F James Hagens - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2025 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Watching this US-Finland preliminary U17 game.

Hagens' IQ/anticipation of the play really jumps out. In the first period he's cleanly picked off multiple passes by baiting an offensive player and then jumping the passing lane.
He’s a favourite to be a top pick in 2025 for a reason.

Nice pass to Eiserman on the second goal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Based entirely off watching the game today and no more, I think he's the best prospect on the 17's, and it might be by a lot.

I think he's been compared to Jack Hughes before. I don't think thats a bad comparison. I would say though that he's more of a combination of Hughes and Zegras. He's about Hughes level in overall impact he has on a game, but he's more Zegras style of hockey player. The full ice vision and his ability to make such difficult passes is like Zegras. Skates at a Zegras level, better shooter than a Hughes, so similar to a Zegras. He's probably also closer to Zegras physically/defensively. Needs time, but he'll probably get there. He's already as tall as Hughes or maybe taller. If you wanted, you could say he's a better Zegras, but I don't see the very creative plays Zegras makes, so minus that part of Zegras game.

He needs to get stronger. Muscled off the puck too often. Thats my main, maybe only, concern about Hagens. Would be nice if he could grow another few inches. His brother is 6'0. If Hagens is 6'0 by the draft, we're talking about a player closer to Eichel/Matthews level player than guys below that as prospects.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
just finished watching game 2 and Eiserman had 4 goals, yes but Hagens was the best player on the ice and it wasn’t close.

He was everywhere, anticpating passes, creating turnovers, creating space for Eiserman to score. He was the one who generated most everyone of Eisermans goals. He also could have had a few himself. He was dynamic.

Last edited:

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Definitely think Hagen is the best prospect on the U17's. He's noticeable almost every shift, has a ton of skill and clearly has the mentality to be a difference maker every chance he gets. Eiserman is exciting but from what I've seen cheats quite a bit for offense.
Hagens is a play driver and a play maker who can also finish. Eiserman can create off the rush for himself, or by wreaking havoc on a defence, but he's a finisher by and large. His passing is not poor, but it's not as strong as the other parts of his offensive game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Based entirely off watching the game today and no more, I think he's the best prospect on the 17's, and it might be by a lot.
After watching another game, it's by a lot.

I think he's the best American prospect since Eichel/Matthews. I think he's in their category. Some suggested Hughes might be in their category. I thought he was a little below that.

Hagens plays like he's on another wavelength from everyone else on the ice. A step ahead with his hockey sense, his skill, his passing.

He's going to get himself promoted pretty soon here to the 18's. I think he'll be the best player on that team.

And this is a topic for another time, but I cannot see how he's going to be playing junior in his draft year. NCAA or Europe, and then probably NHL right after being drafted.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If the Hagens’ follow the recent trend of siblings - with the younger, better Fantilli committing after his brother to Michigan and the younger, better Celebrini committing after his brother to BU - then you have to think his post-NTDP, pre-draft year might be to follow his older brother Michael to Harvard. Then again, accelerating your studies to be a student-athletes at Harvard sounds somewhat daunting to me…

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If the Hagens’ follow the recent trend of siblings - with the younger, better Fantilli committing after his brother to Michigan and the younger, better Celebrini committing after his brother to BU - then you have to think his post-NTDP, pre-draft year might be to follow his older brother Michael to Harvard. Then again, accelerating your studies to be a student-athletes at Harvard sounds somewhat daunting to me…

Has it ever happened before in hockey or another sport?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Has it ever happened before in hockey or another sport?
I can't find an instance in the last 10 years (hockey)...it is just pure conjecture on my part that Harvard would be the choice. He'd of course have his pick of programs if he wanted to accelerate...although it would also be fun to see him do a gap year in Europe like AM did, if his development continues to take off.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
3 assists so far tonight against Sweden. He controls time and space as well as Kane and Zegras did at the NTDP. He has a good frame and the elite skills to challenge for 1st overall in 2025, which is a long way away. He's also pretty well-rounded for a 16-year-old offensive dynamo as he gets PK time, too. The biggest focus for him right now would be improving his shot.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
3 assists so far tonight against Sweden. He controls time and space as well as Kane and Zegras did at the NTDP. He has a good frame and the elite skills to challenge for 1st overall in 2025, which is a long way away. He's also pretty well-rounded for a 16-year-old offensive dynamo as he gets PK time, too. The biggest focus for him right now would be improving his shot.

I think his shot will continue to get better, it already has from last year. He’s still growing and not as physically developed as some of these other guys. He’s grown a ton in the past year and half, the strength will need to catch up

I thought it’d take him a couple of months to adjust to the level coming from U15, but he’s way ahead of where I thought he’d be right now, it’s great to see. Someone made a comparison of a Hughes/Zegras hybrid and that’s a pretty good shout. Hopefully he keeps developing and continues on that path

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Improving his shot would make him even deadlier. @GermanSpitfire already posted it in the thread, but that shot he made off a spin and curl to beat a Chicago Steel goalie high on the short side was a thing of beauty.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’d be pretty surprised if Hagens didn’t end up out east. My gut says it’ll be Harvard, BU or BC. Eiserman wasn’t all that surprising to end up at Minnesota, Hagens would be in my opinion
If BU got Hagens, they'd have Hagens, Celebrini, Bednarik, Hutson, and Keefe from the same class already. That'd be an incredible class.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
98FF957B-446F-40AB-A875-0ABD265532C5.jpeg

Also for all you midwesterners/ canadians. Giving me bagel/ begel ptsd. Lol

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The worst game I've seen from him and he still ended up with 2g, 1a. He was sloppy with the puck tonight but it's nice to see how trusted he is defensively already despite his status as an elite offensive guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
The worst game I've seen from him and he still ended up with 2g, 2a. He was sloppy with the puck tonight but it's nice to see how trusted he is defensively already despite his status as an elite offensive guy.
Yeah, pretty amazing game for an off night, eh? They also changed the scoring on Eiserman's first goal. Hagens, who originally got an assist on that, did win the faceoff to start the play, but it was McMorrow who fed the puck off a scrambled draw back to Hutson, who passed it to you-know-who.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad