How to stop embellishment

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Nobody likes it. But everyone does it. Part of the problem is the powerplay itself.

We all know that fines for players in pro sports is a joke and will always be. So that isn't the answer.

What if an embellishment penalty could be assessed to an offending player after the game. It is too difficult to make the call on the ice.

After video has been seen. And carried over to the next game. Regardless of who the next game is played against. The offending team shouldn't have to start the game down a man because that would be too dominant of a story line. But maybe the start of the 2nd period. All embellishment penalties have to be served at the start of the 2nd.

Let DOPS assess them. Start off with the obvious ones.

Some will say this is crazy. Ok , let's carry on and allow this to get to European soccer level cringe. If it isn't there already.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Call it more and make it a stand alone penalty. No more matching minors, if you embellish your team goes on the PK
f*** that. Two things can be true at the same time. Might as well make the same for retaliatory penalties then, nullify the original one.

I don't really see the big issue here. Embellishment has always happened in sports, and it always will. These guys are trying to win. If you want to throw in a misconduct penalty for it, sure why not. That's about as far as I would go.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If you get caught, you're tossed from the game. If it's missed and only seen after the game, you get suspended.

Agreed. Would obviously have to pretty clearly be a dive.

But essentially embellishment/diving should be treated as cheating - you're trying to mislead/lie to the refs to get an advantage that you don't actually deserve.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Simple. Every game is reviewed after the fact and anyone guilty is given a one game suspension. Double after each incident.

Reactions: Brookbank

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
f*** that. Two things can be true at the same time. Might as well make the same for retaliatory penalties then, nullify the original one.

I don't really see the big issue here. Embellishment has always happened in sports, and it always will. These guys are trying to win. If you want to throw in a misconduct penalty for it, sure why not. That's about as far as I would go.
Embellishment is an anathema to the sport of hockey.

Games and series are being decided on it.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

pretty simple solution to keeping the PP for your team...dont dive

Reactions: SPV

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
pretty simple solution to keeping the PP for your team...dont dive
If the rules were to ever change in that direction, the refs would pretty much stop calling embellishment penalties. It would still happen, but there would be zero punishment. Because the outcry from the players, coaches, GMs and owners on their player called for an embellishment when it didn't happen would be so loud.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Call it when you see it, fine it when you don’t. It’s pretty easy for most of us to see on a replay. Players that get multiple violations will start to get a rep and draw less calls sooner or later.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If it's obvious, then absolutely they should call it.

But, the last time I checked, it still hurts to get hit in the face. And sometimes, just getting clipped in the right spot can hurt a lot more than taking a seemingly harder shot somewhere else. So, if there's contact, who exactly gets to decide which responses to high sticks are appropriate and which aren't? Or whether or not something is sufficient for the player to have legitimately tripped, or if they went down too easily? Seems like a very subjective type of thing, which means the league will handle it just like players safety, and none of it will make any sense. Is that really what people want?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Ok , we are going there in this thread

Games and series are also being decided by goaltender interference. That's a MUCH bigger issue than embellishment.
Goaltender interference is not blatantly cowardly like faking penalties is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad