F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024 Draft)

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Ottawa? Anaheim could end up having one of the scariest forwards group in the NHL with Celebrini, Cutter , Zegras , Terry, Leo Carlsson and McTavish .
How on earth would they afford all of these guys once they're off their ELCs? (Terry and Zegras already are). They'll need to pay their defensemen and goalies too. Just not possible.

Really hope Celebrini goes to the Sharks, he can be "The Guy" there. He's more than capable of it. He'll probably be a Hawk but whatever, we can be delusional for a few more weeks.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
How good this guy supposed tobe? Franchise player or good 1c? Love to see him on sj.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
very good but he will need to mature physically, add mass and strength. If I were a GM I would strongly consider having him spend another year at BU.
Celebrini and his dad (Director of Sports Medicine & Performance for the Golden State Warriors) both implied in an Athletic article recently that they think he should spend another year at BU as well. I would actually be surprised if he doesn't go back. He's not tiny but I think to play his game effectively at the NHL level, adding mass and strength can only help him. He's had shoulder surgery once already too.

As for player comps you'll most often see scouts compare him to Crosby (-lite) and Toews. I've seen Tavares and Jack Hughes comps a few times too.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
As for player comps you'll most often see scouts compare him to Crosby (-lite) and Toews. I've seen Tavares and Jack Hughes comps a few times too.
If we're going for heady comps, I think Tavares or MacKinnon Lite work best for me. He plays a pretty heavy, explosive game. Not smooth like Crosby and not as flashy as Hughes. Toews is a solid comp too but Macklin strikes me as a bit more explosive/ dense but shorter than Toews, less range but more pop.

Any of these outcomes would be exceptional for the kid though.

Reactions: ameselare

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
If we're going for heady comps, I think Tavares or MacKinnon Lite work best for me. He plays a pretty heavy, explosive game. Not smooth like Crosby and not as flashy as Hughes. Toews is a solid comp too but Macklin strikes me as a bit more explosive/ dense but shorter than Toews, less range but more pop.

Any of these outcomes would be exceptional for the kid though.

For me it's impossible to look at him on the ice and not see MacKinnon lite.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
I would be shocked honestly. He's going stright to the NHL IMO.
It does seem bizarre I agree, but both him and his dad (Director of Sports Medicine and Performance for the Golden State Warriors) have come out recently and said they wouldn't mind him returning to BU, so I really don't know at this point. It's in an Athletic article but Rick said:

"Me and (Warriors coach) Steve Kerr talk about this all the time. There's a value to being patient and developing at a level that's more conducive to development. The NHL and NBA aren't developmental leagues. You're either ready or you're not. But college hockey is more conducive to that with the schedule, the work in the weight room and practice schedule. An Arizona scout called me and goes, 'For what you do for a living, where would you say he is on his developmental curve?' Honestly, he's a puppy. He shaves once every couple weeks. He's not even through puberty. He really is a kid, kid. He's got a little bit of maturing and growing to do, just getting that thickness of a man's body."

Playing in the NHL as an 18 year old is tough. Bedard is Bedard and he had no other choice either way, coming from the CHL. Then there's Benson, who's an outlier. Fantilli could have stayed at Michigan for another year if he wanted to, but he's 20 months older than Celebrini.

When we look back at players like Jack Hughes, it might have been beneficial for him to play college hockey for a year instead of going straight to the NHL. It'll be interesting to see what Celebrini decides to do. He did have shoulder surgery last summer, so I wonder if that will play into their decision as well, in terms of wanting to take more time to physically develop and get stronger.

EDIT: I also wonder if he goes to the NHL right away, if whichever team wins the lottery on Tuesday goes the Leo Carlsson load-management route for him. Something to consider.

Last edited:

19Simon19

Jul 31, 2022
It does seem bizarre I agree, but both him and his dad (Director of Sports Medicine and Performance for the Golden State Warriors) have come out recently and said they wouldn't mind him returning to BU, so I really don't know at this point. It's in an Athletic article but Rick said:

"Me and (Warriors coach) Steve Kerr talk about this all the time. There's a value to being patient and developing at a level that's more conducive to development. The NHL and NBA aren't developmental leagues. You're either ready or you're not. But college hockey is more conducive to that with the schedule, the work in the weight room and practice schedule. An Arizona scout called me and goes, 'For what you do for a living, where would you say he is on his developmental curve?' Honestly, he's a puppy. He shaves once every couple weeks. He's not even through puberty. He really is a kid, kid. He's got a little bit of maturing and growing to do, just getting that thickness of a man's body."

Playing in the NHL as an 18 year old is tough. Bedard is Bedard and he had no other choice either way, coming from the CHL. Then there's Benson, who's an outlier. Fantilli could have stayed at Michigan for another year if he wanted to, but he's 20 months older than Celebrini.

When we look back at players like Jack Hughes, it might have been beneficial for him to play college hockey for a year instead of going straight to the NHL. It'll be interesting to see what Celebrini decides to do. He did have shoulder surgery last summer, so I wonder if that will play into their decision as well, in terms of wanting to take more time to physically develop and get stronger.

EDIT: I also wonder if he goes to the NHL right away, if whichever team wins the lottery on Tuesday goes the Leo Carlsson load-management route for him. Something to consider.
Interessting ! Thanks for sharing.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
I could see him going back to college for his D+1 if SJS draft him, but I don't think any other team would have him go back. He's NHL ready in terms of skill. Certainly he has lots of physical growth before he's a grown man, but that can happen in the NHL. There's more time for strength and conditioning in college, but there's also value in experiencing the rigors of the NHL at a young age, as well as adjusting to the pace, structure, and skill of the NHL.

I know his Dad said he's still a puppy, and to an extent he's right, but he's 90% of the way to his physical prime already. He can put on that last 15-20 lbs of muscle over the next few years in the NHL.

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
Is he really 190lbs at 17? I know his dad is a renowned trainer, but still 190lbs for someone only just about to turn 18 is pretty stocky and impressive considering he's 6 foot. I think he's NHL ready, especially by October. Obviously NCAA is probably better for physical growth considering the amount of rest and recovery you get in-between games, but like as others mentioned maybe they go the load management route.

I think the question is for NHL teams if they think he would develop more important skills in the NHL considering how high of a level he plays in the NCAA and how far ahead of his peers he is.

Personally if I were a GM, with my current limited info, I'd probably try him in the NHL as I don't know what another year at BU really does for him aside from greater recovery. I think he could have a good rookie season especially for a fresh 18 year old and if he is 190lbs I don't think he'll get beaten off the puck more than most rookies do, also he does a good job of absorbing contact in the NCAA and it is a part of his game to open up avenues for his teammates.

I guess if he goes to SJ I can see why you don't want him to play on such a terrible roster, but honestly I think his hockey IQ is great enough that he can learn and adapt to having more coverage put on him by NHL teams, I don't think it's necessarily worse for him to face this adversity as an 18 year old as it definitely can be for other rookies not as talented. It may even help him going forward.

I know Hughes struggled in his rookie year but as of right now J.Hughes weighs 175lbs, and I don't think him and Celebrini are similar physically as rookies aside from Celebrini being ~1 inch taller.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Whatever the case, I have no doubt Celebrini’s next season will be carefully curated by all vested parties. This kid was built in a lab for athletic success at every step. You can just tell each juncture along the way has been measured to give him the best hockey development possible. It’s never been about the “typical” path.

Personally I’d be surprised if he is back in college next season…he’s always been the youngest at every level and it’s never held him back from excelling…but there are certainly reason why it wouldn’t be crazy.

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023

Damn, Fantilli and Celebrini gone, I really wanted to see how Macklin could play with/against real NHLers... would be a insightful viewing for where he is at physically/stylistically against that level of talent. Also seeing him play with Bedard/Fantilli even if it's not on the same line would be awesome to see. Could be a glimpse into a future Canadian Olympic roster if all three live up to their hype or come somewhat close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad