Podcast (Audio) Former NHL Refeere Tim Peel Discusses the Rangers overturned goal

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
It's not refs or the league fixing games. The ref are just incompetent.

Refs focus way too much on calling a "fair" game and managing the flow of the game. You can't call every infraction because the entire game would be special teams, but you need to have a set standard that you use for this game. If you're letting certain things go you have to keep that standard. What we see far too often is refs letting tons of things go and then calling some random minor infraction out of nowhere.

And I get swallowing the whistle in the playoffs, but Pittsburgh only got called for 1 penalty in 5 and a half periods - 0 in the final 5 periods. Matheson commits interference and obstruction every single shift he's out there, Crosby was slashing after the whistle, Guentzel punching Kreider and messing with Miller. Plenty of opportunities for them to get called for another penalty. But then the refs don't wanna call it because it's a tied game and they don't want to control the outcome of the game by calling a penalty but they end up controlling the outcome of the game by not calling the penalty. But Pittsburgh got a 5v3 after we went up 3-2 on a very soft call that Guentzel clearly sold hard, do they get that call if they're winning 3-2? Probably not. This is why game management is so stupid.

Set your standard early in the game and the players will adjust to your standard and then you consistently call the game based on your standard regardless of score. That's all fans want, consistency.

This post is bang on the money.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
This was a horseshit interview with a former ref. Who do you think he would side with? Using hypotheticals and twisting what actually happened on the play. His,... "yeah there was a little contact by Dumoulin on the play, but Kakko's right leg, is the one that causes all the contact."

And of course being bumped a second before entering the crease doing 20 miles an hour had no effect on that at all. All I can say is bullduty.

There is something legitimately wrong in how they review plays. Toronto has every camera angle covered on replays, for use in review. How egregiously they reversed the play on the ice, can only lead to suspicions of corruption.

After all, this did happen in the closing minutes of the game. And could have stood as the winning goal.

The evidence on replay is crystal clear....

I am heartbroken the NHL chose this course of action. How can anyone have faith in officiating going forward. This wasn't a 50-50 call. It was black and white on review, on replay. And with it happening so late in the game, it might have cost us, a huge game 1 win.

This is no joke. They gonna call a penalty every time we stand someone up at the blueline? Are the Pens gonna push puck carriers into their netminder looking for goalie interference calls? The possibilities are endless that officiating will ruin a great series, because these dumb-ass zebras just set the standard.

And you have to wonder why Toronto reversed the call on the ice without any reasonable explanation.

Last edited:
Reactions: gabevh3

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
The decision has been made and it's over. Move on..dont be stuck in 1940 year...

This was a horseshit interview with a former ref. Who do you think he would side with? Using hypotheticals and twisting what actually happened on the play. His,... "yeah there was a little contact by Dumoulin on the play, but Kakko's right leg, is the one that causes all the contact."

And of course being bumped a second before entering the crease doing 20 miles an hour had no effect on that at all. All I can say is bullduty.

There is something legitimately wrong in how they review plays. Toronto has every camera angle covered on replays, for use in review. How egregiously they reversed the play on the ice, can only lead to suspicions of corruption.

After all, this did happen in the closing minutes of the game. And could have stood as the winning goal.

The evidence on replay is crystal clear....

I am heartbroken the NHL chose this course of action. How can anyone have faith in officiating going forward. This wasn't a 50-50 call. It was black and white on review, on replay. And with it happening so late in the game, it might have cost us, a huge game 1 win.

This is no joke. They gonna call a penalty every time we stand someone up at the blueline? Are the Pens gonna push puck carriers into their netminder looking for goalie interference calls? The possibilities are endless that officiating will ruin a great series, because these dumb-ass zebras just set the standard.

And you have to wonder why Toronto reversed the call on the ice without any reasonable explanation.

That's not a good goal....his path towards goalie is too aggressive and the goalie can't maintain his stance to make a save. Typical New York sky is falling. .......tonight a Zamboni driver is the goalie....no more excuses unless Crosby has 3 goals vs russian

Last edited:
Reactions: Taluss

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
The decision has been made and it's over. Move on......
That's not a good goal....his path towards goalie is too aggressive and the goalie can't maintain his stance to make a save.
Wrong. You might have been able to say that had the D-man Dumoulin not touched Kakko. But he did. He bumped him just before Kakko entered the crease. That leaves Kakko off the hook for any responsibility whatsoever. Period. Case closed.

By your example, it's like a guy running for a train full speed, falls and breaks his neck,.... should be blamed for running too fast in a train station, while the guy who stuck his leg out, gets a pass.

And you also don't realize how these events will effect play moving forward. Lindgren is probably still shaking his head wondering what he did wrong. That was as clean a hit as there can be. He didn't charge, he didn't head hunt, he braced and stood his man up at the blueline.

Don't be naive. Players are wondering as well, what the hell just happened.

Putting this behind you is a lost cause. Cause you now wonder if this is how officiating will work going forward. Can we no longer throw monster clean hits that force players out of the game? They were supposed to set the standard in game 1 and failed miserably.

They were looking to give Lindgren a major for a clean hit. Are you kidding me?

Last edited:

Go Rangers

Mar 16, 2022
Franklin Tn
It certainly can be factored in. You just need to look at historical trends.
And the historical trends point to Pittsburgh getting all the calls in their favor. Did anyone watch Pittsburgh beat Nashville in the finals in 2016? Anything controversial went Pittsburgh’s way. Been going on for decades. I expect more tonight.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
And the historical trends point to Pittsburgh getting all the calls in their favor. Did anyone watch Pittsburgh beat Nashville in the finals in 2016? Anything controversial went Pittsburgh’s way. Been going on for decades. I expect more tonight.
Why did pitts outplay nyr in ots with a zamboni driver as a goalie. Many goal posts

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Bottom line is that Kakko made an attempt to stop outside the crease (both skates parallel with top of crease outside the line), there was contact from behind, and the call on the ice was a goal. Has to be 100 percent obvious to reverse, which it wasn’t. Not an easy call to make but doubtful they reverse it if Crosby did the same thing.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Bottom line is that Kakko made an attempt to stop outside the crease (both skates parallel with top of crease outside the line), there was contact from behind, and the call on the ice was a goal. Has to be 100 percent obvious to reverse, which it wasn’t. Not an easy call to make but doubtful they reverse it if Crosby did the same thing.

spot on

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
My wife met the neighbor and fell in love..we got divorced. Had the neighbor not existed I'd still be married. But that didn't happen..so reality is she is with him and I'm single. Just like the goal that was not allowed. Could of..should of. All of that. By the way wife died and there was no neighbor...I was making a point. Of you feel you are getting shafted....then don't follow it anymore....pretty simple. People who used to bet trotters Roosevelt raceway said same things...fixedddddd....then dont go anymore. This is why I hate sports because it's a lingering of complaints. It's why Mike francessa had a job...so u clowns called him to complain. While he fell asleep ....

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
My wife met the neighbor and fell in love..we got divorced. Had the neighbor not existed I'd still be married. But that didn't happen..so reality is she is with him and I'm single. Just like the goal that was not allowed. Could of..should of. All of that. By the way wife died and there was no neighbor...I was making a point. Of you feel you are getting shafted....then don't follow it anymore....pretty simple. People who used to bet trotters Roosevelt raceway said same things...fixedddddd....then dont go anymore. This is why I hate sports because it's a lingering of complaints. It's why Mike francessa had a job...so u clowns called him to complain. While he fell asleep ....

You’re wife ain’t dead, buddy. She’s hiding.

• Haha
Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
Former 20+ year NHL Referee Tim Peel explains the ruling on Chytil's disallowed goal and what the officials and Toronto saw on the play. He also talks about the call on Lindgren and the bad call on Trouba to put the Rangers in a 5-on-3 situation.

So what did he say?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If they fixed the game for Pitt they did a horrible job unless their goal was to wait until many in the audience fell asleep for Pitt to win the game. Was Messier in on the fix? He said our goal should not have counted. I think it should have counted but understand some calls are 50-50 calls that could go either way. Reffing is not easy. Sometimes they make bad mistakes. Actually come to think of it the refs on the ice said it was a good goal so that is a strange way for them to fix the game. It was overruled by off ice officials.
Very good point. Then its the "off ice officials" in Toronto that are against us? Then we are screwed. Think about that, fans cannot BLAME AND BOO the officials.......it wasnt "their call", Toronto covered for them.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad