In Memoriam Howard Johnson's 1925-2022

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1654240031217.png

1654240869679.png

HoJo's was a big part of my childhood. My Mom loved their clam rolls and when she was dying she had me sneak one into Mount Auburn Hospital. The 28 flavors of ice cream were

Banana, Black Raspberry, Burgundy Cherry, Butter Pecan, Buttercrunch, Butterscotch, Caramel Fudge, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip, Coconut, Coffee, Frozen Pudding, Fruit Salad, Fudge Ripple, Lemon Stick, Macaroon, Maple Walnut, Mocha Chip, Orange-Pineapple, Peach, Peanut Brittle, Pecan Brittle, Peppermint Stick, Pineapple, Pistachio, Strawberry, Strawberry Ripple, and Vanilla​

The founder struck gold after WWII when he was able to lock up deals on travel plazas on most expressways in the Northeast into Chicagoland.

In the late 70s, new owners decided the HoJo brand should focus on hotels and they converted many of the restaurants into a new brand called Ground Round.

I went to the last one in New England (Bangor) a week before it closed in 2016

1654243993770.png

1654244016732.png

1654244046742.png

1654244077511.png

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
This did make me sad when I saw the news. Back when I was a yute, early 70s, meand my buddies had breakfast every Sunday at the HoJos in Burlington.
We had a street hockey league in The Burlington Mall parking lot. Back in those days the ‘Blue Laws’ had the mall closed on Sundays.
There’d be numerous games going on. Serious stuff. Jerseys, refs, the whole shabang.

HoJos was right there.Across the street. We’d have our blueberry or corn toasties, glass of oj and go play.

Good times.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I was a regular in the HoJos at the South Shore Plaza weekend early mornings. Right off the highway from the clubs in town. Big Breakfast, scrambled, grilled bagel, no cream cheese.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
That was the “go to” restaurant as a kid riding in the car with my parents and brother. Sort of like McDonalds is today. Liked the ice cream choices.

Reactions: BNHL

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Such a big deal hitting their as a kid

Loved their chocolate chip ice cream for some reason --- the chips were smaller than most places. Don't know why I liked it better or why I even remember this, but I do.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

HoJo's was a big part of my childhood. My Mom loved their clam rolls and when she was dying she had me sneak one into Mount Auburn Hospital. The 28 flavors of ice cream were

Banana, Black Raspberry, Burgundy Cherry, Butter Pecan, Buttercrunch, Butterscotch, Caramel Fudge, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip, Coconut, Coffee, Frozen Pudding, Fruit Salad, Fudge Ripple, Lemon Stick, Macaroon, Maple Walnut, Mocha Chip, Orange-Pineapple, Peach, Peanut Brittle, Pecan Brittle, Peppermint Stick, Pineapple, Pistachio, Strawberry, Strawberry Ripple, and Vanilla​

The founder struck gold after WWII when he was able to lock up deals on travel plazas on most expressways in the Northeast into Chicagoland.

In the late 70s, new owners decided the HoJo brand should focus on hotels and they converted many of the restaurants into a new brand called Ground Round.

View attachment 555321
View attachment 555322
View attachment 555323
View attachment 555324

I remember HoJos. Last time I ate at one was probably back in the 80s though.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Although I've heard the name a lot from when I was a kid, I don't believe I ever went to one. We did go to a Ground Round though way back in the day (mid-90s at least), I never realized that Ground Rounds were a Howard Johnsons brand.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
As a child we lived in Littleton MA. We did not have much money. On our birthdays we could either have a small birthday with kids at our house (cake and ice cream and pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey kind of games) OR go to Howard Johnson's restaurant in Chelmsford for fried clams (no bellies) and ice cream.

1654286166009.png

I just spent a couple of days at my sister's house in Williamstown MA (JUST got home... 3 hour drive) There is a Howard Johnson's hotel there
1654286401032.png

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Sad day, another iconic place from my childhood is gone, along with Brighams and York Steak House.

I loved HoJo's as a kid. I remember that I used to call it "Power Johnson's" (a bit phallic in hindsight) and that I always got a hot dog.

Reactions: pie19

Babajingo

For some reason, I remember there being one at the Braintree split. But that coulda been a bickfords or ihop?
Used to frequent the Red Coach Grill in Hingham and the Ground Round in Cohasset alot. Remember they used to have peanut shells on the floor and woody woodpecker cartoons on the projector.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
For some reason, I remember there being one at the Braintree split. But that coulda been a bickfords or ihop?
Used to frequent the Red Coach Grill in Hingham and the Ground Round in Cohasset alot. Remember they used to have peanut shells on the floor and woody woodpecker cartoons on the projector.

Bickford's was the Braintree exit off the rotary. Hojos was at the Plaza.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

View attachment 555321
View attachment 555322
View attachment 555323
View attachment 555324

I don't believe I ever went to Howard Johnson's.

But I was walking in the, uh, Fenway area the other day and remember that one. I think it had been there forever.

This area of town (I used to live on Park Drive and knew the neighborhood well) has changed a great deal over the past thirty years. I lived there in the 90s. There was a Christie's (I think), a package store and a laundromat. And there was a Star Market.

That was it.

Rest in peace, HOJO.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Although I've heard the name a lot from when I was a kid, I don't believe I ever went to one. We did go to a Ground Round though way back in the day (mid-90s at least), I never realized that Ground Rounds were a Howard Johnsons brand.

Let's not get silly with the nostalgia, but remember The Magic Pan? I think there was one on Boylston back in the early 80s.

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
As a child we lived in Littleton MA. We did not have much money. On our birthdays we could either have a small birthday with kids at our house (cake and ice cream and pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey kind of games) OR go to Howard Johnson's restaurant in Chelmsford for fried clams (no bellies) and ice cream.

View attachment 555444

I just spent a couple of days at my sister's house in Williamstown MA (JUST got home... 3 hour drive) There is a Howard Johnson's hotel there
View attachment 555446
Ha, I grew up there as well. We'd go to Pizza Hut in Acton, or Chuck E Cheese's for our birthdays if we went somewhere, but we did go to Hojos to eat sometimes. My biggest HoJo's memory is from 1978 when we stayed at the Orlando HoJo's Motor Lodge when my folk's brought us to Disney World when I was a kid.
As for the Ice Cream, Kimball's Farm beats HoJos any day.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Ha, I grew up there as well. We'd go to Pizza Hut in Acton, or Chuck E Cheese's for our birthdays if we went somewhere, but we did go to Hojos to eat sometimes. My biggest HoJo's memory is from 1978 when we stayed at the Orlando HoJo's Motor Lodge when my folk's brought us to Disney World when I was a kid.
As for the Ice Cream, Kimball's Farm beats HoJos any day.
Well, I am a bit older. Kimball's has been there since my Mom was a kid. I used to ride my horse to Kimballs....she liked ice cream too.

Now the Kimballs in Westford is huge. When I was a child the ice cream stand was part of the house and the barn (when the stand is now) actually had cows.

Reactions: EvilElf63

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad