GDT: GDT #74 New York Islanders @ Philadelphia Flyers | April 1st | 7:00 PM | F/4-3 OTW

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
1711982657917.png

NEW YORK ISLANDERS (31-27-15) AT PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (36-29-10)
7 PM ET | WELLS FARGO CENTER
WATCH: MSGSN | MSG+ | ESPN+
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 1050AM

Monday’s matchup between the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers could go a long way in determining the playoff prospects for two teams in the wild card hunt.

The Islanders (77 points) are five points back of the Flyers (82 points) for the final playoff position in the Eastern Conference with two games in hand.A regulation win over the Flyers would narrow the gap to three points and put the squeeze on Philadelphia, while a regulation loss would create a seven-point gulf with two-and-a-half weeks left in the season.

It’s a high-stakes game for a pair of teams who have struggled of late, with the Islanders entering the game 2-7-1 in their last 10 games, while the Flyers are 0-3-1 in their last four contests. The Isles fell 4-1 to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday night, while Philadelphia dropped a 5-1 decision to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Monday marks the third and final meeting of the season between the Isles and Flyers. The Isles are 1-0-1 against Philadelphia this season, most recently falling 1-0 in a shootout on Nov. 25.

This is the Isles’ only trip to Philly this season. They are 7-2-2 in their last 11 games at Wells Fargo Center.

1711982677408.png

ISLES NOTES:

- Semyon Varlamov made 36 saves on 39 shots in Saturday’s loss to Tampa and has started the first two games of the Islanders three-game trip. With a day off on Sunday, the Isles have not named a goalie for Monday’s tilt in Philly, but the team will likely split duties for the back-to-back set that ends with a home date against Chicago on Tuesday.

Varlamov has not started three consecutive games since Mar. 29 – Apr. 1, 2022. He is 3-1-1 in his last five starts, while Ilya Sorokin has lost six-straight games.

Both Isles goalies have fared well against the Flyers of late. Varlamov is 5-1-1 with a 2.68 GAA and a .907 SV% against Philly since joining the Isles in 2019-20. Sorokin is 9-2-2 with a 1.50 GAA, a .949 SV% and three shutouts lifetime against the Flyers.

- Head Coach Patrick Roy juggled his line combos on Saturday, with Bo Horvat shifting to the wing on a line with JG Pageau and Anders Lee. Mathew Barzal centered a line with Hudson Fasching and Casey Cizikas. Pierre Engvall was reunited with Brock Nelson and Kyle Palmieri.

Adam Pelech and Ryan Pulock were paired together midway through the game, as were Alex Romanov and Noah Dobson.

The Islanders were off on Sunday, so more lineup information will be available after morning skate.

- Kyle Palmieri scored the lone goal on Saturday, netting his 24th goal of the season. Palmieri last hit the 25-goal mark in 2019-20. Palmieri has hit the 25-goal mark four times in his career.

- Mathew Barzal has 27 points (9G, 18A) in 28 career games against the Flyers.

FLYERS NOTES:

- Travis Konecny leads the team with 31 goals and 64 points. Konecny’s 64 points are a new-career high (previously 61) while his 31 goals are tied for a career-high, set last season. Konecny has a team-high – and career-high – five shorthanded goals this season. He has six points (4G, 2A) in his last six games.

- There’s intrigue in the Flyers crease, as goaltender Ivan Fedotov has arrived in Philadelphia, two years after signing his entry-level contract in May 2022. There’s a lot more to the story here, as Fedotov intended to come to North America, but wound up having to complete a year of military service. After completing his military obligations, he signed a two-year contract with CSKA Moscow in the KHL.

After one year with CSKA, where he posted a 21-22-1 record, 2.37 goals against average, .914 save percentage and four shutouts, CSKA terminated Fedotov’s contract allowing him to join the Flyers. In total, Fedotov played parts of seven seasons in the KHL (2014-15, 2017-22, 2013-24) and went 79-68-8 with a 2.18 GAA, a .923 SV% and 12 shutouts in 164 career games.

The 6-foot-7 netminder, who was originally selected by the Flyers in the 7th round (188th overall) of the 2015 NHL Draft, backed up Samuel Ersson on Saturday night. Ersson, a rookie, has assumed the bulk of the workload with Carter Hart on an indefinitely leave from the team. Ersson has played in 24 of Philadelphia’s 29 games since Jan. 21, going 9-11-4 over that span with a 3.26 GAA and an .876 SV%.

- Owen Tippett has matched his career-high in both goals (27) and points (49), both set last season in Philly. He’s heating up of late with 27 points (15G, 12A) in his last 32 games.

- Rookie Tyson Foerster has hit the 20-goal mark this season, which is tied for second in rookie goals in the NHL. Foerster was the 23rd overall pick in the 2020 Draft and spent last season with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms. Foerster has three goals in his last five games.

- Defenseman Jamie Drysdale has missed 16 games with an upper-body injury. Drysdale was acquired from Anaheim for Cutter Gauthier on Jan. 8. Drysdale had four points (2G, 2A) in 17 games with the Flyers since the trade.

- The Flyers average the third-most shots per game in the league at 33.2.

- The Flyers own the third-ranked penalty kill at 83.6%. Philadelphia’s 15 shorthanded goals lead the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Maybe this is time when your best players show up and be your best players…

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Maybe this is time when your best players show up and be your best players…
Maybe this is time when the coach who’s looking like he may be in over his head stops with the stupid line blender combos.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Maybe this is time when the coach who’s looking like he may be in over his head stops with the stupid line blender combos.
Were the isles winning with all the Talent on one line? Most coaches don’t want all the talent on one line, bc, it exposes the other 2 or 3 lines. Much like blaming the refs, it’s a fools errand.

If the players don’t step up, then you realize you don’t have a ‘core’ team of winners.

Reactions: FourRings

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Were the isles winning with all the Talent on one line? Most coaches don’t want all the talent on one line, bc, it exposes the other 2 or 3 lines. Much like blaming the refs, it’s a fools errand.

If the players don’t step up, then you realize you don’t have a ‘core’ team of winners.
My thoughts exactly. This team hasn't done well under two different coaches now. At some point, it's not the guy behind the bench.

Reactions: periferal

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Let's just get it over with and end the year on a predictable 4-0 loss to Phily.

By the way, Roy's lines for this game....horrible...😝

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

It's the collective group of core not getting it done, crazy thought though: It aint over yet brother. LGI

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This is essentially a game 7 tonight. If they do not win, they will just be playing out the string. If there is any pride left in this core, they will come out with every ounce of effort they have in them tonight.
With that said, Roy's lines are horrendous. Worse than anything we ever saw even from the likes of Lambert, Weight and Capuano. This is not the time of year to be experimenting. If we do not win the next three games, he can have Nelson play goalie and put Barzal and Horvat on defense for all I care. But his messing around with the line combos the last few weeks has really put the team in a bad position.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
This is essentially a game 7 tonight. If they do not win, they will just be playing out the string. If there is any pride left in this core, they will come out with every ounce of effort they have in them tonight.
With that said, Roy's lines are horrendous. Worse than anything we ever saw even from the likes of Lambert, Weight and Capuano. This is not the time of year to be experimenting. If we do not win the next three games, he can have Nelson play goalie and put Barzal and Horvat on defense for all I care. But his messing around with the line combos the last few weeks has really put the team in a bad position.
i think if they come out and sh*t the bed, the next game, Nelson has to play goalie and Barzal & Horvat have to play defense.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
i think if they come out and sh*t the bed, the next game, Nelson has to play goalie and Barzal & Horvat have to play defense.
Can we have Martin-Lee-Bortuzzo as our speed line? It’s only fitting if you want to put Spiccoli in net over a guy like Sebastian Aho.

• Haha
Reactions: Lek

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
On a serious note, if we shit the bed as I expect us to do.
The remaining games, we need to have Bolduc, Salo and Iskhakov in the lineup to see what we may have for next year. Especially Iskhakov since his contract is up and he may want to go back to Russia if he doesn't get a real chance to make the club.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You already know what you have in Buldoc and Salo. If Iskakov was special, then he’d be up by now for a team looking for goals. Him not being up is probably all you need to know.

This is the grasping for straws scenario of the Tavares-era.

Reactions: periferal

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Not grasping at straws, I just want to see what we have. The only one I believe has a chance of being a regular in our lineup going forward is Bolduc

Bolduc and Salo need more NHL experience and these last few games will help. Iskakov, I'm not sold on him. but everyone wants to see him and feel he deserves a look see.

Just curious, how does this hurt bring them up to play the last 7-8 games??

Reactions: Tahoeblue

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
You already know what you have in Buldoc and Salo. If Iskakov was special, then he’d be up by now for a team looking for goals. Him not being up is probably all you need to know.

This is the grasping for straws scenario of the Tavares-era.
I share your lack of enthusiasm regarding Ishakov’s potential to make it in the NHL. Nevertheless, since his value as a B prospect isn’t much, why not take a flyer on him (yeah, I did that)?

Few of us here expected anything out of MaClean and he surprised us. If they lose tonight, even the most diehard fan would have to admit it’s over for this year. At that point what is there to lose?

Reactions: Lek

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Not grasping at straws, I just want to see what we have. The only one I believe has a chance of being a regular in our lineup going forward is Bolduc

Bolduc and Salo need more NHL experience and these last few games will help. Iskakov, I'm not sold on him. but everyone wants to see him and feel he deserves a look see.

Just curious, how does this hurt bring them up to play the last 7-8 games??
Probably because until they are mathematically eliminated, they’ll keep pushing forward with the same squad, win or lose.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I share your lack of enthusiasm regarding Ishakov’s potential to make it in the NHL. Nevertheless, since his value as a B prospect isn’t much, why not take a flyer on him (yeah, I did that)?

Few of us here expected anything out of MaClean and he surprised us. If they lose tonight, even the most diehard fan would have to admit it’s over for this year. At that point what is there to lose?

Tonight is a huge night for determining that. A regulation win means they're three points back with two games in hand on Philadelphia. Detroit also plays tonight so depending on the outcome of that game the Islanders could control their own destiny once again.

I don't see management throwing in the towel quite yet, but a loss tonight and a follow up loss might change that.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

McLean played in a 4th line capacity. He’s executed his role well. That’s all that was expected.

Ishakov is the Wally, Ho-Sang syndrome of ‘if just given a chance…’

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't see management throwing in the towel quite yet, but a loss tonight and a follow up loss might change that.
I don't disagree with you, however I don't see Lou signalling that he has given up on the season until they are mathematically eliminated. And even at that point he would only make "measured" moves. Just how he rolls. :dunno:

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I don't disagree with you, however I don't see Lou signalling that he has given up on the season until they are mathematically eliminated. And even at that point he would only make "measured" moves. Just how he rolls. :dunno:

and again, shows how Lou is just so short sided and stubborn in his ways.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
McLean played in a 4th line capacity. He’s executed his role well. That’s all that was expected.

Ishakov is the Wally, Ho-Sang syndrome of ‘if just given a chance…’
Yeah, he may fall into the same category as those players. I think it would be prudent to see how he does in the NHL first, with pro talent and then make an informed decision.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad