Elias Pettersson.. Playoff Ghost

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Bunch of boomers in this thread calling finesse players "soft" and not built for the playoffs.

Team put extra effort in shutting down big players in the playoffs, I'm sure that's part of what's happening to Pettersson. He was literally a PPG player in his only previous playoff appearance.

Maybe Tocchet could try being a more-than-mediocre coach and put Elias in better situations to build his confidence? Instead of raking him over the coals in public? Fkn bum.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Why doesn’t it count? You all plugged in with the players and they’ve communicated this to you? So Tampa’s cup doesn’t count. What a dumb comment.
Ask any Habs hater. Their run to the finals doesn't count (in their fantasies).

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
People forget that the quality of hockey the first 2-3 rounds resembled that of pre-season hockey. It was nice to watch hockey at the time but it was f***ing ugly to watch in hindsight. There was nearly zero desire to hit and slow guys seemed to thrive in the bubble.
Whole thing was weird. Players had a longer break than a normal off-season so everybody was presumably well-rested, but the ability to train/skate was probably all over the place during those pandemic months so who knows what kind of game shape everybody came back in. At the very least guys weren't stepping onto the ice and going straight into regular playoff intensity after that long of a break.

Hallzy

Mar 18, 2022
As a Nucks fan its almost embarrassing to watch him right now. Guy looks like Kuzmenko without a drop of offense out there right now

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Elias Pettersson and Mitch Marner - playoff brothers from different mothers.

oof-meme.gif

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Bunch of boomers in this thread calling finesse players "soft" and not built for the playoffs.

Team put extra effort in shutting down big players in the playoffs, I'm sure that's part of what's happening to Pettersson. He was literally a PPG player in his only previous playoff appearance.

Maybe Tocchet could try being a more-than-mediocre coach and put Elias in better situations to build his confidence? Instead of raking him over the coals in public? Fkn bum.

Too bad that only "boomers" are able to accurately see that he is unable to fight through playoff level checking because......he's soft.

Plenty of finesse players in these playoffs that perform because they are able to elevate their game and battle at a playoff level. Pettersson ain't one of them.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
He's a really poor playoff performer. Can tell he's rattled by the physical intensity, shades of Matthews/Marner. Canucks fans were mad at me for suggesting that Pettersson could struggle in his first real try at playoff hockey (2020 bubble doesn't count)

That's just looking for a narrative. He's been awful for like the past 2-3 months. It's got nothing to do with the playoffs.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Petterson's mom chiming in :lol:

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Yep. He still needs to put more oomph out there and play better. But like, there is going to be no production from Petey playing with these guys. They're fundamentally bad offensive players and can't think or play the game on his level, or really execute any kind of positive offensive sequence at this level. What is he actually supposed to do with them?

There is a reason no other team utilizes their top players like this. They know because they are so important to the team, they try to maximize what they can provide by giving them better assets to work with.

If you want Petey to basically be a safe-ish, defensive 3C, then sure, this is what you can do. I don't know why they invested so much in the player if that's how they're going to utilize him.

Line rushes look like he's playing with Hoglander and Lindholm so we'll (hopefully) see something tonight.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009

Pettersson isn't even getting the tough matchups because he's not even a threat out there. Also good players perform regardless if they're being defended by good players. Look at MacKinnon, McDavid, Drai etc. If you want to be a top player, you need to perform

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
I mean look at the guy's body language. Never looked like a playoff warrior to me. Dude looks dead inside.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Van fans are very upset with him. He could make it all go away in the next 3 games. Gonna be a long off season for him if he doesn't.

Reactions: nergish

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm sorry, that's just pathetic. Everyone in this thread defending the guy needs to give their heads a shake. This is the response you would expect from a 16 year old; not a 25 year old professional athlete. Even if you're frustrated, just give a professional answer that isn't "yeah, that's a good question".

And people wonder why fans are hard on the guy...
did you watch the restored Let It Be yet? I thought it looked much better.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I've been confused since Day 1 that the guy is treated like a league superstar.

People on these boards absolutely crucify Tavares, and yet he has more points and goals than Petterson since the guy entered the league lol. Not saying he's the better player by any stretch, but Pettersson has had one very good season, and other than that does not deserve to be treated like he's a 1A player in the league.

Are you really surprised that a 100pt player in his prime for 5 years has more pts than a 20 year old rookie who played through some serious wrist issues? Your search parameters are terrible.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
In situations like this, GMs shouldn't give out these mega contracts until they see if their "franchise" players are capable of elevating their game in the playoffs.

This forum spent a decade mocking "intangibles" but it's obvious some players perform when the pressure is highest and some can't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad