Player Discussion Filip Hronek - Pt. 2

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He’s playing 25 minutes/game, has 3 ES points in 4 games, and we’re outscoring the opposition 7-1 with him on the ice.

He’s been terrific, one of the team’s best players so far.
Are you serious...

Carried by Hughes.
Has not been good defensively.

Yes. His counting stats are very good.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching that Flames-Wings game last night, you can get an inkling of why Yzerman figured Hronek was dispensable.

He loves his big, mobile d-men. That Wings blueline are big, they all have good mobility and they throttled the Flames, particularly down low in the defensive zone.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Are you serious...

Carried by Hughes.
Has not been good defensively.

Yes. His counting stats are very good.
Yeah, I think he's been "ok", but he really should be carrying a second pairing right now...we're likely going to be committing a lot of money and term to Hronek very soon and I'd like to see him in a position where I feel good about coughing up a big contract...playing beside Hughes is a sure way to artificially inflate a contract.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think we have to be careful of not overpaying for a better RHD version of a Nate Schmidt level Dman. Hronek so far looks more like a guy who can log minutes than a guy who is an impact Dman. I don't think he has been as good as some here think he has been. I'm in the "he's been ok" camp.

• Wow
Reactions: HockeyWooot

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Interesting how some posters argue that we should not extract too much from small sample sizes but are actively looking for players to pick apart based on a small sample size.
Jury is still very much out on Hronek.

Dont think anyone thinks otherwise.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
You dont see people wondering how Hronek will look away from QH?

You my friend need what they call in europe eye glasses.
I was making a reference joke to the great 1957 film “12 angry men” which is about a jury

I wouldn’t mind some fancy European glasses though, bring me a pair when you visit

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
So Hronek is like the ultimate paradox of a player.

He is crap but he is going to earn 7+.
He sucks but the Hughes - Hronek paring is performing like the top paring in the league.
Last season's success is small sample so let's focus on the 5 games this season to see who he is truly.

Basically the conclusion they want is he sucks and some folks just need some way to figure out the narrative. I don't know why they can't just wait like 20 games.

The thing is, is he impressive right now? Not really.
Does he have chemistry with Hughes? Doesn't look like it yet.
Can you be truly impressive playing along side Hughes who will/should have the puck? No idea, we've only seen lower skill guys try to keep up with Hughes, don't know what its like to see a guy with skills pair with him so maybe things will change as they develop chemistry.
Is that paring nailing it? Yeah.
Is his strength maximized by playing him with Hughes? Don't think so.
Is Hronek playing like a 1st paring guy right now? 25 min a night, 3 pts in 5, I guess?

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Some folks are gonna hate because it’s not what they would have done. Regardless of how a guy plays or fits into the team dynamics, they know better from their pulpit running an imaginary hockey team. :laugh:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Hronek's been good, but I feel similarly about Cole and Soucy, and sometimes I second guess my perspective on all three defensemen because of how low the bar to clear is. Years of watching Myers, OEL, Gudbranson, etc. may require an equal amount of years of re-calibration.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023

He sucks but the Hughes - Hronek paring is performing like the top paring in the league.
Last season's success is small sample so let's focus on the 5 games this season to see who he is truly.

Basically the conclusion they want is he sucks and some folks just need some way to figure out the narrative. I don't know why they can't just wait like 20 games.

Can you be truly impressive playing along side Hughes who will/should have the puck? No idea, we've only seen lower skill guys try to keep up with Hughes, don't know what its like to see a guy with skills pair with him so maybe things will change as they develop chemistry.
Is Hronek playing like a 1st paring guy right now? 25 min a night, 3 pts in 5, I guess?
Don’t forget that he shouldn’t be playing with Hughes anyway because he will play too well and have to be paid more.

• Haha
Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Don’t forget that he shouldn’t be playing with Hughes anyway because he will play too well and have to be paid more.
Any analysis works as long as the conclusion is Hronek sucks. Let the conclusion drive the facts you seek.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Watching that Flames-Wings game last night, you can get an inkling of why Yzerman figured Hronek was dispensable.

He loves his big, mobile d-men. That Wings blueline are big, they all have good mobility and they throttled the Flames, particularly down low in the defensive zone.
Did Ghostbear grow a foot?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

How the f*** can you be consistently so confused about what people are saying?

It has to be a debate tactic at this point.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Despite being off to a 5-1 start, the fact is the Red Wings are still in a rebuild and re-tool mode.

Despite this, Yzerman came to the decision that a first round pick (19th overall) and a second round pick (40th overall) in 2023 was worth more to them than a relatively young offensive d-man like Hronek, whom they drafted and developed. Why?

Obviously it's great to have a couple of extra prospects in the pipeline. But the guys they drafted probably won't be in a position to help them for 2-3 years.

Although he was hurt at the time the Canucks acquired him, it' seem apparent now there was something about Hronek's game they felt they could live without.

I suppose it'll come down to which GM was right about this guy--Yzerman or Allvin.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Despite being off to a 5-1 start, the fact is the Red Wings are still in a rebuild and re-tool mode.

Despite this, Yzerman came to the decision that a first round pick (19th overall) and a second round pick (40th overall) in 2023 was worth more to them than a relatively young offensive d-man like Hronek, whom they drafted and developed. Why?

Obviously it's great to have a couple of extra prospects in the pipeline. But the guys they drafted probably won't be in a position to help them for 2-3 years.

Although he was hurt at the time the Canucks acquired him, it' seem apparent now there was something about Hronek's game they felt they could live without.

I suppose it'll come down to which GM was right about this guy--Yzerman or Allvin.
Its because he is getting too expensive for Detroit's contention time line, that is being pushed back because they lack a true no.1 Center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad