Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Yea I agree. I don't get why people get defensive when Rosen, Krebs, ostlund etc. are in trade proposals. With how young the current roster already is, not all of these guys are long term Sabres. Guys that are to going to be good players can still be traded. It's okay. One or likely multiple will have to be moved as they near nhl readiness and the log jam gets worse.
Those are the 3 I am willing to trade. Rosen is luxury at this point. If Mitts sticks at center both Krebs and Ostlund are expendable. Savoie and Kulich are both potential centers as well.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yea I agree. I don't get why people get defensive when Rosen, Krebs, ostlund etc. are in trade proposals. With how young the current roster already is, not all of these guys are long term Sabres. Guys that are to going to be good players can still be traded. It's okay. One or likely multiple will have to be moved as they near nhl readiness and the log jam gets worse.

Current top 9 by age:
31-25-27
21-22-21
24-22-26(Greenway)

Guys waiting to fill spots in top 9:
Kulich
Savoie
Rosen
Ostlund
Kisakov
Polpatov
Neuchev
Kozak(?)
#13 this year(likely)
I fine trading some of thrm but I want fair value.

in many proposals people would use them as throw ins just to get what they think is some missing piece just to get into playoffs.

fact is what is the long term roster?
Skinner (4 yrs)
Tuch (3)— prob resigned
Mitts (2)
Greenway (2)

Krebs could get traded

then you have tage, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka

i see 3 or 4 of the top 9 possibly change by 2027 season.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
If Rosén scores at close to the same pace as Kulich, but is better in all three zones, then why are we only talking about trading Rosén?
Unfortunately that's a bit of a strawman, as this year Kulich (0.39 G/GP, 0.74 P/GP) far outpaced Rosen (0.21 G/GP, 0.56 P/GP) at the same level while 13 months younger. Almost double the goal rate. Also, Kulich is one of the most prolific scorers in recent WJC history, while Rosen was good but not elite. Add in that Kulich boasts a better physical projection.

I'm not sure I've seen any prospect ranking has Rosen (generally top 75) ahead of Kulich (top 25). Rosen is a really nice prospect but when discussing who may be surplus to Buffalo's needs, it strikes me as reasonable to discuss him ahead of Kulich.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
I get throwing out prospects in trade proposals even if I personally think it's a bit premature. I'd prefer to see what we have first. But what is irritating is that it's always the same names: Rosen and Ostlund. Can someone explain why Savoie is exempt? I can at least understand Kulich's exemption given his season in the AHL, although to be fair, he's proven exactly the same amount in the NHL as the other three. But never Savoie? Seems weird.

Reactions: Bendium

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I get throwing out prospects in trade proposals even if I personally think it's a bit premature. I'd prefer to see what we have first. But what is irritating is that it's always the same names: Rosen and Ostlund. Can someone explain why Savoie is exempt? I can at least understand Kulich's exemption given his season in the AHL, although to be fair, he's proven exactly the same amount in the NHL as the other three. But never Savoie? Seems weird.
Kulich and Savoie are the highest trenders at the moment so folks want to see how high they can reach. Granted, Savoie is a little smaller but has a pretty well rounded game at least at the junior level.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
If Rosén scores at close to the same pace as Kulich, but is better in all three zones, then why are we only talking about trading Rosén?
Because no one had heard about Rosén when he was drafted and there were likely "better alternatives" still available - kind of like having taken Quinn over Rossi. Then, to top it off, he had an unfortunately tough D+1 year based on minimal playing time in the SHL, and then a season ending injury. Since we don't really know him - he's obviously fodder for the trade our number ones crowd. Same deal with Ostlund who we know about as much as Rosén. Once you get put on the poop list, it's hard to get off. See Casey Mittelstadt.

I find Rosén particularly interesting - and trade suggestions about him particularly annoying - as he really has so much going for him. The reports of him going into tough spots on the ice, about his hockey IQ, his speed, his shot and his overall game have been out there and I was happy to see them on display during the playoffs. Seth Appert said during the season that right now, Rosén is a more complete player than Kulich. I just think it's dumb to want to trade him right now because he's starting to play like the kind of winger we'd really to have - a little edge, confident. fast, and smart.

Everyone knows that we will need to move players at some point - but right now is not the time, IMO, for these recent number ones. The value of their ELCs that have slid will become apparent over the next couple of years when the Sabres start approaching the cap ceiling.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Because people didn't like that he was drafted with that pick.

That still factors into things. Hell, there are people who still pine for Colin White after the Lehner deal.

Unfortunately that's a bit of a strawman, as this year Kulich (0.39 G/GP, 0.74 P/GP) far outpaced Rosen (0.21 G/GP, 0.56 P/GP) at the same level while 13 months younger. Almost double the goal rate. Also, Kulich is one of the most prolific scorers in recent WJC history, while Rosen was good but not elite. Add in that Kulich boasts a better physical projection.

I'm not sure I've seen any prospect ranking has Rosen (generally top 75) ahead of Kulich (top 25). Rosen is a really nice prospect but when discussing who may be surplus to Buffalo's needs, it strikes me as reasonable to discuss him ahead of Kulich.

Kulich's offensive game certainly popped more than Rosen. I would say that Rosen is a better player in his own zone right now by a large enough margin that it's something to consider. Neither are guys I see pushing into the NHL lineup to start the year right now, they're both still in need of further finishing. I'm hopeful that both are able to hit the gym hard all summer which is why if they aren't on the ice for Dev Camp, I wouldn't be sad. It feels like they need more time moving weight plates than trying not to get a groin pull in July.

Some may be out of sight, out of mind and it probably doesn't stop until/when someone in their prospect group is traded or they make a significant jump in their overall play.

As for the collection of Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Rosen, Quinn and Peterka, there is going to be debate on who is where and what role as well as who is likely moveable (either hurts least or garners most value). And yes, I'd consider putting Poltapov in that group though by role, it's possible he fits more in a high-energy, checking role (which can be said of Ostlund already and possibly Peterka and even Kulich).

What we can look at right now is that while Rosen's season was good, he's not ready and he's not going to command the attention like others do right now. And ultimately, it might be that Savoie is the one who is moved because of positional flexibility and possibility of being a game breaking offensive contributor may be their most valuable asset to make a considerable splash for the big club.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
That still factors into things. Hell, there are people who still pine for Colin White after the Lehner deal.

Kulich's offensive game certainly popped more than Rosen. I would say that Rosen is a better player in his own zone right now by a large enough margin that it's something to consider. Neither are guys I see pushing into the NHL lineup to start the year right now, they're both still in need of further finishing. I'm hopeful that both are able to hit the gym hard all summer which is why if they aren't on the ice for Dev Camp, I wouldn't be sad. It feels like they need more time moving weight plates than trying not to get a groin pull in July.

Some may be out of sight, out of mind and it probably doesn't stop until/when someone in their prospect group is traded or they make a significant jump in their overall play.

As for the collection of Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Rosen, Quinn and Peterka, there is going to be debate on who is where and what role as well as who is likely moveable (either hurts least or garners most value). And yes, I'd consider putting Poltapov in that group though by role, it's possible he fits more in a high-energy, checking role (which can be said of Ostlund already and possibly Peterka and even Kulich).

What we can look at right now is that while Rosen's season was good, he's not ready and he's not going to command the attention like others do right now. And ultimately, it might be that Savoie is the one who is moved because of positional flexibility and possibility of being a game breaking offensive contributor may be their most valuable asset to make a considerable splash for the big club.
I think the idea maybe with our group of players might be to move away from the traditional idea of roles and be four lines deep

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the idea maybe with our group of players might be to move away from the traditional idea of roles and be four lines deep

Depth isn't a bad thing. Getting mismatches isn't a bad thing.

Players who give it back because they're not responsible enough in their own zone? That's what they're going to need to work on with most of the kids.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It definitely does with the group they iced this past season coupled with the guys coming up.

You still need guys to send over the board with a 1-0 lead, kill a big penalty etc. There's just as many big forwards as small forwards and skating seems to be the bigger factor in their up tempo style. I think he'll pick up a bigger defenseman also which would make the top 4 imposing. I don't think Adams intends to roll out a tiny team and he hasn't so far.

I mean to me, becoming the devils is my biggest fear. Super fun to watch, Lindy has them playing pretty tight and a good defensive group as well. But in the playoffs, that up tempo breaks down against bigger, more physical guys that slow you down in the neutral zone and threaten a monster hit while it's tougher to get to spots in the O zone. In your own zone, you're losing board battles and not able to tie up guys moving to spots. I think that's what we saw with NJ as they were eventually slowed down through the NZ and their team defense broke down. Decent goaltending was exposed.

They have plenty of time to clean things up though and I just meant this season as an example.

Reactions: Faceboner

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Because he's about an inch and a half shorter than NHL average? (that's all I got)
Ignoring that size is a real thing will build a roster that makes the playoffs and no farther. Notice anything about the teams winning in the playoffs? If you can't handle the physicality, you will not win the cup.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
He's not, but the Savoie fan club will dog pile you into oblivion if you suggest such a thing in his thread. I tried it near the deadline and got smoked, so no one speaks of it anymore. Apparently, he is an untouchable guaranteed superstar that cannot be traded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He's not, but the Savoie fan club will dog pile you into oblivion if you suggest such a thing in his thread. I tried it near the deadline and got smoked, so no one speaks of it anymore. Apparently, he is an untouchable guaranteed superstar that cannot be traded.

Said no one ever.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I have been saying this forever. Organizations, especially ones that are not competing for cups, do not trade their immediate picks. Because they drafted that player, the value immediately becomes higher than their actual value to the organization. Savoie is a top 10 pick. Young teams do not trade that. Savoie has top line potential you don't trade that way after one year when he is trending well. KA has reiterated draft, develop, and sign their own which further supports Savoie is untouchable. Unless you are Vegas, most teams won't give up their top prospect-Savoie. Do you need more reasons are are you just rawr untouchable triggers me?

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

I wanted Konecny, I still pine for him :laugh:

Maybe Philly will take Rosen? :naughty:

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
For those assuming Rosen will be unsuccessful in the playoffs- Marchessault is 2 inches shorter and is a Conn Smythe candidate. Short doesn't mean = less grit/playing small.

Keep this kid Adams. I think he's special and fairly easily PPG+ by age 26/27. Skinner, Okposo, Girgensons, Jost, Olofsson, Greenway (maybe) will be gone and we can fit in the kids.

Keep him and the kids in the AHL for awhile. No rush to trade them before we know what we have. No rush to fit them in.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It’s not as if Adams flat out stated that Savoie and Kulich were nonstarters or anything. Please…use Savoie in every trade proposal or anything. Makes total sense. Good use of your time.

Reactions: Fjordy

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

15. Isak Rosen, RW

3/15/2003 | 5-foot-11 | 156 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 14 in 2021
Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Analysis: Rosen had a productive 19-year-old season in the AHL, scoring 37 points for Rochester. He had a solid world juniors for Sweden as well. He’s a good skater with very good hands who can create offense in transition. From a standstill, he’s a legitimate shot threat who can pick corners from range. He can make plays but I wouldn’t call him a premier passer. His compete is also just OK, and not ideal for a smaller player. It’s why I’m not sure what his NHL role is unless the offense is just exceptional, but he certainly has NHL talent.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad