everyone. Yet people are still skeptical of the Islanders success. We don't have the talent to be winning this much blah blah blah. Even Lou bought into this because if he truly thought this team could compete in the playoffs you'd think he would have done something to at least address our awful PP.
To improve our offense. Some subtle moves instead of the same struggles all year long to score goals and compete when we are down by a goal or two.
No reason this team should be this offensively challenged.
That's all. Well that and I'm a fan JHS and don't feel he's been treated fairly.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
To improve our offense. Some subtle moves instead of the same struggles all year long to score goals and compete when we are down by a goal or two.
No reason this team should be this offensively challenged.
That's all. Well that and I'm a fan JHS and don't feel he's been treated fairly.
As stingy as we are, the lack of offense is less of a problem. Moves will be made this off season, I am going to enjoy this ride while it lasts. We are going to surprise everyone next year when we prove we are not a fluke.
Oh, and JHS fell asleep during a meeting with the coach.
LGI!

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
As stingy as we are, the lack of offense is less of a problem. Moves will be made this off season, I am going to enjoy this ride while it lasts. We are going to surprise everyone next year when we prove we are not a fluke.
Oh, and JHS fell asleep during a meeting with the coach.
LGI!

Apparently it’s not “fair” to expect him to be on time. Now that is Newsworthy.......

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
f*** tanking and f*** Jack Hughes. We’re on the verge of sweeping the Crosby led penguins in the playoffs. Lou and Trotz overhauled our organization and we’ve put the NHL world on notice that the islanders are a real franchise.
The success of this season is way more important than losing for a damn lottery pick.

The islanders are for real and finally not looked at like a joke or Mickey Mouse organization. We’re a first class organization from top to bottom. Something we haven’t had since Torrey and Arbour were running things.

Tank and sell off our players lol. That’s loser shit. f*** that mentality. It may not be this specific crop but we will start drawing the good free agents. Trust me. We already have a good foundation to build off of. This season and postseason is just the beginning.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Best Captain the Isles have had in a decade. Nice to have a Captain that is articulate and passionate for a change.

I'm trying so hard not to judge, because we don't see everything that happens behind the scenes, but having Lee as a Captain, from a fan perspective, is awesome - yeah, he still says the same cliches as all of them, but he can make them sound better. It doesn't hurt he can also be pretty funy.

I can't help to wonder if that camaraderie is (definitely) part on Trotz getting this team together, but also on Lee, because he has that feeling around him, like it would matter to him a lot.

Aaaand he's not signed for the next season :laugh: Lord, what's not to love about being an Isles fan :laugh:

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Anders has been fantastic. Much more productive- but he has kind of a “Patrick Flatley” leadership-style (IMHO) that I’ve always found effective (i.e. “when you lay it on the line night after night for the organization like I do- only then do you maybe have anything to complain about”).

As far as Tavares goes- I think he would have similarly thrived under a Trotz/LL regime. There’s just no substitute for great leadership, and structure at the top. Unfortunately, under Snow/Weight/Cap/etc. Tavares had to be more like the President of a chaotic fraternity or something (felt the same about McCabe’s brief captaincy back in the 90s). Interestingly, if/when TOR exits the playoffs- Tavares will find himself in another situation where there will be hard questions asked about his Coach/GM- whereas NYI will be among the most stable at the top.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Anders has been fantastic. Much more productive- but he has kind of a “Patrick Flatley” leadership-style (IMHO) that I’ve always found effective (i.e. “when you lay it on the line night after night for the organization like I do- only then do you maybe have anything to complain about”).

As far as Tavares goes- I think he would have similarly thrived under a Trotz/LL regime. There’s just no substitute for great leadership, and structure at the top. Unfortunately, under Snow/Weight/Cap/etc. Tavares had to be more like the President of a chaotic fraternity or something (felt the same about McCabe’s brief captaincy back in the 90s). Interestingly, if/when TOR exits the playoffs- Tavares will find himself in another situation where there will be hard questions asked about his Coach/GM- whereas NYI will be among the most stable at the top.
I think this is a good way of putting things.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This guy is such a great Captain. Even if it is for one year, who knows for the future. He is the best Captain in a decade for the Isles. So much heart, so articulate, raw emotion. Anders Lee is not a robot, he is real. I think this rubs off so positively on the team. Much respect to him.

Reactions: MattMartin

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I'd love to keep Lee, but we need to set a price and stick to it. Lee isn't exactly young, so a large part of any long contract includes some "decline" years.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
six years is the sweet spot for his contract. +/- $6.5m. I doubt he'll agree to anything less and the open market will certainly bear that out. Any more and the team is really opening itself to being stuck with a guy on the decline for several years. If we are stuck with his salary for 7 or 8 years, that could be a real anchor.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Where is the back door to the locker room that you used to glean this insider info?
Lee and Lehner are our two must signs of our UFA's.
I agree with Lehner but Nelson is definitely the most important UFA to retain after that. Without Nelson our weakness down the middle just gets even worse

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Isles can't win a cup with him signed for more than he's already earning. Not being able to skate or shoot ...I guess we see why Lou wouldn't cough up what Lee was asking for. I'd rather keep eberle. Probably neither at what they want. I just won't be able to take Lee seriously after that playoff performance. It wasn't just about luck. He was just invisible in every way. The power play is terrible with him, can't get worse

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Isles can't win a cup with him signed for more than he's already earning. Not being able to skate or shoot ...I guess we see why Lou wouldn't cough up what Lee was asking for. I'd rather keep eberle. Probably neither at what they want. I just won't be able to take Lee seriously after that playoff performance. It wasn't just about luck. He was just invisible in every way. The power play is terrible with him, can't get worse

Lee is the 10th in PP goals in the NHL over the last three seasons, Is terrible perhaps strong?

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

How about 152 goals in 425 games on a team that has solid defense and goaltending and needs scoring?

I still see JVR type contract as comparable.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Where is the back door to the locker room that you used to glean this insider info?
Lee and Lehner are our two must signs of our UFA's.

Lee was not good in the NHL playoffs. Lee's game is going to decline rapidly. The NHL is getting faster and Lee stays the same. Guy's supposed to be money on the PP and can't even convert that way.
I don't see how Lee a complimentary player who does not take his game to the next level when games are on the line needs to be back. We need players who are worth $6 million. Not players who will be overpaid because of supply vs. demand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad