Buffalo Bills Divisional round: Bills v. Chiefs 1/23/2022 6:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'm still numb and reeling.

The only thing I'll say to the last page or so -- that speedy playmaker/deep threat might already be on the team. Marquez Stevenson has speed to burn. He just needs reps to get the coaching staff to trust him.

I'm going back into my hole now.

Yep. This staff certainly isn't afraid to slowly develop guys (by NFL standards) then put trust in them.

I'm not expecting any big FA acquisitions this offseason given the tight cap & the fact they are already deep at tbe majority of positions.

I can only really see sense in adding another WR if Beasley walks. If that happens - the new guy basically needs to be a Beasley clone.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
There are plenty of plays and decisions to look back and rue, but the defense on that drive is indefensible. It's like they willingly conceded the FG because they were afraid of getting beat over the top. Handed it to them on a silver platter. Total lack of understanding of time and circumstances by the coaching staff. Out of everything that happened in this game, that defensive strategy is what upsets me the most.
This ^.

There’s plenty of blame to be shared. But despite all the mistakes and questionable play calls, they were ahead with 13 seconds left in the game.

In my eyes, the #1 reason they lost was the defensive play calling with 13 seconds left. They played prevent and basically gifted KC a field goal.

I can’t put it all on Frazier though. McDermott called a timeout before that play (I would assume to make sure the defense was in the right call/formation).

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I have never been on emotional roller coaster like this. I don't blame the play calls at the end. I kick it outta the endzone because the last thing I want is Hill to touch the ball. Next two d plays they looked to be covering the boundary instead of the middle of the field, which seems odd. Once it got to OT, the game was over regardless of who got it. The tie was gutting.
I take my chances with 10 guy who can run on a kickoff and knowing who you need to defend as opposed to defending (or not) multiple options. kickoff - Bills decide who gets the ball. Advantage Bills.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
This ^.

There’s plenty of blame to be shared. But despite all the mistakes and questionable play calls, they were ahead with 13 seconds left in the game.

In my eyes, the #1 reason they lost was the defensive play calling with 13 seconds left. They played prevent and basically gifted KC a field goal.

I can’t put it all on Frazier though. McDermott called a timeout before that play (I would assume to make sure the defense was in the right call/formation).
McDermott was playing for overtime. He should be fired. We have the best GM and QB in the league. No excuse for the coaching. I feel bad for Davis, his game is just an asterisk now.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
McDermott had Josh Allen on a leash for 3 quarters. It reminds me of when Levy was trying to run a fullback offense until Kelly wised him up.

Reactions: BTO

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The coaching staff cost this city a Super Bowl last night.
We`re lucky Josh Allen isn't a Jack Eichel level jerk.
I see this posted a lot, but the superbowl was far from guaranteed. The Rams are the same caliber of team with Cincy and SF only slightly behind. The Rams would've given our offense fits. They overwhelmed a very good TB O line, and destroyed a QB who has the best pocket awareness ever and is incredible at manipulating the pocket. The SB was far from guaranteed, but this loss still burns because the Bills absolutely wouldve been thr favorites had the D held at the end there.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
National media talking about how they feel bad for Josh Allen, bad for us as fans. I'm just like, we don't want your pity, we just want to be left the f*** alone. Like Jesus f***, we're all PTSD'd out of our sporting minds and last night was majorly triggering, so let us grieve and heal in peace.

Sending out hugs and hand pounds. Love you mafia.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It falls on the coaches. Called a timeout before each of the final 2 KC snaps to setup their D and that’s what they came up with. Knew the first play had to get them 15-20 yards. KC opted for a short catch and run play from Hill. Buffalo had to defend the whole field not knowing whether KC would go deep or short. But the final play, Kelce was way too wide open. KC had timeouts so sidelines s don’t really need to be guarded. Needed to carry Kelce and Hill the go to guys up the field.

I think the game was lost in Q3. Bills D was on for all of like 1 minute of game time that quarter. Buffalo ran 4 plays that quarter. Defence got gassed from that point on.

Reactions: brian_griffin

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It falls on the coaches. Called a timeout before each of the final 2 KC snaps to setup their D and that’s what they came up with. Knew the first play had to get them 15-20 yards. KC opted for a short catch and run play from Hill. Buffalo had to defend the whole field not knowing whether KC would go deep or short. But the final play, Kelce was way too wide open. KC had timeouts so sidelines s don’t really need to be guarded. Needed to carry Kelce and Hill the go to guys up the field.

I think the game was lost in Q3. Bills D was on for all of like 1 minute of game time that quarter. Buffalo ran 4 plays that quarter. Defence got gassed from that point on.

The two calls on third and short that were basically "take the ball away from Josh Allen" during that stretch were Daboll's worst of the night, IMO. They needed to go for it on at least one of those instead of punting both times.

Reactions: BTO

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
What everyone wants is both teams offense to have a chance. Then if it's tied after that then what. Keep giving both offenses equal chances til someone gets a stop? When does it end.

If it’s tied under the current rules, in the playoffs, that’s literally what you do now. Keep going until someone gets a stop. I don’t see how it’s revolutionary to give both offenses a chance.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

They did their best to screw it up by keeping Allen on a leash most of the game until they were forced to let him play at the end. He did more than anyone could have reasonably thought possible, and then the coaching staff follows it up with that final turdburger with 13 seconds left. I would be fuming at them if I were him. Heck, I am anyway, and I'm not him.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
That feels like a franchise defining loss.

hope I’m wrong.

It's definitely a bigger deal than last year. I get too caught up in narratives but this really is going to be one now. We put everything we had into this season and the same exact outcome ended things. That tells me it's time to make some personnel changes on the sidelines, more than on the field.

The Buffalo in me still gets nervous that Allen will suddenly get disillusioned and the happy-go-lucky guy we've all come to love is going to get jaded. Losses like these can do that to the best of them.

Reactions: Onslow

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
They did their best to screw it up by keeping Allen on a leash most of the game until they were forced to let him play at the end. He did more than anyone could have reasonably thought possible, and then the coaching staff follows it up with that final turdburger with 13 seconds left. I would be fuming at them if I were him. Heck, I am anyway, and I'm not him.

The coaches let him down big time. He played, essentially, 2 perfect games, and they let it go to waste with 13 seconds to kill. All they had to do was stop KC from getting 50yds in <13 seconds.

The good news is that JA will be here for a very long time, so there's more where that came from, but the coaches need to be a whole lot better.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
McDermott was playing for overtime. He should be fired. We have the best GM and QB in the league. No excuse for the coaching. I feel bad for Davis, his game is just an asterisk now.

McDermott’s made the playoffs 4 of his 5 seasons in Buffalo and had this team in contention for a super bowl 2 years in a row now. The Bills are now considered to be one of the best teams in the NFL and McDermott’s a big reason for that.

I totally agree he made mistakes. But there’s plenty of blame to go around and that includes Beane.

It’s way too soon to be talking about firing Sean McDermott. I think he’s without a doubt earned more time. IMO He’s the type of coach that’s worth sticking with and giving the time+resources to figure things out. His growth/evolution as a coach is plain to see.

Edit - wanted to add that I remember the narrative used to be that Andy Reid couldn’t win the big games and always choked in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad