GDT: GER vs. LAT May 15, 2024

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Not feeling too confident about this one. We havent looked stellar in the first 3 games and if the coaches havent found a solution to our constant turnovers in the O-zone Germany will punish us.

I'm looking it from other perspective - hard to believe we can be such turnover machine for 4th game in the row? Nice to have weaker opponents in the beginning and lose 2 points when it could be much worse and fix it.

Nothing to back it up, just a gut feeling.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
A must win game for both teams, particularly Latvia. Since this is a back-to-back, Elvis is likely starting.

I'd say it's 60/40 in favor of Germany, but anything can happen in a single game of hockey. We need to stay away from the penalty box and maybe not waste grade A chances every single period. Looking at you, Dzierkals.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
A must win game for both teams, particularly Latvia. Since this is a back-to-back, Elvis is likely starting.
I think unless Elvis craps the bad today, he will play every single game from onwards (if we are not eliminated from playoff contention early of course).

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
is it me or peterka kinda sucks so far? not like the rest of the team is doing any better but still

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
is it me or peterka kinda sucks so far? not like the rest of the team is doing any better but still
He's been overplaying his shifts and maybe trying to do too much on his own. The skill level pops right out the screen, though. So I wouldn't worry about him.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
looking forward to that game. both teams haven't met expectations yet but I think they are struggling a bit because it is always more difficult to repeat a good performance the following year and as a silver/bronze medallist you have something to lose and to deal with higher expectations

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
The scheduling has made it difficult to gauge how these team stands. Germany has played vs Slovakia, USA and Sweden. Latvia vs Poland, France and Kazakhstan. Germany did beat Slovakia, but didn't look good at all vs Sweden. While Latvia won all of their games, but both Poland and France forced OT.

This game could determine which of these teams make the QF. It is between these two and Slovakia for the final two QF spots

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Not sure if this lineup I found is confirmed, but we may see Germany play like this.

Lukas Reichel – Wojciech Stachowiak – JJ Peterka
Frederik Tiffels – Nico Sturm – Dominik Kahun
Leo Pföderl – Marc Michaelis – Yasin Ehliz
Parker Tuomie – Maximilian Kastner – Alexander Ehl

Jonas Müller – Kai Wissmann
Maksymilian Szuber – Moritz Müller
Fabian Wagner – Lukas Kälble
Colin Ugbekile – Tobias Fohrler

Philipp Grubauer
Mathias Niederberger

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
With everyone thinking Merzlikins or Gudlevskis, we should just say ''eff it'' and put Vitols in the net.

Jokes aside, yes, Elvis is not to blame for any of the goals, but subjectively speaking I would not mind Gudlevskis playing today. Sure, it's back to back, but if we lose, none of the other games will matter, probably (I don't believe we can get enough points in remaining games to somehow reverse deficit in such case) AND I've never been a fan of Elvis showman flail-around-the-net-like-stung-by-bees style of game.

Edit: Gudļevskis in net. Good.

Last edited:

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Looking at you, Dzierkals.
I dont mind Dzierkals on the top line. Abols and Daugavins are scoring at a really good rate, they dont need a third scorer there, especially since there are only 4-5 of those in the lineup. Dzierkals is completely fine as a disruptive motor who allows Abols and Daugavins to do their thing. If it comes with Dzierkals wasting several chances per game, its still good enough.
I expect more from out third line, which is actually our second one on paper. Indrasis came in big last year when it mattered, and it will matter today.
Batna and Tralmaks would make a great heavy, gritty third line that can score in any fashion in any situation. Both Gavars and Krastenbergs would compliment them well.
I would actually stop waiting for the NHLers and just put Lavins in as a 4th line centre. Egle can then play wing with Batna.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I dont mind Dzierkals on the top line. Abols and Daugavins are scoring at a really good rate, they dont need a third scorer there, especially since there are only 4-5 of those in the lineup. Dzierkals is completely fine as a disruptive motor who allows Abols and Daugavins to do their thing. If it comes with Dzierkals wasting several chances per game, its still good enough.
I expect more from out third line, which is actually our second one on paper. Indrasis came in big last year when it mattered, and it will matter today.
Batna and Tralmaks would make a great heavy, gritty third line that can score in any fashion in any situation. Both Gavars and Krastenbergs would compliment them well.
I would actually stop waiting for the NHLers and just put Lavins in as a 4th line centre. Egle can then play wing with Batna.
I disagree with you almost entirely except about the 3rd line. I expected more of them and they should step up today.

You shouldn't be making a gritty heavy forward out of a goal scorer and a goal scorer out of an SHL 4th liner. And as long as Edmonton wins their next game, we should wait. They can make it in time for the USA game and the play-offs. I thought about it myself, but the cost/benefit here is heavily in favor of waiting. Lavins will not really contribute anything at this point and time, he's more of an injury insurance. He doesn't have the size and upper body strength yet to be an upgrade over Egle at C.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Hard one to predict. Germany are favourites on paper based on the rosters, but they have not looked great in recent games... Latvia has won all three games so far, but against weak opposition and even then twice only in OT. Either team could do it. Maybe slight edge to Germany? But I would not be surprised if Latvia does it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad