Proposal: Gibson and Vatrano to Toronto

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Adding Vatrano makes it too complicated and he’s a player that the Ducks will need this year. Better to propose something just around Gibson.

Reactions: McDonald19

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Leafs need an upgrade in goal and defense. Nothing in this proposal addresses those needs.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Leafs have a terrible track record of giving away young players before they reach their full potential. They're also not that young of a team, and the prospect cupboard is empty. I wouldn't trade Minton.

Reactions: Tarmore

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Gibson from 5 years ago maybe... he was a top goalie then, but, now, maybe its depression from losing too much, but, he is not the same goalie and been getting worse each season.
Minten and the picks hold much more value to Toronto, and the Leafs cannot afford to put their eggs in a potentially washed up goalie basket.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I'm ok with the Ducks moving on from Gibson & he probably wants a change of scenery by now (willing to waive NTC if needed...but... I can't see him waiving for Toronto & the media/fan circus). But not this deal. Besides, Frank is needed on the team next year (nor do they really have a use for Minten/another Center)

So an offer for Gibson (with or without retention) could be hashed out. However, the Ducks already have seven (eight?) picks in the first three rounds this draft. Offering them a mid/late 1st & a 3rd probably isn't going to move the needle much at all.

Not really seeing Anaheim & Toronto as good trading partners at this time.

Reactions: mrshootthepuck

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Gibson from 5 years ago maybe... he was a top goalie then, but, now, maybe its depression from losing too much, but, he is not the same goalie and been getting worse each season.
Minten and the picks hold much more value to Toronto, and the Leafs cannot afford to put their eggs in a potentially washed up goalie basket.
5 years ago he wouldn't come at 50% retained for basically a 3rd and C prospect.

Obviously Gibson is not the same guy and personally I think it is 100% the environment. For like 3 years he started every year off like an elite goalie and then eventually stoped trying after facing 40 shots a game for 20 games. Can't exactly blame him.

Any team taking him is taking a shot that he will rebound. At 50% retained this should be a no brainer when you consider Vatrano will get a 1st by himself at the deadline if he continues playing like he has in his 2 years in Anaheim.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
5 years ago he wouldn't come at 50% retained for basically a 3rd and C prospect.

Obviously Gibson is not the same guy and personally I think it is 100% the environment. For like 3 years he started every year off like an elite goalie and then eventually stoped trying after facing 40 shots a game for 20 games. Can't exactly blame him.

Any team taking him is taking a shot that he will rebound. At 50% retained this should be a no brainer when you consider Vatrano will get a 1st by himself at the deadline if he continues playing like he has in his 2 years in Anaheim.
Forget all value, how about this...
given the Leafs playoff history and expectations, would a underperforming goalie over the last 5 years be the guy you would expect to turn his career around and lead them to a Cup?

I wouldnt take that risk, even though I think he is 'still' better than his numbers, but, a lot depends on what the Leafs do this off season on Defense,
the Leafs D hasnt been more talented than the Ducks the past few years and we have gone through a few goalies that put up very good regular season numbers.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Forget all value, how about this...
given the Leafs playoff history and expectations, would a underperforming goalie over the last 5 years be the guy you would expect to turn his career around and lead them to a Cup?

I wouldnt take that risk, even though I think he is 'still' better than his numbers, but, a lot depends on what the Leafs do this off season on Defense,
the Leafs D hasnt been more talented than the Ducks the past few years and we have gone through a few goalies that put up very good regular season numbers.
The Ducks havent sucked because their D sucks. It has been a whole team system failure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad