GDT: FIN vs. AUT May 16, 2024

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I mean Germany won against Slovakia. Does that mean Slovakia have a dark future just because of that? No. They have a couple of very good NHLers, good goalies, Radojevic (or how the heck you spell his name) and lots of semi-good prospects coming up.
But Slovakia and Germany on same level!
Germany is a fearful opponent for Slovakia for years. That's why you can't compare Finland's defeat against Austria with that at all.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Germany is a fearful opponent for Slovakia for years. That's why you can't compare Finland's defeat against Austria with that at all.
Our worst loss in WHC history is still 2003 quarterfinal loss against Sweden. I consider 2017 loss 5-1 against France worse than this Austria loss as well, I just feel like this Austrian team has more offensive talent.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Of course I can compare whatever I want to.
But mostly important is that you did not even understand my point. I meant that Slovakia could have a pretty good future if they get enough depth because they have clearly the stepped up their talent production. This tournament hasn't anything to do with the long run for them nor Austria. I mean Slovakia did what after Germany? Beat USA.
I just thought someone wrote that Finnish mens team overall is in a crisis more or less, but I begged to differ because we haven't seen a best-on-best for a while and I have a good feeling Finland would be very competitive in such a tournament. And therefor the rushed conclusion from his side was a bit too dramatic for my taste.

Last but not least. Austria have players like Rossi, very comparable to Granlund. Then we have Määttä. Like I've stated before. This isn't a impressive roster on paper whatsoever. Question is if Jalonen can cream out everything of them and make them play better as a unit than they're known individual ability. Often Finlands strength yes, but nothing certain after witnessing the game against Czechs and this one.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Why would you challenge that? It was obviously the right call
That was absolute bullshit call.
It was normal screen play in powerplay without any contact on Finnish goalie.

Goal should've counted Austria got screwed by the refs in this one.
In NHL that disallowed powerplay goal would've been good hockey goal 9 / 10 times.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Of course I can compare whatever I want to.
But mostly important is that you did not even understand my point. I meant that Slovakia could have a pretty good future if they get enough depth because they have clearly the stepped up their talent production. This tournament hasn't anything to do with the long run for them nor Austria. I mean Slovakia did what after Germany? Beat USA.
I just thought someone wrote that Finnish mens team overall is in a crisis more or less, but I begged to differ because we haven't seen a best-on-best for a while and I have a good feeling Finland would be very competitive in such a tournament. And therefor the rushed conclusion from his side was a bit too dramatic for my taste.

Last but not least. Austria have players like Rossi, very comparable to Granlund. Then we have Määttä. Like I've stated before. This isn't a impressive roster on paper whatsoever. Question is if Jalonen can cream out everything of them and make them play better as a unit than they're known individual ability. Often Finlands strength yes, but nothing certain after witnessing the game against Czechs and this one.
Well, probably not in the crisis. But it is very unlikely that Finland will ever appear with a top team at a World Cup. At a best-on-best tournament I see Canada, USA and Sweden clearly ahead of Finland. Maybe a little Sisu will help. ;) Anyway, things aren't going well in this tournament and Slovakia is playing better hockey than Finland. That's why they beat the USA. Germany could currently also beat Finland.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well, probably not in the crisis. But it is very unlikely that Finland will ever appear with a top team at a World Cup. At a best-on-best tournament I see Canada, USA and Sweden clearly ahead of Finland. Maybe a little Sisu will help. ;) Anyway, things aren't going well in this tournament and Slovakia is playing better hockey than Finland. That's why they beat the USA. Germany could currently also beat Finland.
Have you seen the Slovakian roster? They have a better team on paper than Finland this year. Slovakia is getting even better than it currently is. A lot of prospects coming, Slovakia will be playing for gold sooner or later.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Regarding best-on-best I highly disagree. UPL or 6k is a great goalie. We have two great ones nowadays and we have defenders who can defend with Heiskanen being the star. Flashy D's are welcome and we would need at least one more. But no, I wouldn't want to see 6 Quinn Hughes etc in a elimination game. Who would play PK etc and so on...
Why I believe it could be enough with a good system and sisu is because in the first time in history we could have four good lines with great centers. Three elite ones and Lundell being criminally underrated. Add the fact they are responsible in their own end. That's often more important than people seem to believe or understand during playoffs or elimination games. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I'm also not claiming Finland have a better roster on paper than Sweden, I'm stating that I do think it would be 51/49 in favor for us because of balance, chemistry and system and the depth- or strength in DIFFERENT aspects of the game.
Some people here tend to believe it's a show off all star game we are speaking of and I' ll let them ridicule me and my thoughts. It's only fun.

Regarding this tournament and Finlands weaknesses contra other strengths I' ll fully agree though.
I mean we don't have a player like Nemec. Slafkovsky should still be very competitive player at this level and I actually think Hlavaj is a underrated goalie. And yeah, it's not like we have a Peterka in our team either. So it's not even a upset or controversial to believe that Germany or Slovakia would beat us in this tournament, I'm with you.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What a disgrace.
But good wake up call to those brain-dead morons in Finnish hockey association.
Hopefully we suck and choke rest of the tournament vs Canada, Denmark and Switzerland.

Huge changes on Finnish player development and junior coaching are needed and must.
So the time to blow up whole goddamn Finnish hockey's player production is NOW.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Have you seen the Slovakian roster? They have a better team on paper than Finland this year. Slovakia is getting even better than it currently is. A lot of prospects coming, Slovakia will be playing for gold sooner or later.
Of course they have a better squad. But Jalonen closed the doors early. Then I trust that he has the right plan or not? ;)

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Regarding best-on-best I highly disagree. UPL or 6k is a great goalie. We have two great ones nowadays and we have defenders who can defend with Heiskanen being the star. Flashy D's are welcome and we would need at least one more. But no, I wouldn't want to see 6 Quinn Hughes etc in a elimination game. Who would play PK etc and so on...
Why I believe it could be enough with a good system and sisu is because in the first time in history we could have four good lines with great centers. Three elite ones and Lundell being criminally underrated. Add the fact they are responsible in their own end. That's often more important than people seem to believe or understand during playoffs or elimination games. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I'm also not claiming Finland have a better roster on paper than Sweden, I'm stating that I do think it would be 51/49 in favor for us because of balance, chemistry and system and the depth- or strength in DIFFERENT aspects of the game.
Some people here tend to believe it's a show off all star game we are speaking of and I' ll let them ridicule me and my thoughts. It's only fun.

Regarding this tournament and Finlands weaknesses contra other strengths I' ll fully agree though.
I mean we don't have a player like Nemec. Slafkovsky should still be very competitive player at this level and I actually think Hlavaj is a underrated goalie. And yeah, it's not like we have a Peterka in our team either. So it's not even a upset or controversial to believe that Germany or Slovakia would beat us in this tournament, I'm with you.
Barkov, Gralund, Rantanen, Aho and Heiskanen-Lindell on defence. I couldn't be more excited.

Of course they have a better squad. But Jalonen closed the doors early. Then I trust that he has the right plan or not? ;)
We will be out in the latest in the quarterfinal for sure lol

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Barkov, Gralund, Rantanen, Aho and Heiskanen-Lindell on defence. I couldn't be more excited.

We will be out in the lates tin the quarterfinal for sure lol
Me too. But there is much to play with for the first time in a while. I hope Laine comes back though. I would want him in a third line and in the first PP. I mean Maccelli? He could be really interesting with a center of Hintz calibre. He's able to skate, create with both skill and IQ. Then we could have very good role players in Lundell, which gives Barkov more energy to spend on offense for an example. Lehkonen is a proven playoff player by now god damn, lol.
Some nights Aho is carrying Canes on his back, I mean imagine if he's having such a game with Finlands top6 wingers and added chemistry?
Then you have jokers in players such as Tolvanen for an example. He could miss the lineup but he could also fill a role in a second PP etc because his shot is more than good enough.
Then we have some prospects who could be something serious or nothing special in two years. Those for me are O.Kapanen, Lambert, Räty and Tuomaala. Perhaps Helenius, who knows. If Lambert gets going he for sure is a cerebral player. Tuomaala is the biggest long shot for sure but he has tools. Räty could end up being something decent for bottom 6 in the end. Huuhtanen could be there as a top9 in two years as well. What I do like is that these players are pretty different which gives more opportunities.
Then we still have Heinola and Niemelä and I see bigger potential in them than some of the D's that are before them at this moment. They have the smarts and puck handling. They just need opportunities, confidence and perhaps even added strength and defending ability. My hope is that one of these two becomes that other needed QB that Välimäki doesn't seem to have become.

Yep, we' ll be out in the quarter if not earlier. I don't have any hopes but will gladly follow the journey like always.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Me too. But there is much to play with for the first time in a while. I hope Laine comes back though. I would want him in a third line and in the first PP. I mean Maccelli? He could be really interesting with a center of Hintz calibre. He's able to skate, create with both skill and IQ. Then we could have very good role players in Lundell, which gives Barkov more energy to spend on offense for an example. Lehkonen is a proven playoff player by now god damn, lol.
Some nights Aho is carrying Canes on his back, I mean imagine if he's having such a game with Finlands top6 wingers and added chemistry?
Then you have jokers in players such as Tolvanen for an example. He could miss the lineup but he could also fill a role in a second PP etc because his shot is more than good enough.
Then we have some prospects who could be something serious or nothing special in two years. Those for me are O.Kapanen, Lambert, Räty and Tuomaala. Perhaps Helenius, who knows. If Lambert gets going he for sure is a cerebral player. Tuomaala is the biggest long shot for sure but he has tools. Räty could end up being something decent for bottom 6 in the end.
Then we still have Heinola and Niemelä and I see bigger potential in them than some of the D's that are before them at this moment. They have the smarts and puck handling. They just need opportunities, confidence and perhaps even added strength and defending ability. My hope is that one of these two becomes that other needed QB that Välimäki doesn't seem to have become.

Yep, we' ll be out in the quarter if not earlier. I don't have any hopes but will gladly follow the journey like always.
I forgot we got Hintz as well. Laine hasn't played in a while so forgot to consider him.

The Finnish media gave this WHC team way too much credit. They should've written how bad the team is like it was in 2019. Maybe we wouldn't need to be in this situation then.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I forgot we got Hintz as well. Laine hasn't played in a while so forgot to consider him.

The media gave this WHC team way too much credit. They should've written how bad the team is like it was in 2019. Maybe we wouldn't need to be in this situation then.
Agreed.

I often like and appreciate your diplomatic takes on things.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Agreed.

I often like and appreciate your diplomatic takes on things.
I'm surprised how aside a few Finns we were quite calm about the loss. Says everything about te game when Finnish people think Austria 100% deserved the win.

I appreciate the kind words. I try to be nice, idk how diplomatic it makes me but I know kindness gets you far in life.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Our worst loss in WHC history is still 2003 quarterfinal loss against Sweden. I consider 2017 loss 5-1 against France worse than this Austria loss as well, I just feel like this Austrian team has more offensive talent.

In 2003 it wasn't about the fact that Finland lost that QF but how the team lost that game.

Finland hadn't played well in that tournament and won only against Austria, Slovenia and Ukraine.
Then a draw against Germany and losses against Czechs and Slovaks. It was easy to say that Sweden was the favourite going into the game.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
In 2003 it wasn't about the fact that Finland lost that QF but how the team lost that game.

Finland hadn't played well in that tournament and won only against Austria, Slovenia and Ukraine.
Then a draw against Germany and losses against Czechs and Slovaks. It was easy to say that Sweden was the favourite going into the game.
Yes, that is what I meant. Losing the game from a 5-1 lead.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019

We will be out in the latest in the quarterfinal for sure lol
Well the next opponents are Canada, Denmark and Switzerland. I think 3 points are not enough. And even if? 4th in the QF against this Swedish team? Oh my God!

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019

Clearly Finland has the best generation ever. I'm also happy when I can see them play together. But I don't know if you can always rely on trainers, sisu, etc.?

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well the next opponents are Canada, Denmark and Switzerland. I think 3 points are not enough. And even if? 4th in the QF against this Swedish team? Oh my God!
That is why I was thinking it will be hard to get past the quarterfinal if we even make it there.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Hugely unpopular opinion in Finland, but i cant wrap my head around why dont you just forecheck like crazy and play fast hockey when you undoubtedly have the better players on the ice? I mean this boring ass standing behind your own net for 5minutes per period has been a succesful strategy against superior teams, but guys are playing against Austria (no offense).

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Hugely unpopular opinion in Finland, but i cant wrap my head around why dont you just forecheck like crazy and play fast hockey when you undoubtedly have the better players on the ice? I mean this boring ass standing behind your own net for 5minutes per period has been a succesful strategy against superior teams, but guys are playing against Austria (no offense).
Thats Jalonen's hockey I guess. No matter who you face, you play similar game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad