How strong is SPHL?

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Yes, but there are others who don't have your level of hockey knowledge. They come on here to ask questions because it's more fun than just Googling the answer. It never occurs to them that they will be criticized instead.
Yeah, I'm not an idiot. I understand that people come here for conversation. Why do you think I'm here?

I was just refuting you saying I followed my own advice.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Yup. Look at a guy like Mark Sibbald, the fourth goalie and rarely saw the ice at Brown, a perennial bottom feeder in Division I, goes to Huntsville and becomes a starter with a winning record for three seasons. There are plenty of other examples, but there's one off the top of my head.

This guy played Major Juniors and ECHL and he's not exactly tearing the SPHL up.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

This guy played Major Juniors and ECHL and he's not exactly tearing the SPHL up.

In what world is 80 points in 53 games last season not "tearing it up?" He has 22 points in 16 games this year. The Birmingham and Evansville teams he played on were terrible.

He was a decent player in the WHL in his final season, but plenty of guys like that go on to do nothing in the ECHL. You forget that as an overager in major junior, he's playing against a lot of 17- and 18-year-olds, who, just because of his slight edge in physical maturity, he's going to have an advantage over. Put him in the ECHL, and he's immediately playing against guys bigger and older than him. That advantage goes away, and maybe he's mopes because he's not producing and stops developing.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
SPHL is mostly for players that haven't faced the hard fact. They need to get a real job. Their hockey dream is long over. Make more money slinging burgers at McDonald's.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
There's SPHL players that play in my beer league, lol.

The highest level I ever played was high-school. If that doesn't tell you how strong the SPHL is, I don't know what will.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
There's SPHL players that play in my beer league, lol.

The highest level I ever played was high-school. If that doesn't tell you how strong the SPHL is, I don't know what will.

That just tells me there's a big talent gap on the rosters between the top of your beer league, which is almost certainly the SPHL guys, and the bottom of your beer league. And probably not just from the top teams to the bottom teams, but on each roster, too.

Reactions: SemireliableSource

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad