GDT: Draft Position Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, I think we all know we're falling faster than a love addict on molly.

I am still cheering for us to win, but I'm not expecting much after trading Tanev and Hanifin, and I am also hoping the teams behind us win because I understand there is value in picking higher.

After being curb stomped by the Avs tonight we have 17 games left and the 11th worst record in the league, or as you know the 11th overall pick going into the draft lottery.

____________________________________________________________________________________
I will update the following section as needed:

So this chart is kind of like a magic/tragic number chart except it shows how many wins/losses are needed to make it impossible for the Flames to catch/fall to them.

For teams ahead of us, a Flames loss, or a win for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5. For teams behind us, a Flames win, or a loss for that specific team will lower the number by 0.5.

Tie-breakers are not factored in.

View attachment 838138

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF and Boomstick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn’t call Celebrini generational. Franchise sure. Generational gets thrown around too much these days.
these days? It's been thrown around way too casually for well over a decade.

to me a generational payer is the best player in a generation. that mean Sid and McDavid are, Ovy and MacKinnon aren't. Gretzky is, Mario isn't. It's getting watered down more than my dad's liquor cabinet when I was in high school

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
French hockey decided to nerf our rebuild :(.

Ha ha. And I didn't realize Phaneuf was drafted at 9. That's hilarious. :)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

to me a generational payer is the best player in a generation. that mean Sid and McDavid are, Ovy and MacKinnon aren't. Gretzky is, Mario isn't. It's getting watered down more than my dad's liquor cabinet when I was in high school

Ovy and Mario aren't generational?

lmao ok then

Mario is the second best player in history and Ovy is the greatest goal scorer ever.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
French hockey decided to nerf our rebuild :(.

Ha ha. And I didn't realize Phaneuf was drafted at 9. That's hilarious. :)

If by chance some motherless son of a bitch scumbag GM *may we curse his name forever* drafts Tij before #9 I wouldn't mind Yakemchuk there.

Reminds me a bit of good ol Neon Dion. Hint of Brent Burns. Offense from the blueline is historically one of the few things this franchise does well. Hits like a truck too.

Reactions: Fig and Boomstick

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I agree it's thrown around too much, but Ovechkin and Mario are generational for me. Mario is a top 5 player all time and Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer ever.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
In absence of getting the top guys each draft year which doesn’t seem possible with this ownership/executive group, then Flames need alot of pieces to hit at the same time. Coronato to be a 40 goal scorer, Wolf a Vezina perennial nominee, Zary the next Brayden Schenn, Honzek = Jamie Benn, Bruszt to be next Weegar, and our #9 to be either top 6 forward or a top 2 dman. Not much to ask for.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

Disagree on that one. For me I don’t look at it like only one from each generation can have that status, sometimes there’s a few in one and none in others. Ovi and Mario are 100% generational especially Mario he’s the second best player ever.

If by chance some motherless son of a bitch scumbag GM *may we curse his name forever* drafts Tij before #9 I wouldn't mind Yakemchuk there.

Reminds me a bit of good ol Neon Dion. Hint of Brent Burns. Offense from the blueline is historically one of the few things this franchise does well. Hits like a truck too.
I don’t mind Yakemchuk but he’d be a reach at 9 if we’re going BPA

Reactions: User1996

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
In absence of getting the top guys each draft year which doesn’t seem possible with this ownership/executive group, then Flames need alot of pieces to hit at the same time. Coronato to be a 40 goal scorer, Wolf a Vezina perennial nominee, Zary the next Brayden Schenn, Honzek = Jamie Benn, Bruszt to be next Weegar, and our #9 to be either top 6 forward or a top 2 dman. Not much to ask for.
This is how I felt with Johnny, Monny, Bennett, Tkachuk & Hamilton. We had all the pieces in place...

Also, Mario was 100% generational, but a case could be made against Ovi - greatest goal scorer or not.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Also, as far as those complicated conditions with the Monahan trade, the wording on the final standings is in fact based on after the lottery. They mentioned it lastnight with SJ/Pitts

So, very slim chance Florida wins the lottery and we'd have to give up our pick, even if it was #1
Now that would be enough to make a guy give up completely :ha:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Also, as far as those complicated conditions with the Monahan trade, the wording on the final standings is in fact based on after the lottery. They mentioned it lastnight with SJ/Pitts

So, very slim chance Florida wins the lottery and we'd have to give up our pick, even if it was #1
If by slim chance you mean no chance sure.

1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick.
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What about all the expensive stuff we wanted? Can we still have it?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

I don't think the Flames get Florida's 2025 pick if Florida misses the playoffs next season as I believe that pick is lottery protected so i think that the only guarantee right now is that the 2025 pick is 1st OA protected and Calgary's 2025 4th round pick is off the table, the rest of the conditions are yet to be determined

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ovy and Mario aren't generational?

lmao ok then

Mario is the second best player in history and Ovy is the greatest goal scorer ever.
I explained my personal definition. I don't really give a f*** if you agree or not.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Disappointing result regardless if we only had a 1/20 chance at first overall.

It’s great we get to have Celebrini, Eichel, McDavid and Pettersson in our division. It’s great that we have *checks notes* two 34+ year old centres and a converted winger down the middle.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
We already have a Huberdeau.
4AiXzf81-4.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Fig
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad