Proposal: EP40 for Drai. Who says no!?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes and Taylor Hall won a Hart trophy at one point too. Not sure what you're trying to insinuate here lol.

lol Taylor Hall couldn't hold Draisaitl's jock strap. Draisaitl is the highest producing player in the playoffs per game in the modern NHL, higher than McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon, Ovechkin, Malkin, whoever you want to trot out. In the last 3-4 years there's like two guys maybe that have more points than Draisaitl in the entire league (McDavid and maybe Kucherov, not even sure on Kucherov).

No one has more 50 goal seasons + 100 point seasons than him the last 10 years, nobody.

Reactions: Duke74

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Great analysis, lets use a players stats from before he broke out to evaluate the player he is today ! Phenomenal job man!

You understand that Petterson in his 6th season, this is Draisaitls 10th ? And that Petterson has gotten significantly better than he was a couple years ago ?

This would be like me taking Draisaitls stats from 17-18 as an evaluation of the player he became in 19-20. Makes absolutely no sense, it's just foolish lol.

Should we evaluate who each player is today, or who scored more points throughout their careers ?

As of this moment in time, Petterson > Draisaitl. If you asked us that question two years ago ? Draisaitl > Petterson. Not a tough concept to grasp.

Regardless if you wanna take Draisaitl, that's cool. I'm just giving you my rationale for the Petterson. As I've said, he's significantly better defensively while producing similar points offensively (now, since it now needs to be said to you)

Man EP sure is a defensive god. +3 on the year when his team is +34 in goal differential...

Yeah EP broke out and he still lagged heavily behind Drai the last 2 years.

Vancouver had the best start they've had since EP has been in the league and Edmonton one of their worst since Drai has been on the team. Yet... he's still pacing for more points... again...

I also love people who discredit the PP goals for Drai. Ovi who is widely considered the GOAT of goal scoring had a ton of seasons where his PPG was almost half of his total goals.

Also really funny how every single player in the league can play with super star teammates except for Drai.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Wow! Draisaitl is already 28. Love the player but the extra 3 years with EP fits the Canucks timeline better.
Also, not a fan of LD’s defensive play. He’s one of the worst forwards I’ve seen for committing to D.

• Haha
Reactions: Draiskull

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I haven't shifted any goalposts, my original point was about his point production dropping off significantly when looking at even strength vs peers, as opposed to power play. And I also outlined how there was an especially big difference in goals in particular.

I mean he's scored 50 goals multiple times in his career, I think it's a bit inaccurate to call him "primarily a playmaker"

Agreed on the third part here, he's been elite pretty much for his entire career. I will never suggest that he isn't elite.

Over the last 3 years

Petterson 123 ESP in 183 gp
Draisaitl 147 ESP in 181 gp

Over the last 2 years (Where Petterson broke out in to the star that he is now)

Petterson 84 ESP in 103gp (33 EVG)
Draisaitl 79 ESP in 101gp (22 EVG)

My overall point is this. Petterson produces similar even strength numbers, better even strength goals WITHOUT McDavid, while being much better defensively.
Pettersson has good linemates too. Saddle him with Yamamoto and Ceci and let's see how he does instead Hughes and Boeser. That's how it works, right? Because when not with McDavid, Draisaitl's linemates leave a lot to be desired.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Pettersson has good linemates too. Saddle him with Yamamoto and Ceci and let's see how he does instead Hughes and Boeser. That's how it works, right? Because when not with McDavid, Draisaitl's linemates leave a lot to be desired.
Fair point, but I think McDavid is more influential than any of them.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Wow! Draisaitl is already 28. Love the player but the extra 3 years with EP fits the Canucks timeline better.
Also, not a fan of LD’s defensive play. He’s one of the worst forwards I’ve seen for committing to D.
Lol.

Petterson for selke being invented by Canuck fans is like Matthews for Selke by Leaf fans. Can't beat em at anything so let's start the great defensive player narrative. Petterson has been garbage defensively this season. His 5 on 5 metrics suck axxx.

Reactions: Duke74

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
From a purely theoretical exercise - VAN says no because EP has 3 more years of "peak" left in his career than LD.

From a practical perspective - IMO both teams say no. Both players hopefully have reasons to re-sign where they've spent their entire career, and there would not be any of that "loyalty" (or call it comfort if you'd rather) if they got traded.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Lol.

Petterson for selke being invented by Canuck fans is like Matthews for Selke by Leaf fans. Can't beat em at anything so let's start the great defensive player narrative. Petterson has been garbage defensively this season. His 5 on 5 metrics suck axxx.

"Vancouver Canucks centre Elias Pettersson earned votes in three separate National Hockey League Award categories as trophies were presented on Monday night in Nashville.

Pettersson finished seventh in voting for the Frank J Selke Award, eighth in Lady Byng voting and tied with Sidney Crosby for 18th spot in Hart Trophy balloting."

Life must suck not knowing how to search the most basic things up before running your mouth.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Lol.

Lol! Well I guess you’re a bit of an expert on poor defensive players.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

"Vancouver Canucks centre Elias Pettersson earned votes in three separate National Hockey League Award categories as trophies were presented on Monday night in Nashville.

Pettersson finished seventh in voting for the Frank J Selke Award, eighth in Lady Byng voting and tied with Sidney Crosby for 18th spot in Hart Trophy balloting."

Life must suck not knowing how to search the most basic things up before running your mouth.
We all know just how much credibility the voters have. It's reaching when you have to bring up being voted 8th or 9th or 18th by these voters.

Show us actual proof that Pettersons defensive metrics are even top 20 in the league this year across all facets of his game.

Go on faceoffs
Penalty Kill
Takeaways
Giveaways
Corsi
+-
Etc.

Let's see this genius defensive player that's more Valuable than Leon Fn Draisaitl.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Man EP sure is a defensive god. +3 on the year when his team is +34 in goal differential...

Yeah EP broke out and he still lagged heavily behind Drai the last 2 years.

Vancouver had the best start they've had since EP has been in the league and Edmonton one of their worst since Drai has been on the team. Yet... he's still pacing for more points... again...

I also love people who discredit the PP goals for Drai. Ovi who is widely considered the GOAT of goal scoring had a ton of seasons where his PPG was almost half of his total goals.

Also really funny how every single player in the league can play with super star teammates except for Drai.
I have asked several people to post stats to support the claim that EP is this god defensively and surprisingly nobody has an answer.

You would think if this claim is being made over and over there would be some pretty easy backup.

The real answer is it’s just a coping mechanism for Oiler haters because they know how good they are offensively

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Lol.

You do a wonderful job in regularly embarrassing yourself here.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We all know just how much credibility the voters have. It's reaching when you have to bring up being voted 8th or 9th or 18th by these voters.

Show us actual proof that Pettersons defensive metrics are even top 20 in the league this year across all facets of his game.

Go on faceoffs
Penalty Kill
Takeaways
Giveaways
Corsi
+-
Etc.

Let's see this genius defensive player that's more Valuable than Leon Fn Draisaitl.
Yeah, all those Selke voters have it out for the Oilers, and are Vancouver homers, and made up stories about him getting Selke votes. So are the ones that voted for Matthews, who you also tried calling out (I think?). But I guess these same super bias voters voting for McDavid for Hart are also Vancouver homers. And FFS, did you just try to justify +/- as a defensive stat? Or that notorious and under used Etc. stat?

And it's Pettersson...you can't even spell his name correctly.

My God, I'm just arguing with a biased idiot.

I'm out, you've lost any credibility with these last two posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad