Rumor: Habs interested in Maxim Tsyplakov (upd: signed with the Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I really think it’s waste of a contract spot.

Anyway, proove me wrong Sekac 2.0

I tend to agree that this is a waste of a contract spot.

It's like 95% of the undrafted overager coming from Europe are dud, that much isn't a reason to not try to sign him.
If he can't get the job done he will end up in the AHL or ask for the Habs to terminate his contract so he can go back to being a KHL Hero.

The Habs don't have crazy expectations here, if Tsyplakov pan out into something that can do more than play a regular shift in the NHL, then that's a win. If he can't do that, then nothing of value was lost.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is as low risk as anything could POSSIBLY be and there's a bunch of people punching air over it.

1. It's a free wallet
2. It's a 1 year ELC
3. If he sucks you can waive him or mutually terminate DURING the season
4. If he's good, see 1.
5. If the prospects you guys love can't beat him out in training camp, it says more about the prospect than it does about this KHLer.
6. It's a 1 year contract, it does not materially impact our contract limit in any way.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'm really struggling to grasp how this would be a waste of a contract slot. The Habs aren't going to pass on a Martin Necas trade or something if they sign this guy. The upside is its a free NHL player who costs nothing and the worst case scenario if he struggles is he ends up in the AHL replacing a Mitchell Stephens type of signing or just agrees to a mutual termination and goes back to Russia.
I really think it’s waste of a contract spot.

Anyway, proove me wrong Sekac 2.0
Sekac played 100 NHL games. Sekac 2.0 on a 1 year ELC would be a much better outcome than most ELCs or veteran signings!

Don't really get your Tuch comment. He's 22 and there's no harm in him playing some AHL games, but if he's ready for the NHL they'll just scratch Pezzetta and/or Ylonen for him anyway. Tsyplakov is more of an Ylonen replacement or potentially Armia if we trade him, Tuch will be directly competing with Pezzetta.

Last edited:

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
If we don't try anything, we won't get anything.

Quality UFAs won't line up to our door just yet, and most of our F prospects need some AHL seasoning... so yeah, may as well try to be creative, contract spots are irrelevant in our current situation, he'll probably be signed for 1 or 2 years top anyway.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Sekac was brought in another era. We have the development squad now in place. and given how much hes been progressing, its worth a shot. lets give him a half season at least to see what he can do. If he's descent, he can at least help out with some of the other young russians we have already drafted and maybe one that we will soon
Pls enough of this development BS - did Hawks “develop” Panarin or Minny “develop” Kaprizov?

Why hasn’t KK “developed” despite Svechnikov, Jarvis, Necas etc all “developing” w Canes?

Players simply need time to mature and that time is different for every player - fact of the matter is many simply don’t “develop”

Sekac was a flawed hockey player who didn’t take his profession seriously enough given rumored off ice issues - successful NHLers are dedicated professionals or they simply don’t last in the best hockey league in the world

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
The thing with these KHL signings and the reason why they are usually duds see: Sekac, Shipachev etc... is that the KHL is nowhere close to the NHL.

These guys come to NA realize how fast the game is and how little time they have to react and they struggle.

I appreciate the fact that management is active, but the law of average state this signing will fail like most of those before it.

Hope I'm wrong!

Reactions: vokiel

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I personally don't see a risk with these types of signings. They only cost a contract spot and if it doesn't pan out it either leads to a mutual contract termination or the player leaving in a year. Considering the cost, it's always worth taking the risk that we could discover a useful player.

That said, expectations should be set accordingly. It's like buying something at a thrift store. Things are cheap for a reason, the odds of finding a nice shirt or appliance are pretty low.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Pls enough of this development BS - did Hawks “develop” Panarin or Minny “develop” Kaprizov?

Why hasn’t KK “developed” despite Svechnikov, Jarvis, Necas etc all “developing” w Canes?

Players simply need time to mature and that time is different for every player - fact of the matter is many simply don’t “develop”

Sekac was a flawed hockey player who didn’t take his profession seriously enough given rumored off ice issues - successful NHLers are dedicated professionals or they simply don’t last in the best hockey league in the world
Bergy? Dat you?

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Signing a guy to a contract who has a shot to make the team isn't a waste of a contract spot.

An example of wasting a contract spot would be Bergevin signing an undrafted player like Waked, who at best would've been a mediocre AHLer, to an NHL contract.
If he is signed we will have our answer soon enough

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Nothing wrong with the idea of signing him, I just don’t believe he signs with the Habs. It’s usually the same teams -Toronto, Boston, NYR, etc

Reactions: 417 and Tyson

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Demidov still has another year in Russia and Tsyplakov can't get anything but a 1 year ELC contract and if he doesn't fit, I doubt he gets extended.

If the Habs want a buddy for Demidov, they have a few Russian prospects who are either already available to come over or at the same time as Demidov.

if the Habs want a buddy for Demidov they can just draft his older brother with one of the late picks they have, also has 1 year left on his contract in the VHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad