GWT: EPL - Matchweek 37 (Ft. MW 34)

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I remember predicting Spurs to finish 5th/6th before the season. But after the great run to start the season, top four looked pretty likely. Safe to say that how it has ended has left a sour taste in my mouth.

I'd still stick with Ange, supposedly he wants a lot of squad turnover, but things better improve.

Reactions: maclean and luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They need a lot of turnover. He's playing with a lot of guys who other managers got. But in some cases it does seem to be the "positive mentality" is outweighing results. Sure, they go after clubs and I guess that's good... but at some point that has to end up in results.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I'd still stick with Ange, supposedly he wants a lot of squad turnover, but things better improve.

What do you mean still? He should be manager of the year.

Most media predictions had Spurs 8th or lower. Some had them in the bottom 6 of the league. He’s so outperformed expectations it’s ridiculous that people are thinking that he may not be the right guy?

Come on

Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
They need a lot of turnover. He's playing with a lot of guys who other managers got. But in some cases it does seem to be the "positive mentality" is outweighing results. Sure, they go after clubs and I guess that's good... but at some point that has to end up in results.
I think it will, but as you said, there needs to be a lot of turnover there and he has to get guys that can, and maybe more importantly, WILL play his style of football.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
What do you mean still? He should be manager of the year.

Most media predictions had Spurs 8th or lower. Some had them in the bottom 6 of the league. He’s so outperformed expectations it’s ridiculous that people are thinking that he may not be the right guy?

Come on
Im not suggesting that he's not been good, and it definitely would be ridiculous to get rid of him after this year, but he's not manager of the year. He's maybe top 5.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Im not suggesting that he's not been good, and it definitely would be ridiculous to get rid of him after this year, but he's not manager of the year. He's maybe top 5.

I mean, it should be Emery, but my point stands that losing your clubs greatest player of all time after finishing 8th without a replacement and to do better is not appreciated because people are used to Spurs in the top 5.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I mean, it should be Emery, but my point stands that losing your clubs greatest player of all time after finishing 8th without a replacement and to do better is not appreciated because people are used to Spurs in the top 5.
Jimmy Greaves left Spurs 54 years ago brother

but yea, my pre-season predictions (which we will revisit after Sunday to review how cartoonishly hilariously bad they were) had Spurs in 8-9.

The Athletic (and i think @hatterson echoed it in this thread somewhere) put it aptly the other day when they said that the only reason why the mood at Spurs is dour rather than celebratory is that Ange got the order of events backwards and started strong before dropping off rather than finishing strong. Pre-season, 5th would've been happily taken by every Spurs fan I know.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
To be fair... he can't help it, but Chelsea being a dumpster fire for part of the season, United being about as exciting to watch as paint dry, and Newcastle not playing anywhere near where they were for last season (honestly, them not being able to kick on in the project might get Howe sacked/bonesawed) is as much of the reason Spurs are where they are more so than any particular magic of the manager.

I will concede that he's been playing inspired football at times and he's gotten more out of a few of the players than past managers could have. But there's a major gap between that and being manager of the year. Or even clearly being the guy for Spurs. I think personally the issue is more in the recruitment department than anything else, but without CL, that might be difficult.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think what Postecoglou has done goes beyond wins and losses. The atmosphere around the club at the tail end of last year was miserable. Conte trashed everything associated with Tottenham, the players, the board, the history... Postecoglou has changed that while implementing a style of football that Spurs fans have been begging for since Poch left.

What I think some people here may be mistaking for Spurs fans being overconfident early in the year was just the fans relishing this breath of fresh air after so much doubt and uncertainty (thinking back to the manager search... Nagelsmann? Slot?). Emery should be manager of the year imo but Ange should probably be top 3 (not even sure who the other would be offhand).

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Remember how many coaches turned down Spurs as well. Every club had important injuries (maybe except Arsenal) but this season would have gone much better if the depth on defense would have been addressed before having to play Emerson Royal in central defense. Offensively, Maddison's injury and his lack of form after coming back also killed any UCL hopes. Richarlison and Werner, both better than expected, also missed significant time.

Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

"The foundations are really fragile," the Australian said. "The last 48 hours have shown me that.

"It's inside the club, outside the club. Outside, inside, everywhere. It's been an interesting exercise. It's just my observations, mate."

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I always felt Ange very naive in his playstyle which kind of reminded Klopp in his first season at LFC. He will have to target players this offseason that can keep up with the way he wants to play to get success.

Reactions: Peen and luiginb

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Groß moving the ball a few yards forward and then bitching that the wall is too close and refusing to take the kick is…. a choice….

Gallagoat to the rescue

Apparently "hit the deck whenever possible" is official Brighton policy today, this is insanity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad