NHL.com: Inside Anders Lee’s first year as islanders captain “C”

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Yeah it's sad because he's a guy everyone likes, and Lou will end up with plenty cap space this summer and give it to some new fourth liner making five million a year. If Anders loved the Islanders so much he could probably get a two year deal from us for 16 million assuming Lou can't sign any good free agents. Isles won't be using the cap space anyway. I wouldn't sign Lee for more than two years because the team needs better players. Not another contract that's terrible in three years.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Everyone keeps looking at this from a simple numbers standpoint. The hilarious thing is I got roasted early in the season when I suggested we trade Anders if he hasn't reached a deal by the deadline. That was of course before the Islanders played great hockey and I was fine keeping all the UFA's for the playoffs. However, the same things that are being said now I already said about him.

With that being said, I've actually completely changed my mind. We can see how good coaching can make a team succeed, but there is stuff the average fan doesn't realize that makes a team successful as well which is chemistry. Anders seems to command the respect from his teammates, and this isn't a guess. When you hear from Staple and Trotz on several occasions that this team "is there for each other" it means they have the chemistry needed to succeed. You don't break that up. It trickles down from the owner, to the gm, to the coach to the captain, and to the players. That last trickle down is equally as important as the first trickle down. Anders is going to get overpaid by the Islanders if he signs, he's going to decline, but he's also going to be that leader that is necessary for cup wins. That's all there is to it. You bite the bullet on this one and pay the guy. End of story.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't see how overpaying our own free agents and saddling this team with longterm contracts makes us any better.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You have to overpay free agents. It's part of the game. There is no other way to do it.

Long term deals and overpayments lead to cap trouble.
He's the Captain of the team. Is he gonna really leave this organization high n dry over a few millions or a couple years or is he going to take a little less money and lead this team to glory?
He loves Long Island.
If he signs with Minnesota How is this any different than Tavares?

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
He's the Captain of the team. Is he gonna really leave this organization high n dry over a few millions or a couple years or is he going to take a little less money and lead this team to glory?
He loves Long Island.

It's not though he was way more diplomatic when asked about his future. He would probably still get booed the first time back but nowhere near tavares level and people would clap at his highlight video.

Tavares had years of quotes about how he wanted to stay and blah blah blah.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It's not though he was way more diplomatic when asked about his future. He would probably still get booed the first time back but nowhere near tavares level and people would clap at his highlight video.

Tavares had years of quotes about how he wanted to stay and blah blah blah.
He's also not a franchise player in his prime.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
The difference is fans werent or aren't in love with Lee. JT broke their heart. For many it was their first realization that players don't care about the uniform as much as the fans do. If Lee signs with the penguins or a cup contender for less than Lou offers and says he couldn't pass up chance to win a cup...fans might go little nutty again.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He loves Long Island.

Money talks, so he'd probably leave if the difference was substantial enough.

You've been banging this Tavares drum for a while now with Lee. If you don't understand it by now, you'll never understand it, leave it alone.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Money talks, so he'd probably leave if the difference was substantial enough.

You've been banging this Tavares drum for a while now with Lee. If you don't understand it by now, you'll never understand it, leave it alone.

Letting Tavares go seemed to work out just fine according to this board.
I think it's worse to leave a team over money than wanting to join a team you rooted for as a kid that happens to have more star talent.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Letting Tavares go seemed to work out just fine according to this board.
I think it's worse to leave a team over money than wanting to join a team you rooted for as a kid that happens to have more star talent.

Don't know why, but I'll try again. It's not bad to leave a team over money or fulfilling a childhood dream. It's a business. What is bad is telling everyone with a mic in your face that you don't have that dream....and then having it all be a lie. That's the piece you are missing or intentionally leaving out.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
You think JT went to Toronto because of the pajamas? Wrong. He went because it's where his family and wife is and they are a team that looked significantly better than the Islanders a year ago, with a young core, and could give him a chance to compete against the caps and pens ...JT is a real man, he's not gonna throw his wife under the bus to the media. And he sure is not gonna say "I don't think I can win with this isles team I'm bailing...we only make the playoffs half the time and the teams trending down". JT would never say that. To much of a nice guy. LeBron can say that when he bails on teams. Anyway everyone knows no way JT goes to Toronto if they were coming off another missed playoffs season. He wasn't signing with a bad team unless it was the Islanders. He's not a lunatic.
So the whole leafs thing pajamas etc was a nice excuse to not say "I'm signing with the leafs because barcleys ice and commute is terrible, my wife will be happier in Toronto, and I'm trying to win a cup someday...not miss the playoffs 5 of the next 7 years" .

Reactions: Newsworthy

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
You think JT went to Toronto because of the pajamas? Wrong. He went because it's where his family and wife is and they are a team that looked significantly better than the Islanders a year ago, with a young core, and could give him a chance to compete against the caps and pens ...JT is a real man, he's not gonna throw his wife under the bus to the media. And he sure is not gonna say "I don't think I can win with this isles team I'm bailing...we only make the playoffs half the time and the teams trending down". JT would never say that. To much of a nice guy. LeBron can say that when he bails on teams. Anyway everyone knows no way JT goes to Toronto if they were coming off another missed playoffs season. He wasn't signing with a bad team unless it was the Islanders. He's not a lunatic.
So the whole leafs thing pajamas etc was a nice excuse to not say "I'm signing with the leafs because barcleys ice and commute is terrible, my wife will be happier in Toronto, and I'm trying to win a cup someday...not miss the playoffs 5 of the next 7 years" .
The JT talk has got to stop. He left, end of story. The real man comment is quite amusing, though.

Reactions: ndgolden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad