Former Canucks Thread 2023-24 Edition

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Kind of ironic that Sutter's final game in an NHL uniform as at Rogers Arena.

From all reports a class act; popular in the dressing-room and in the community; but his career cut short by long COVID symptoms.

Not really his fault that Jethro bet the farm in acquiring him from the Pens; and gave him as ridiculous extension. Unfortunately a lot of Canuck fans couldn't get past what he was being paid.

But wish Brandon well in retirement. He' s the kind of guy who should stay in the game and could make a real contribution as a coach or in a front office.
Not sure where you got this from. Seemed like the classic dink

-Calling out the balls of some former prospect as if Sutter was somehow a role model lol
-Turned into McDavid the moment the games were meaningless
-Played butter soft
-Arrogant for a below avg player
-his covid theories
-Didnt stand up for teammates

The fact that hes associated with Benning imo is the perfect match of association. Eriksson, Virtanen and Juolevi too for that matter

Central to Bennings wall of shame

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Kind of ironic that Sutter's final game in an NHL uniform as at Rogers Arena.

From all reports a class act; popular in the dressing-room and in the community; but his career cut short by long COVID symptoms.

Not really his fault that Jethro bet the farm in acquiring him from the Pens; and gave him as ridiculous extension. Unfortunately a lot of Canuck fans couldn't get past what he was being paid.

But wish Brandon well in retirement. He' s the kind of guy who should stay in the game and could make a real contribution as a coach or in a front office.
What does this mean?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I mean I probably wouldn't have cared that much about Sutter if he was being paid 2M AAV to shore up the bottom six, but he was getting 4.3M AAV and constantly sabotaged his own team's offense. Watching that in-person in the lower bowl was even more astounding. Even on controlled entries, he'd skate himself into a corner, get trapped, and throw the puck along the boards hoping one of the wingers was there to pick it up.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
in the end the benning era needs to be immortalized by three gifs

eriksson dying on the bench

oj dying on the ice

and sutter continually failing to execute a routine zone clear like five times in one shift
This is a great list, but when I think of Sutter, I think of him hunched over while coasting to the bench for a line change.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean I probably wouldn't have cared that much about Sutter if he was being paid 2M AAV to shore up the bottom six, but he was getting 4.3M AAV and constantly sabotaged his own team's offense. Watching that in-person in the lower bowl was even more astounding. Even on controlled entries, he'd skate himself into a corner, get trapped, and throw the puck along the boards hoping one of the wingers was there to pick it up.
Sutter was on a $3.3 mill AAV contract he signed with Pitt at the time. Was due to hit UFA when his contract expired after his first season in Van. $2 mill AAV pretty much unlikely.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Sutter was on a $3.3 mill AAV contract he signed with Pitt at the time. Was due to hit UFA when his contract expired after his first season in Van. $2 mill AAV pretty much unlikely.
the 2M AAV number is not meant to project what he would've realistically gotten in a new deal negotiating with a non-benning GM, it's to illustrate the compensation that would've been acceptable to me for what we ended up getting out of his on-ice performance

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
the 2M AAV number is not meant to project what he would've realistically gotten in a new deal negotiating with a non-benning GM, it's to illustrate the compensation that would've been acceptable to me for what we ended up getting out of his on-ice performance
At best the Canucks were looking around what he was at. Really around $3.5 mill probably the best case scenario if you're signing him before he even plays a game. Or they play it out, but that would have been 2016 TDL and look how poorly Jimbo messed that up with hammer. And I think Sutter was injured as well, so would have gotten nothing for him. Which may have been better use of the $4.3 mill cap room. But, then again, it's JB we are talking about getting more cap room to screw up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is a great list, but when I think of Sutter, I think of him hunched over while coasting to the bench for a line change.

Yup.

A ‘hard working defensive player’ who was constantly hunched over gliding to the bench behind the play while the opposition was steaming up the ice on an odd-man rush he should have been defending. That’s my definitive Sutter memory/image, too.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yup.

A ‘hard working defensive player’ who was constantly hunched over gliding to the bench behind the play while the opposition was steaming up the ice on an odd-man rush he should have been defending. That’s my definitive Sutter memory/image, too.

The main board thread makes him out to be this high motor shutdown centre with leadership skills and it's hilarious that he wasn't anything close to that for more than like 20% of his time here (mostly once we were eliminated from the playoffs and the pressure was off).

It's great to know that Benning legitimately thought he could be a 2nd line centre and paid him as such.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The main board thread makes him out to be this high motor shutdown centre with leadership skills and it's hilarious that he wasn't anything close to that for more than like 20% of his time here (mostly once we were eliminated from the playoffs and the pressure was off).

It's great to know that Benning legitimately thought he could be a 2nd line centre and paid him as such.

Sutter and Gudbranson are basically the same thing.

Guys who were top-10 picks based on things other than being good at hockey who then managed to get themselves overpaid for 10+ years based on ‘pedigree’ and carried themselves like superstars when in fact they were both depth NHL players who should have been battling for a roster spot for their whole careers. Neither guy should ever have earned more than $2 million in a season.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Guys who were top-10 picks based on things other than being good at hockey who then managed to get themselves overpaid for 10+ years based on ‘pedigree’ and carried themselves like superstars when in fact they were both depth NHL players who should have been battling for a roster spot for their whole careers. Neither guy should ever have earned more than $2 million in a season.

Ahem....Look at my avatar. These guys are immortalized on the Benning NFT.

Edit: Have to give credit to @Jyrki21 everytime I mention it. This piece belongs in the Benning museum.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Anybody who's spent time watching the canucks over the last decade is an expert in shitty hockey players. We've seen them all, every type. Somehow Brandon Sutter sticks out to me as one of the worst of the bunch. A decent skater in straight lines, but total garbage at every other aspect of the sport, including the off-ice stuff. Absolutely not worthy of the name on the back of his sweater, at all. Good riddance!

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
The most notable Sutter story I have is from the time I took a friend to a Canucks game. I spent the entire warmup just incessantly shit talking Sutter to them, only for them to go “oh I think I used to work at the bank with his wife back in Alberta.” Apparently his wife is nice though.

• Haha
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Sutter at least earned some degree of early benefit of the doubt with his 20g/40p 20yo season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sutter at least earned some degree of early benefit of the doubt with his 20g/40p 20yo season.

But even that was partly because he was inexplicably getting scads of PP time as a 20 y/o despite being a low-IQ bottom-6 forward who had never put up points at any level.

49 WHL points -> 6 NHL points -> TOP UNIT NHL PP GUY.

Nobody has ever ridden their pedigree and last name so hard.

Reactions: Vector

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
But even that was partly because he was inexplicably getting scads of PP time as a 20 y/o despite being a low-IQ bottom-6 forward who had never put up points at any level.

49 WHL points -> 6 NHL points -> TOP UNIT NHL PP GUY.

Nobody has ever ridden their pedigree and last name so hard.

Sure, but he can't really control that, and did still manage to at least make something of those minutes as a young player is all I'm saying. And like, to be fair again his 49 points was like 2x the next guy on his team that year. You kind of wonder if that had a hand in him being mr "gonna get the puck and just skate straight forward with it until I run out of ice or shoot!"

It's at least a bit different than a Gudbranson where the guy just looks the part and people have just kept inexplicably handing him money for like a decade.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Everything was wrong about his time here...
He had the wrong last name.
He was paid twice what he should have been paid.
He couldn't play the role we needed him to.

Last edited:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
lmao geez i just looked up sutter's draft year stats, and while the entire 2007 class can probably be summarized as dogshit, i didn't realize he posted sub-PPG (71-20-37-57) and went 11th overall. although a cursory look at some of the other talent suggests junior scoring for that draft class was pretty abysmal overall.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I remember Sutter had one great year (two-way play), I believe it was 2017-2018 when he played with Dorsett and they were one of the best shut down lines to start the season. Teams were apparently calling Benning with interest for Sutter at the trade deadline, but of course doofus held onto him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sure, but he can't really control that, and did still manage to at least make something of those minutes as a young player is all I'm saying. And like, to be fair again his 49 points was like 2x the next guy on his team that year. You kind of wonder if that had a hand in him being mr "gonna get the puck and just skate straight forward with it until I run out of ice or shoot!"

It's at least a bit different than a Gudbranson where the guy just looks the part and people have just kept inexplicably handing him money for like a decade.

I watched a lot of his WHL career and he was never a guy that remotely profiled a PP guy, but at age 20 was randomly handed big PP minutes. Just like the year Willie inexplicably had him on the top PP unit here all year.

Compare to Lars Eller, a better player taken in that 2007 first round who never got a chance at those PP minutes his whole career.

No, he isn’t as bad as Gudbranson. But it’s the story of his whole career - a guy getting opportunities and $$$ on the back of his pedigree and last name. Coaches and GMs just couldn’t help themselves with him.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
You know what’s crazy? Horvat will earn, assuming he retires at the end of his current contract, about $35 million more than Henrik Sedin did ($106 million to Henrik’s $71 million). I know it is mostly due to player salaries increasing, inflation, and Henrik being a fairly late bloomer and taking big discounts on his biggest contracts, but this still seems ridiculous to me.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Do you remember when Coach Willie tried to make him a Sedin linemate? Y'know, the 'foundational player'?

f*** him. If he didn't have the same last name as a 'famous' hockey family he'd have been sent back to Viking before his career even got started.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I will forever remember him for a hat trick game in late season where the wins don’t f***ing matter and we would’ve benefited from a higher pick.

I don’t miss Sutter one bit.

Reactions: M2Beezy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad