Beginners: Help! I Can't Get It Up!

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Hey ya'll so I've started to pick up hockey about a year ago. I've never really skated and such before so it's been quite a learning process. I've recently started to get more comfortable with my skating ability so I've been going to a few stick and skate sessions to practice my stickhandling and shooting.

The one thing that's been really bothering me is that I can't seem to get a wrist shot off the ice. I'm almost 100% sure my technique is wrong. However, I've read many articles and watched many tutorial videos on Youtube and such and my shots are still just flush against the ice.
I'm trying to cup the puck near the heel of my stick and rotate my upper hand and opening up the stick during the shot.
I've even had friends who played hockey explain to me how to do it and I still can't seem to lift the puck. Am I too weak or something?? :S

Do you guys have any tips?
How did you guys learn to lift the puck when you started out?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
:handclap:

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I'm no expert in the mechanics of it all, so not gonna tell you how, but I certainly don't think you should be trying to shoot it off the heel.

Have you checked out the 'how to hockey' clips on YouTube?

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I'm no expert in the mechanics of it all, so not gonna tell you how, but I certainly don't think you should be trying to shoot it off the heel.

Have you checked out the 'how to hockey' clips on YouTube?

I've seen this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZqBSBpAsE0
It still feels like I'm "sweeping" the puck instead of shooting it. I guess I may have to just practice the wrist motion more.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I would suggest it's probably easier to get the hang of on dry land with a few pucks and a wall than trying to pick up the fundamentals of it on the ice, especially if you're not too strong on your skates.

Last edited:

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I would suggest it's probably easier to get the hang of on dry land with a few picks and a wall than trying to pick up the fundamentals of it on the ice, especially if you're not too strong on your skates.

I'll definitely try this one out! Thanks

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I think in the Internet age too, if you don't have actual coaching or a lesson then it's far easier to learn from seeing someone do it on YouTube than it is to read it from a book of to try and articulate it for someone in words.

But you can't beat trial and error either. If you do it enough and try a few different things you will get the hang of it.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Load up on your legs (which leg vary depending on if your shot is done while in movement or standing still).

Cup the puck. <- If you don't know how to do this / aren't doing it now, concentrate on this, will drastically improve the vector of puck movement through the air.

Don't roll your wrist, keep the blade open. <- If you don't know how to do this / aren't doing it now, concentrate on this, will drastically improve the vector of puck movement through the air.

Shoot across your body. (once again, will vary depending on if your shot is done while in movement or standing still).
Start with moving... it's harder but also more useful as I've found standing still to be a limited exercise.

practice.practice.practice <- If you don't know how to do this / aren't doing it now, concentrate on this, will drastically improve the vector of puck movement through the air.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
One thing I focused on when I was just beginning was kind of forcing my stick into the ice a bit before I shot. I made sure I was really leaning on the stick and using the flex to get height and velocity. I'm just a bender, so don't take this as expert advice or anything. It's just something that helped me.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
You are definitely not too weak (although it's possible your stick's flex is too high but that probably isn't the real problem). IMO technique trumps strength.

Watch all the youtube videos about how to take a wrist shot and keep practicing. IMO weight transfer and cupping the puck are the most important.

Are you following through high(er)?

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
You are definitely not too weak (although it's possible your stick's flex is too high but that probably isn't the real problem). IMO technique trumps strength.

Watch all the youtube videos about how to take a wrist shot and keep practicing. IMO weight transfer and cupping the puck are the most important.

Are you following through high(er)?

I am following through.
I think the weight transfer is the part I don't really get. It's a completely new concept to me.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Think of the puck like a frisbee. You want the puck to fly similarly to a frisbee, which means that you will have to impart a rotation to the puck by flicking your wrist with a motion similar to throwing a frisbee with your forehand.

Make sure your hands are positioned properly on your stick. I used the length of my forearm as a rule of thumb to place my bottom hand on the shaft.

Follow through high as you release the shot and you should have good results. I learned how to shoot the puck by watching YT videos and practicing. Practices makes perfect, I used to take 100-200 shots of all varieties to get a good technique. You will refine your technique once you can get the puck off the ice.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Think of the puck like a frisbee. You want the puck to fly similarly to a frisbee, which means that you will have to impart a rotation to the puck by flicking your wrist with a motion similar to throwing a frisbee with your forehand.

Make sure your hands are positioned properly on your stick. I used the length of my forearm as a rule of thumb to place my bottom hand on the shaft.

Follow through high as you release the shot and you should have good results. I learned how to shoot the puck by watching YT videos and practicing. Practices makes perfect, I used to take 100-200 shots of all varieties to get a good technique. You will refine your technique once you can get the puck off the ice.

When people say "flick the wrist", which wrist am I flicking? I shoot left. So am I flicking my right hand (top of stick) or left hand?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
When people say "flick the wrist", which wrist am I flicking? I shoot left. So am I flicking my right hand (top of stick) or left hand?

Flick your left wrist, this gives the extra power and accuracy to your shot. Most of the power and accuracy comes from the weight transfer and the body mechanics (feet placement, follow through).

Here is a cool video by Mike Cammalleri, his technique is perfect

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Flick your left wrist, this gives the extra power and accuracy to your shot. Most of the power and accuracy comes from the weight transfer and the body mechanics (feet placement, follow through).

Here is a cool video by Mike Cammalleri, his technique is perfect

Cool. Thanks dude. I'll keep working at it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Cool. Thanks dude. I'll keep working at it.

If you have any other questions, post them here or send me a PM.
When you master the basics of the wrist shot, you'll see that there are a bunch of different ways to take a wrist shot. These days, with composite sticks, you can shoot ridiculously hard just by taking advantage of their flexibility.

I don't know what you're using, but once you get the motion of the wrist shot (wind-up, flick and follow through), you should work on using the flexibility of your stick to get more accuracy and power.

Keep working, getting better at shooting is all about putting in reps.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
If you have any other questions, post them here or send me a PM.
When you master the basics of the wrist shot, you'll see that there are a bunch of different ways to take a wrist shot. These days, with composite sticks, you can shoot ridiculously hard just by taking advantage of their flexibility.

I don't know what you're using, but once you get the motion of the wrist shot (wind-up, flick and follow through), you should work on using the flexibility of your stick to get more accuracy and power.

Keep working, getting better at shooting is all about putting in reps.

I'm pretty small and weak. I'm 5'7" / 130lbs and most of my strength is in my legs. I'm currently using a 85 flex. Is that too stiff for me? Does that make wrist shots harder to master?

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
I am following through.
I think the weight transfer is the part I don't really get. It's a completely new concept to me.

Have you ever played baseball? Weight goes from front back foot to front foot. The mechanics of shooting and hitting a baseball are obviously a bit different but you still have weight transfer, torso rotation, and snapping wrists for more power.

Seeing your other post about weight/height/flex. I'm guessing you are using a senior stick and if you cut it the flex is even higher than what is on the stick. While I can take a wrist shot with my teammates 110 flex way too long stick, I get ALOT more power when I take one with my shorter -5" and much lower flex (75 uncut/ ~90 cut). Simple suggestion is try an intermediate (65 flex) if you can.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm pretty small and weak. I'm 5'7" / 130lbs and most of my strength is in my legs. I'm currently using a 85 flex. Is that too stiff for me? Does that make wrist shots harder to master?

It definitely does. You can still shoot the puck with decent speed if you have a stick that is too stiff for you, but you miss out on a lot of power.

I'm 6' 155 lbs and I find a 75 flex to be perfect for me. At your size, I would try an intermediate 65-70 flex. You want to get the most out of your stick, the flex of the stick alone can propel the puck.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
It definitely does. You can still shoot the puck with decent speed if you have a stick that is too stiff for you, but you miss out on a lot of power.

I'm 6' 155 lbs and I find a 75 flex to be perfect for me. At your size, I would try an intermediate 65-70 flex. You want to get the most out of your stick, the flex of the stick alone can propel the puck.

+1

I'm 5'9" 165 lbs. Changing from an 85 flex to a 75 completely changed my shot. I went from slowly drifting fluttering muffins to having goalies ***** about gloving my shots. Another thing that I really am still working on is getting my hands low on the stick. Just starting, I completely underestimated the ability for NHL'ers to get the flex out of their stick while keeping their hands fairly close. Once I started opening up my hand (distance between them) my aim and power increased dramatically, but YMMV.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
+1

I'm 5'9" 165 lbs. Changing from an 85 flex to a 75 completely changed my shot. I went from slowly drifting fluttering muffins to having goalies ***** about gloving my shots. Another thing that I really am still working on is getting my hands low on the stick. Just starting, I completely underestimated the ability for NHL'ers to get the flex out of their stick while keeping their hands fairly close. Once I started opening up my hand (distance between them) my aim and power increased dramatically, but YMMV.

This is how the pros shoot wrist shots at 75+ MPH, while we struggle to get slap shots at that speed. Kessel uses a 75 flex and he's like 200 lbs.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Not sure if Phil Kessel is the best example to illustrate proper shooting technique to a beginner. His style is greatly effective, but also unique to him.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
one of the biggest things that people have kind of mentioned is that you HAVE to use the strength in your bottom hand (flexing the stick). it's something I very rarely hear people mention when teaching newbies how to shoot. following through is key as well. don't try to learn weight transfer from watching pros. most of them shoot off the "wrong foot" which is not advisable for someone just starting out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad