Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The style. Not the impact already. But they play two-way game, not flashy, but with great offensive instinct. Long stick. Not physical like Seider or McAvoy but not afraid.
Still.....there's nothing we can get out of Europe. So it's all about Laval...and it hasn't been long enough to know where it's going. At least in my opinion.

Reactions: Gustave and MasterD

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Still.....there's nothing we can get out of Europe. So it's all about Laval...and it hasn't been long enough to know where it's going. At least in my opinion.

You right. But everyone makes comparisons. I just think that Heiskanen is a really great comparable because Heiskanen is a two-way D, with great offensive instinct but he is not Makar or Hughes. He is not physical like Seider or McAvoy too. So Reinbacher isn't Makar or Hughes in offense (but have great offensive tools) and not physical like Seider or McAvoy.

We can compare Reinbacher with that type of D because 22 pts in his rookie year in NLA league, that's rare and very very good.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
If people have watched a ton of michkov and reinbacher (not just highlights), and come to the conclusion that michkov was a no brainer, that's fair ball.

What I don't like is if someone pushes that belief further as a vehicle to discredit reinbacher in order to validate their own opinion.

At the end of the day, we all want the Habs to do well except sometimes it feels like we lose the plot when we pit two players against one another for personal validation to be able to say " I'm right and you're wrong"

If Mickov turns out to be a higher impact player, oh well. I just hope reinbacher turns out to be really effective for montreal too and becomes a valuable peice to the cup puzzle. That it what we want, right?
My assumption is that Michkov told many of the top picking teams not to draft him or he would stay in Russia. That is why the Flyers didn’t need to trade draft picks. In 10-20 years I expect we will learn that.

Anyway, anyone know anything about Reinbacher’s summer training regime? Has he been posting on socials?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
My assumption is that Michkov told many of the top picking teams not to draft him or he would stay in Russia. That is why the Flyers didn’t need to trade draft picks. In 10-20 years I expect we will learn that.

Anyway, anyone know anything about Reinbacher’s summer training regime? Has he been posting on socials?

It's plausible that he used the Russia card to his advantage. I've heard that speculation.... just not sure how valid it is.

Reactions: ReHabs

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
This year will be much easier to form a valid opinion regarding Reinbacher's actual potential. Last year was a shit show for his team in Switzerland, plus he had some injuries that slowed down his progression. Everybody is piling on regarding how bad of a pick this was and how he doesn't have top 2 potential when in reality it's way too early to form an opinion as he's far from a finished product. I think a lot of posters will be pleasantly surprised next season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This year will be much easier to form a valid opinion regarding Reinbacher's actual potential. Last year was a shit show for his team in Switzerland, plus he had some injuries that slowed down his progression. Everybody is piling on regarding how bad of a pick this was and how he doesn't have top 2 potential when in reality it's way too early to form an opinion as he's far from a finished product. I think a lot of posters will be pleasantly surprised next season.

Indeed.

If he wins a spot out of camp (which, I won't bet on but is definitely not out of the question), it'll be because the Habs feel he can get top 4 deployment. Much like Slaf, it will come with some early bumps, but watch him settle in quickly and end up challenging for the Calder.

With only Savard a lock at RD, the opportunity to force the issue is there, and I bet that's his focus as he trains & prepares this summer.

Camp will be fun to watch this year.

Hutson, RB, Barron, Strubble, Xhekaj, Harris all fighting for an opening day spot in the NHL on the back end...

Future is bright 😎

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I mean we laugh at the Stat and I get it and all but..

How David got to +6 in just 11 games on that garbage AHL team, I'll never know lol..
Scored a couple goals
Getting used to the smaller rink which will ONLY help his game really with skating and reach

Honestly the early returns are actually 'good', and nothing close to something to worry about
Big year for him next year tho I agree

One wonders if Mailloux would 'be in the way' sort of and maybe starts in NHL next year to give the reins to Rein (and hutson) as a top AHL pair for us

Reactions: jaffy27 and Tyson

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The McKeen’s 2024 Prospect Report was just released, and Reinbacher was ranked the 17th best prospect in hockey. Our boy Ryan Leonard is 6th..

The Habs list:

1. Reinbacher (17)
2. Hutson (27)
3. Roy (35)
4. Mailloux (45)
5. Fowler (52)
6. Beck (110)
7. Farrell (118)
8. Dobes (125)
9. Kapanen (126)
10. Konyushkov (170)
11. Mesar (173)
12. Engstrom (175)
13. Kidney (191)
14. Heineman
15. Trudeau

Nice list. I liked Leonard but I think we will be fine with Reinbacher...

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Don't be surprised if both Hutson and Reinbacher force their way onto the blueline during camp.

I'd be very surprised to see both make it out of camp unless Hughes moves 2 of Harris, Kovacevic or Barron. I don't think Kent is in a hurry to move Barron, so that leaves finding a buyer for Kovacevic and Harris. Struble can be sent down, but even then, they're not going to carry 8 D on the big club and waste valuable development time having some sit in the press box. They'll carry 7 if need be. but not 8.

I honestly think the only D being moved in the offseason will be Kovacevic. I'm sure he'll look to move Harris but I have doubts he finds a deal to his liking, verses the risk of moving his young D too quickly.

Guhle Matheson
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Barron
Harris

Struble sent to AHL
Kovacevic traded.

The habs can carry or even play 7 dmen, but they can't do more.

Last edited:

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
My guess is that people still trashing the Reinbacher pick did not watch or forgot last years rookie tournament and his pre-season play.
Kid is a big/smart/responsable/good skater with a bit of a mean streak.
Honestly, I know nothing about Austria’s minor hockey, but I’m pretty certain he was not developing at the same rate and against the same caliber as Canadian and American kids .
Give the kid a little time to adapt.
By the age of 22~23, he'll be a permanent fixture as our #1 or #2 RD for 10 years. I have zero doubt.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Don't be surprised if both Hutson and Reinbacher force their way onto the blueline during camp.

I won't be surprised if Reinbacher is better than Barron at camp. But I'll be surprised if Barron is traded for very little in return. Perhaps in that scenario he would sit as the 8th D until there is a reasonable offer or injuries.

But I would think Reinbacher can learn a lot in the AHL about the North American game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You right. But everyone makes comparisons. I just think that Heiskanen is a really great comparable because Heiskanen is a two-way D, with great offensive instinct but he is not Makar or Hughes. He is not physical like Seider or McAvoy too. So Reinbacher isn't Makar or Hughes in offense (but have great offensive tools) and not physical like Seider or McAvoy.

We can compare Reinbacher with that type of D because 22 pts in his rookie year in NLA league, that's rare and very very good.

I see more of a H Lindholm / Dobson mix. Heiskanen is very offensive minded and not sure Reinbacher has that in him. I can see Reinbacher moving the puck well but not sure he enters the offensive zone like Heiskanen's style.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I won't be surprised if Reinbacher is better than Barron at camp. But I'll be surprised if Barron is traded for very little in return. Perhaps in that scenario he would sit as the 8th D until there is a reasonable offer or injuries.

But I would think Reinbacher can learn a lot in the AHL about the North American game.

Barron has more trade value than most in our herd understands. He's a rare RD with size/skating/shot power and his only challenge is maturity. GM's love to target pieces like this (before they break out or become trusted).

Barron's career numbers with goals so far is 12 in 94 games. That prorates to 10 goals which is well above average for NHL D. He's able to do this while not having a stable spot too. Barron's trade value is way more than Harris.

Reinbacher should be brought along slowly. Same with Hutson. Unless they force their way on with solid play at both ends of the ice, they will get some NHL games but mostly AHL this season.

Would be an interesting poll... Who gets more NHL games next year?
* Hutson
* Reinbacher
* Mailloux

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Barron has more trade value than most in our herd understands. He's a rare RD with size/skating/shot power and his only challenge is maturity. GM's love to target pieces like this (before they break out or become trusted).

Barron's career numbers with goals so far is 12 in 94 games. That prorates to 10 goals which is well above average for NHL D. He's able to do this while not having a stable spot too. Barron's trade value is way more than Harris.

Reinbacher should be brought along slowly. Same with Hutson. Unless they force their way on with solid play at both ends of the ice, they will get some NHL games but mostly AHL this season.

Would be an interesting poll... Who gets more NHL games next year?
* Hutson
* Reinbacher
* Mailloux

Goals aren't the issue with Barron, it's defensive play, defensive coverage and turnovers...

He's worth what some other GM is willing to pay.

Reactions: rickthegoon

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Goals aren't the issue with Barron, it's defensive play, defensive coverage and turnovers...

He's worth what some other GM is willing to pay.

Yes, his maturity in his own zone needs more work. This happens with a lot of guys on D. But don't underestimate his potential as a big mobile RD who can move the puck and has a great shot/goal scoring ability. 10 goals / 82 games while not playing full time in a consistent spot just gives you a glimpse of what he can do. Maturity and playing smart in our own zone, is teachable. Even Xhekaj went though this last year.

We don't have to trade him. I'm in no hurry to rush Reinbacher and Hutson to the NHL at this stage. Another year to evaluate Xhekaj, Barron, and Mailloux is required. Harris is one I can see us moving for whatever we can get. Not Barron.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, his maturity in his own zone needs more work. This happens with a lot of guys on D. But don't underestimate his potential as a big mobile RD who can move the puck and has a great shot/goal scoring ability. 10 goals / 82 games while not playing full time in a consistent spot just gives you a glimpse of what he can do. Maturity and playing smart in our own zone, is teachable. Even Xhekaj went though this last year.

We don't have to trade him. I'm in no hurry to rush Reinbacher and Hutson to the NHL at this stage. Another year to evaluate Xhekaj, Barron, and Mailloux is required. Harris is one I can see us moving for whatever we can get. Not Barron.

I think I was joining the discussion where the scenario was presented that Reinbacher was ready. I have Reinbacher penciled into the AHL to start, mainly because of all the NHL bodies that can't pass through waivers. But 5th overall picks tend to be NHL ready sooner rather than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad