F Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2024 draft)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
When you look at Demidov vs Michkov, to me I would take Demidov over Mickhov in the hopes that if Demidov physically matures to fill out his lanky frame and vastly improve his lower body strength, he's going to be a force. I would expect Demidov to have better skating, speed, size then Michkov.

People can be lazy and just think it's because I'm a Habs fan. I did not want Reinbacher or Michkov or Slaf or Wright, and at the end of the day I could care less who they pick if it ends up helping the Habs win. Now if you look at the Habs drafting since 2008 then you can see why we are in the situation we are in as we hired the wrong coaches for many many years, bad GMs', terrible development and drafting. Now we have to hope the new group is better then the last and only time will tell. If Michkov ends up being the better pick then so be it as it's not like the Habs haven't made a ton of mistakes at the draft before.

Both are fun players to watch but I just like Demidov's game more in terms of the NHL.
Screen name checks out

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Demidov is the classic flashy skating, skill-filled junior player. Michkov is a different breed in terms of hockey IQ and the ways he gets his points. Michkov could go #1 in a different draft year, could same be said about Demidov? I'm not sure I could see that.

I would say, so does yours.
Stop, I'm blushing.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Demidov is the classic flashy skating, skill-filled junior player. Michkov is a different breed in terms of hockey IQ and the ways he gets his points. Michkov could go #1 in a different draft year, could same be said about Demidov? I'm not sure I could see that.

Stop, I'm blushing.
I sort of agree with you though. I think Michkov is more unique but Demidov is more toolsy and skilled.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

Stop, I'm blushing.
People have been comparing the two players for years. Demidov was in the KHL this preseason, but as many have speculated, is being punished for refusing to sign a 3 year contract. He's certainly not in the MHL because it's the only place he could play. Michkov was getting punished for seemingly other reasons too at SKA, and/or nobody knows how or why Rotenberg works the way he does.

I personally think Michkov is the better prospect but many people who know more and spend more time thinking about this than I do, and get paid to do it, are actively comparing the two and don't think it's crazy to do so. I posted two such articles a page or two ago -- buried by people saying things like "lol habs fan" instead of using their brains. There's a rabid extremist Michkov Truther group on these boards who will accept nothing less than unblemished praise for him and it's kind of ridiculous that it bleeds out so much into other threads.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Michkov and Demidov are friends, and Michkov honestly said ones it's Demidov and not Celebrini should go 1st OA at the draft...

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
He’s more exciting. He’s likely the most exciting player in the draft. But teams shouldn’t draft on excitement. He had an argument to be better than Celebrini, but that’s more debatable than whether he’s more exciting.
Higher ceiling lower floor

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I'm not seeing a higher ceiling whatsoever. Celebrini will be more valuable throughout their career. Demidov could outscore him at some point, but that will not change the fact.
I see him having a kane/kucherov ceiling

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not seeing a higher ceiling whatsoever. Celebrini will be more valuable throughout their career. Demidov could outscore him at some point, but that will not change the fact.

Off puck they both look outstanding to me, I think they'll both be total package two-way star players. It's actually Demidov's scoring upside that I'm less sure about. He's only done it in the MHL. Celebrini is the safe bet.

Two players famously indifferent to the two-way game. I think that miscasts Demidov.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Is there a remote chance Demidov falls to 5-6-7? Or is it a pipe dream at this stage?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Off puck they both look outstanding to me, I think they'll both be total package two-way star players. It's actually Demidov's scoring upside that I'm less sure about. He's only done it in the MHL. Celebrini is the safe bet.

Two players famously indifferent to the two-way game. I think that miscasts Demidov.

I've seen a lot of Demidov's games, a few dozens probably. What I haven't seen is his 2-way game. I don't care about it actually because I'm all for the motto: offense is the best defense. If it's what you mean then yeah, he's a great 2-way player.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Kane and Kucherov are similar players mostly in the few flaws they share.

I don't see that, you're more so describing Michkov. Unless you think Demidov's two-way involvement somehow shrinks from making the NHL. Now, what I mean is: yes, Demidov will be great. But Celebrini, by all accounts thus far looks like he will be better and more valuable as an NHL prospect, including position, even his nationality, language etc, like it or not. Celebrini has already proven in both NCAA and national junior stage he can elevate his play.

Biggest knock on Demidov obviously is: he needed better competition this year after already performing in MHL last year, why didn't he have any?
Is there a remote chance Demidov falls to 5-6-7? Or is it a pipe dream at this stage?
No, there isn't. Yes, it is.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

It depends on what team picks when. If Chicago picks 2-3-4, then I'm pretty sure Demidov won't go past it. They need a winger for Bedard, they have nobody to play with their superstar, and you won't find a linemate for Bedard better than Demidov at the draft.

If Chicago picks 1 OA or after the Habs, then I think there is a chance for Montreal to get him because the teams like San Jose, Anaheim, Columbus have a lot of good young wingers and don't have enough good young defensemen.

Last edited:

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Kane and Kucherov are similar players mostly in the few flaws they share.

I don't see that, you're more so describing Michkov. Unless you think Demidov's two-way involvement somehow shrinks from making the NHL. Now, what I mean is: yes, Demidov will be great. But Celebrini, by all accounts thus far looks like he will be better and more valuable as an NHL prospect, including position, even his nationality, language etc, like it or not. Celebrini has already proven in both NCAA and national junior stage he can elevate his play.

Biggest knock on Demidov obviously is: he needed better competition this year after already performing in MHL last year, why didn't he have any?

No, there isn't. Yes, it is.
I should say as overall impact draft day he reminds me of makar evident elite skillset

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

I think there is. Celibrini is a lock at 1, but a top pair D is the most coveted commodity after a 1C (see Nemec 2OA 2022, Reinbacher 5OA Simashev 6OA last year, going back before in 2019, Byram 4OA, Seider 6OA, Broberg 8OA, Soderstrom 11OA York 14OA…). I think this draft is good D draft and some teams will seize the opportunity. Dickinson Parekh Yakemchuk Levshunov Buium could all go anywhere from 2 to 12. assuming 3 of them go from 2-4. then you only need one team preferring a big center like Lindstrom to Demidov and he is already available at 6OA.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I think there is. Celibrini is a lock at 1, but a top pair D is the most coveted commodity after a 1C (see Nemec 2OA 2022, Reinbacher 5OA Simashev 6OA last year, going back before in 2019, Byram 4OA, Seider 6OA, Broberg 8OA, Soderstrom 11OA York 14OA…). I think this draft is good D draft and some teams will seize the opportunity. Dickinson Parekh Yakemchuk Levshunov Buium could all go anywhere from 2 to 12. assuming 3 of them go from 2-4. then you only need one team preferring a big center like Lindstrom to Demidov and he is already available at 6OA.
In all honesty it's a very good top 12 for a draft

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Wingers who look better than Kucherov at the same age can still be picked pretty high...

Reactions: HawksDub89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad