Darren Dutchyshen - 1966–2024

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Absolute icon, him and Jennifer Hedger were on TV before school every morning. RIP Dutchy, may your stick continue to be long from time to time.

pICOHBH.jpeg

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Ah man this sucks.

Had family that knew him growing up in Porcupine Plain, heck my mom even went on a double? date with him once to a drive in theatre way back in the day. Tried to hook her up with his university buddy.

Ended up marrying my grandmothers younger cousin Candice

By all accounts a great guy though I never got to meet him.

Cancer fkn sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanMerc

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I got to meet him and Solkowski with my brother and my cousins when I was about 9. My Aunt had a friend that worked at ITV and we got a tour of the studios and some areas where SCTV was filmed. We told him that we always had a tough time pronouncing his name or even spelling it so we came up with "Darren DoesDishes" He loved it.

Got to watch them do Sports Night from the back of the studio. He was a great man. R.I.P. Dutchy!

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Oh man this is sad. Always liked Darren right from watching him on STV in Saskatoon right on through his TSN days.

Condolences to his family and all who enjoyed him on TV.

RIP Dutchy 🙏

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
They were?
From Simmons article

Dutchyshen passed away Wednesday at the young age of 57, after a giant career and a long battle with cancer, leaving behind his three adult children, his mom, his longtime partner Kate Beirness, those he worked with at TSN and a nation that embraced his energy, his enthusiasm, his enormous personality and his absolute joy of bringing sports to a country that embraces it.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I mostly remember Darren on ITV because I didn't get cable. He was there when I was getting interested in hockey so this is a loss of childhood in the 90s for me.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I met him on a plane to Saskatoon last year (I recognized his voice) and we chatted for a bit (I had my Canucks cap on). He was a nice guy. He seemed like he a very "big" personality, and he seemed in great health to me, so I was surprised and saddened to hear this.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Growing up there, I've always rooted for the ones that came out of Saskatchewan and did well for themselves, feeling a sort of kindred spirit for them.
Dutchie being one the lasting faces I'll always rmmbr on TSN, sad to see you go, RIP.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
This one affected me more than I expected considering I never met the guy. He had that rare ability to communicate that he was a real genuine, decent person without needing to meet him. Just an awesome Sportscaster. I hope when I go I have similar impact on people that I knew. I know I won’t on people I didn’t know; that’s a rare thing.

God speed dutchy.

Reactions: Dialamo and rea

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
From Simmons article

Dutchyshen passed away Wednesday at the young age of 57, after a giant career and a long battle with cancer, leaving behind his three adult children, his mom, his longtime partner Kate Beirness, those he worked with at TSN and a nation that embraced his energy, his enthusiasm, his enormous personality and his absolute joy of bringing sports to a country that embraces it.

Interesting, I thought he was married with three kids...I guess divorced

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
RIP Dutchy. I struggled to read through all the condolences that went out his way today. I've never met him but it still hit me a lot harder than I expected.

Reactions: Peasy and CanMerc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad