Rumor: Habs interested in Maxim Tsyplakov (upd: signed with the Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Look at his numbers from previous seasons. This isn't a 21 year old who played sheltered minutes coming out of junior. No on sustains a shooting percentage of 19.9%.

The opposition would be that, at least in my case, is he really any better than Roy? Doesn't Roy deserve the chance? I'd rather give the time to one of our own or a Dach-like player we might acquire with the draft capital we have.

I'm not interesting in a bidding war for an unknown that results in a contract we can't bury either. Save the contract space for a likely plug when we get rid of more of the ones we already have.

Outside of the opposition, it's about how these guys from the KHL that have amazing years get their tires pumped and promoted as the next great thing or a savior when they're more likely to struggle on NHL ice, at NHL pace, and be little more than plugs.

It's an ELC, there's no bidding war.

He's not being hailed as a savior.

It's a free scratch ticket. If he gets beat out by Roy, then he gets beat out, if Roy can't beat him out in camp then we can agree that Roy would need more AHL time or that Tsyplakov is actually really good?

There is no reason to not want to take a one year ELC on a guy our scouts are intrigued by. Nor would the organization intentionally keep the better young players off the roster to play this guy if he wasn't up to snuff.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Look at his numbers from previous seasons. This isn't a 21 year old who played sheltered minutes coming out of junior. No on sustains a shooting percentage of 19.9%.

The opposition would be that, at least in my case, is he really any better than Roy? Doesn't Roy deserve the chance? I'd rather give the time to one of our own or a Dach-like player we might acquire with the draft capital we have.

I'm not interesting in a bidding war for an unknown that results in a contract we can't bury either. Save the contract space for a likely plug when we get rid of more of the ones we already have.

Outside of the opposition, it's about how these guys from the KHL that have amazing years get their tires pumped and promoted as the next great thing or a savior when they're more likely to struggle on NHL ice, at NHL pace, and be little more than plugs.
He'd more likely be taking Ylonen's spot and not Roy's, and that's if he actually makes the NHL team. Quite a few of these older euro signings end up starting in the AHL.

If he's only willing to sign with a guarantee of NHL time then sure we should pass as that's not a guarantee we should make. But I kind of doubt any team is giving him that kind of guarantee so it's probably irrelevant.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He reminds me of a player that the Vegas GK would be highly interested in.

From the highlights I’ve seen, if he has time to get that shot off it’s a beauty. Can he develop further on the smaller rink. He’s also got some decent skates but there’s times here he looks extremely uncomfortable in his skating and that’s how some of his goals came. Reminds me of Sennecke when he had that growth spurt.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He'd more likely be taking Ylonen's spot and not Roy's, and that's if he actually makes the NHL team. Quite a few of these older euro signings end up starting in the AHL.

If he's only willing to sign with a guarantee of NHL time then sure we should pass as that's not a guarantee we should make. But I kind of doubt any team is giving him that kind of guarantee so it's probably irrelevant.

You can just mutually terminate the contract if someone bumps him down.

Roy is not a lock on the NHL roster.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It's an ELC, there's no bidding war.

He's not being hailed as a savior.

It's a free scratch ticket. If he gets beat out by Roy, then he gets beat out, if Roy can't beat him out in camp then we can agree that Roy would need more AHL time or that Tsyplakov is actually really good?

There is no reason to not want to take a one year ELC on a guy our scouts are intrigued by. Nor would the organization intentionally keep the better young players off the roster to play this guy if he wasn't up to snuff.

We just drafted Konyushkov and Volokhin who most people around here didn't know about and both are looking like excellent picks. If our new management is intrigued by this guy, then it is a no brainer to try and sign him given there is zero risk.

No one is expecting him to be another Panarin, but even if he ends up like an Ilya Mikheyev and can add some secondary scoring and size to our bottom six it is a worthwhile signing.

We just spent a decade watching Bergevin hand out $3-4M contracts non-stop to bottom six guys, so if HuGo's plan is to fill out his roster using cheaper players so he can spend more on our top 6 F/top 4 D, I am all for it.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Yet surely if he's the Bedard level prospect, he would be able to outscore Reid Boucher?
In his D+1, OV was significantly outscored by former elite NHL players such as Maxim Sushinsky and Dmitri Zatonsky, and also outscored by 2-years older Alexander Perezhogin.

This means nothing. Stats in Russia for young players shouldn't be compared to older, more established players in that way (i.e he should be outscoring Boucher)

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In his D+1, OV was significantly outscored by former elite NHL players such as Maxim Sushinsky and Dmitri Zatonsky, and also outscored by 2-years older Alexander Perezhogin.

This means nothing. Stats in Russia for young players shouldn't be compared to older, more established players in that way (i.e he should be outscoring Boucher)

Way different back then.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

200w.gif
:nod::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: HabbyGuy

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
That can be said about almost any team outside of the NHL......
Yeah but directly comparing team mates is a good indicator that he possibly won't translate. Especially when that team mate was a 20 point NHLer and is responsible for all of his production.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Way different back then.1
It's still like this, where younger players (usually under 23) do not get the same preferential treatment more established players get. Michkov was loaned so he could get more playing time, but as a result played on a shitty team.

Panarin was ~0.5 ppg in his theoritical D+1, and was outscored by Chris Simon (RIP) on the same team. Kaprizov was also around 0.5 ppg in his D+1 (and also played on an awful team). Michkov's production in his D+1 just happens to be like 70% higher than these two star players.

What Michkov is currently doing at his age is not just great, it's incredible and probably never seen before (again, for his age). Is it a guarantee that he becomes as good as Bedard? No. He has flaws, but the upside is absolutely there.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah but directly comparing team mates is a good indicator that he possibly won't translate. Especially when that team mate was a 20 point NHLer and is responsible for all of his production.

You can't make such statements if you haven't seen them play.

Maybe he's the one helping them get more points? Both Goldobin and Poryadin had their best year by far and Loktionov had his best year since a while.

The scouting reports are intriguing and given that it has to be a 1-year ELC, it's minimal risk high reward.

Who knows exactly where he is between "back to Russia" after camp and a middle-6 guy, but given the only cost is a contract spot, he's well worth it.

Reactions: calder candidate

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
You can't make such statements if you haven't seen them play.

Maybe he's the one helping them get more points? Both Goldobin and Poryadin had their best year by far and Loktionov had his best year since a while.

The scouting reports are intriguing and given that it has to be a 1-year ELC, it's minimal risk high reward.

Who knows exactly where he is between "back to Russia" after camp and a middle-6 guy, but given the only cost is a contract spot, he's well worth it.
I've never met the 40 point guy who was responsible for the 80 point player but I won't say it's impossible.

Too bad, he reached his ceiling at 19 years old, apparently...
1528812179-zidane.png
The arguement was that michkov would be having 40 goal hundred points seasons immediately if he crossed the ocean.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Just saw Goldobin in Grosplakov's highlights, i just found out that he had 78pts in 67 games (37 goals) and it's almost his double from last season. He's only 28, i wonder if he'd be interested to try his luck in NA again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad