News: Elvis Merzlikins requests trade

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And the Oilers are taking Blackwood at 100% so it's not a 1st
That's not how it'll work given the contract differences between Blackwood and Campbell. You can say whatever you want about Blackwood and he is cheap on his own. The issue is thinking you can just slip in Campbell's contract even at 80% for a 2nd. A 2nd is not enough for that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Kings managed to trade Petersen, so there has to be something possible here, ha ha.
The Kings had to move Walker, a 2nd, and an early 2nd round pick prospect at 20 to move Petersen. I don't think Edmonton has that sort of expendable asset(s) to make a similar deal for Campbell.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That's not how it'll work given the contract differences between Blackwood and Campbell. You can say whatever you want about Blackwood and he is cheap on his own. The issue is thinking you can just slip in Campbell's contract even at 80% for a 2nd. A 2nd is not enough for that.

I personally would trade a 1st and Campbell for Blackwood but I don't know how the Oilers value the Sharks goaltender. His lousy numbers have to be at least partly the result of playing SLS, correct?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You guys could use a 2nd for your rebuild

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I personally would trade a 1st and Campbell for Blackwood but I don't know how the Oilers value the Sharks goaltender. His lousy numbers have to be at least partly the result of playing SLS, correct?
Of course it's partly the result of playing for the Sharks. The Sharks are the worst team in the league and give up the most shots and chances. No goalie is going to hold up here and put up good stats. We'll be lucky if they're at or near league average.
You guys could use a 2nd for your rebuild
They don't need it in 2024 so there's no pressure to pay that sort of money and term to get that. Sharks have their 1st round pick, Pittsburgh's 1st round pick unless they end up in the top ten, their 2nd round pick, and New Jersey's 2nd round pick unless they go to the ECF's in which it would turn into a 1st. They don't need to eat a long term dead cap goalie to get another 2nd if they want. Another 2nd would be as simple as trading back from the Pittsburgh 1st round pick to a later 1st and an additional 2nd or two if they want. They can trade Mario Ferraro for a 2nd round pick. Campbell's contract is not going to be worth a 2nd round pick to take on especially if Edmonton is a playoff team. He's not worth Edmonton's 1st round pick on its own to take on for free or even at 80%.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Kings had to move Walker, a 2nd, and an early 2nd round pick prospect at 20 to move Petersen. I don't think Edmonton has that sort of expendable asset(s) to make a similar deal for Campbell.
Walker didn't really have any value as well. They also are paying 2M in salary of another player out of that deal, if we are splitting hairs.

A 2nd, and a prospect like Bourgault would probably be something many Oiler fans would be okay with that, considering the rumour a few weeks ago (or musings) from Freidman was that teams were asking for multiple first round picks. And that wouldn't be possible.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would pay that price as well. A Skinner-Blackwood combo would solve our goalie issue for a year, and after that Rodrigue might be ready to step up and take a spot on the big club. And we would have no cap penalty. It gives us roughly 1.5M to play with moving forward as well.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Without adding Campbell to muddy the waters I see Blackwood going for around a 3rd or a 4th.
More like the price to dump Blackwood is a SJ 3rd or a 4th.

The price to dump Campbell is 1st++ so Campbell with some retention +1st for Blackwood is not too far off.

I would pay that price as well. A Skinner-Blackwood combo would solve our goalie issue for a year, and after that Rodrigue might be ready to step up and take a spot on the big club. And we would have no cap penalty. It gives us roughly 1.5M to play with moving forward as well.
Lol @ Blackwood being the answer in Edmonton.

He will easily clear waivers.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Walker didn't really have any value as well. They also are paying 2M in salary of another player out of that deal, if we are splitting hairs.

A 2nd, and a prospect like Bourgault would probably be something many Oiler fans would be okay with that, considering the rumour a few weeks ago (or musings) from Freidman was that teams were asking for multiple first round picks. And that wouldn't be possible.
I'm not sure regarding Walker's value. I think I can be swayed on that to some degree but still a 2nd rounder plus a 2nd round level prospect is still something that the Oilers would have a hard time ponying up for such a deal. They have the draft pick but do they have the expendable prospect? I don't know if they're all that willing to give up what little futures they currently have to get rid of Campbell. I suspect they'll buy him out in the offseason rather than pay for a dump. I would probably take a 2nd and Bourgault for Campbell if they're willing to retain and/or take back enough salary but we're talking about retaining about 1.6 mil on Campbell or taking back some combination of Sturm and Rutta or something similar.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
More like the price to dump Blackwood is a SJ 3rd or a 4th.

The price to dump Campbell is 1st++ so Campbell with some retention +1st for Blackwood is not too far off.

Lol @ Blackwood being the answer in Edmonton.

He will easily clear waivers.
I don't think Blackwood is bad at all. He looked good on a bad Sharks team earlier this year. I think he would be a fine backup to Skinner

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He hasn't been 'good' the last 4 years.
I'll happily keep Pickard over Blackwood
As far as I'm concerned as it relates to the Sharks and Blackwood, you don't have to trade for him if you don't care for him. The price to dump Campbell on San Jose at full price is essentially two 1st round picks. I can concede that taking Blackwood back would lower the cost to an extent but we're talking about going from two 1st round picks to a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, and something small on top of that.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
My guess there is a 3rd that could be a 2nd on a condition like reaching the conference finals or something like that.

I would. This is one of the only proposals that makes more sense than just buying out Campbell and spending the savings anyways. Honestly I think there’s still a chance Campbell could turn it around, but if not Sharks can bury him in the minors for only 2.8M x 3 (with retention) in this deal.

Campbell (20% retained)
1st
Conditional 2nd/3rd

For

Blackwood
Duclair

Would you mind if it was Kahk over Blackwood?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I would. This is one of the only proposals that makes more sense than just buying out Campbell and spending the savings anyways. Honestly I think there’s still a chance Campbell could turn it around, but if not Sharks can bury him in the minors for only 2.8M x 3 (with retention) in this deal.

Campbell (20% retained)
1st
Conditional 2nd/3rd

For

Blackwood
Duclair

Would you mind if it was Kahk over Blackwood?
I wouldn't mind if it's Kahkonen over Blackwood but the money formula changes if that's the case which adjusts the ask a bit due to Blackwood's extra year. If it's Kahkonen instead of Blackwood, I would either ask for an additional 3rd round pick or ask that that conditional ask for Duclair become an unconditional 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad