Dylan james

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Does anyone know what the progress on Dylan James is? Is it a 2nd round bust or no

He'll get a bigger role next season because Blake signed a contract with the Canes, Gaber used up his 4 years, and Johannes signed an ATO with the Griffins. Those were the 3 wingers playing above him.

If he doesn't put up some points next season or bulk up, he's another Draper undersized gritty player. I guess he's aiming for fine grit sandpaper.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Does anyone know what the progress on Dylan James is? Is it a 2nd round bust or no
I personally think James can still find his way into the NHL, but I don't think he will play too far up the lineup. His skating alone makes him a viable prospect. I have zero concerns about his size. He looked much bigger than his listed size in the flesh. He plays a very straight forward game.

That said, I don't think he is greater than the sum of his individual skills (at least not yet) and I don't think the puck follows him around. He seems to chase the play more than I would like, and not because he physically can't keep up.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Would be nice to see this guy on some camp. These NCAA guys are always so tough to find any video material about them.

But they don't attend on Traverse City etc.

They can attend camp but they have to pay their own expenses, which is why only local and/or rich college kids do it. Apparently Compher paid his own way:

I wouldn't be surprised if Augustine participates because he's local (South Lyon 3.5 hr drive from TC).

As for James, yeah, the only videos of him are game highlights that show him jamming home the puck. At least he's willing to go to the dirty area, albeit in college. I couldn't find any snipes or dekes though.

Reactions: Henkka

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
As for James, yeah, the only videos of him are game highlights that show him jamming home the puck. At least he's willing to go to the dirty area, albeit in college. I couldn't find any snipes or dekes though.

Good old Canadian north-south guy with good wheels and tries hard, but not much creativity or goal-scoring instincts on display yet. He's big enough and his skating stands out, so that gives him a better chance than his stats might indicate. More prominent role could lead to a breakout season next year but we'll see.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Good old Canadian north-south guy with good wheels and tries hard, but not much creativity or goal-scoring instincts on display yet. He's big enough and his skating stands out, so that gives him a better chance than his stats might indicate. More prominent role could lead to a breakout season next year but we'll see.
Pretty much this and what @Rzombo4 prez said. I could see James becoming an effective PK guy. He could probably get 20-25 points a year by accident using his speed and effort.

One thing I thought he excelled at last year was forcing turnovers.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Not surprising that Draper would pick a kid that plays like him. Really wish he would wait until the third round to do it. Poitras is already playing for Boston, two of Seattle's picks tore up Liiga this season, and the third put up 117 pts in the OHL. Goyette was the kid I wanted, but the number there surprised me a bit.

Reactions: David D

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
They can attend camp but they have to pay their own expenses, which is why only local and/or rich college kids do it. Apparently Compher paid his own way:

I wouldn't be surprised if Augustine participates because he's local (South Lyon 3.5 hr drive from TC).

I wonder if a rule like this would get relaxed now that these college hockey players are making NIL money (at least I assume they are, or they can be at least). Seems like a rule that doesn't serve much purpose anymore.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wonder if a rule like this would get relaxed now that these college hockey players are making NIL money (at least I assume they are, or they can be at least). Seems like a rule that doesn't serve much purpose anymore.

I doubt it. NIL money was forced by the court system, there's no way the courts will force the NCAA to allow kids to accept money from professional teams, even if it's just for expenses.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I doubt it. NIL money was forced by the court system, there's no way the courts will force the NCAA to allow kids to accept money from professional teams, even if it's just for expenses.
I was thinking more along the lines of the kids might be earning enough from NIL to attend more often if they wanted to, but yeah I think you're right about that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I was thinking more along the lines of the kids might be earning enough from NIL to attend more often if they wanted to, but yeah I think you're right about that.
Oh, ok, I misunderstood.

Hockey players aren't making much from NIL yet. It's mostly football and basketball players making money, but sounds like they might get enough to attend camp.

This article is from last year:

Reactions: Sparty

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Watched some North Dakota this past year. Bottom 6 type who is defensively responsible, fast, tough. Has points in the season where his offense pops off for a few games and then he will go invisible offensively for a bit. There are aspects of Helm, and as others said, Draper & Maltby in his game. You can understand why Draper wanted him.

Reactions: lgrws91 and Realgud

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Not a difference maker at the NCAA level. Mastrosimone was levels above James as a player and he didn't even get offered a contract.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Not a difference maker at the NCAA level. Mastrosimone was levels above James as a player and he didn't even get offered a contract.
Riley Sheahan was decidedly not a difference maker at the NCAA level, yet he carved out a decade plus NHL career. If you compare Sheahan, to say, Carter Camper, who played NCAA around the time Sheahan did you wouldn't even think they were from the same planet in terms of potential; yet only one made the show.

I'm not pegging James as a surefire NHL player, I'm just pointing out that comparing performance in college hockey is not a reliable method for projecting prospects.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Riley Sheahan was decidedly not a difference maker at the NCAA level, yet he carved out a decade plus NHL career. If you compare Sheahan, to say, Carter Camper, who played NCAA around the time Sheahan did you wouldn't even think they were from the same planet in terms of potential; yet only one made the show.

I'm not pegging James as a surefire NHL player, I'm just pointing out that comparing performance in college hockey is not a reliable method for projecting prospects.
I agree with your point, but Sheahan was absolutely a difference maker

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think things are starting to make sense. Certain people seem to view hockey through a lens similarly to where say the game of baseball can be condensed down to a home run derby. Or golf is essentially a driving range. Dingers, drives, and goals. All that matters...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad