CXLVII - Is this the 'Final Countdown' in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If the Coyotes win the land auction the club stays, but if they lose the land auction they go?
If that’s the case, then shouldn’t the owner bid extra high to ensure he gets that land?
Not exactly. There's no guarantee whatsoever that winning the auction means this project is a slam dunk. There are many more hurdles to jump over. It's just one of the many steps.

Y’all get to pick one….

Seravalli’s editorializing….

Or Friedman’s non-editorial summary of things….
Except they're not really saying different things. Both are saying that Daly never confirmed they are going to stay in Arizona next year. They outline that the preference is to stay there, and the timeline doesn't allow for relocation after the auction, but both also said that there are scenarios whereby they could make a decision to pull the plug even before the auction.

If that were purely true, he would never have bought this team in particular. The Coyotes are only a means to an end if you're sure you can reach that end, and as we've seen so far, it hasn't been a slam dunk. If he truly just wanted development, why wouldn't he just do some development deals that don't involve taking on a major money sink for years on end without any guarantee of success? Sure, the maximum potential is lower, but you're a lot more likely to reach that potential without throwing good money after bad with the team involved. There are definitely other factors at play here than pure profit motive. I wouldn't call those factors altruistic, by any means (frankly, most people who own teams are motivated as much by ego as anything rational), but they do exist.
Well you pretty much sum up what most of us have been saying for years, and why none of this makes sense if we just look at things on the surface. This is a major money losing venture in the short and medium term. The only thing I can think of with regards to your point about why involve the team and the arena is that it might just be easier to bend governments over the barrel when sports teams are involved than when they are not.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Except they're not really saying different things. Both are saying that Daly never confirmed they are going to stay in Arizona next year. They outline that the preference is to stay there, and the timeline doesn't allow for relocation after the auction, but both also said that there are scenarios whereby they could make a decision to pull the plug even before the auction.
Seravalli tries to spin it with his interpretations of “what they didn’t say”. That’s definitive editoraization.

Since last Saturday, Friedman has had to make more than one clarification to what he said previously. Because people were misinterpreting what he meant.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
To Habs point about a deadline. We all know that the auction will be 10 weeks. The NHL knows it will be 10 weeks. Knowing this, if there is a deadline in place then it would only make sense ( ironic word considering there hasn’t been any sense in this whole saga) that this deadline is well after the auction. And to me, that would suggest another season on campus.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I read on another site that the City of Phoenix would need to submit the an "infrastructure letter" for this project. Does anyone know what an infrastructure letter is and is the City of Phoenix on board with providing it?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I read on another site that the City of Phoenix would need to submit the an "infrastructure letter" for this project. Does anyone know what an infrastructure letter is and is the City of Phoenix on board with providing it?

Here's one. It's the infrastructure report, and it's 169 pages. But it's for the 2300 arce plus parcel in North Phoenix currently on the auction list.

There there's the Participation and Infrastructure Contract. 101 pages.

There are 9 more documents associated with that listing.

Reactions: Stumbledore

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
To Habs point about a deadline. We all know that the auction will be 10 weeks. The NHL knows it will be 10 weeks. Knowing this, if there is a deadline in place then it would only make sense ( ironic word considering there hasn’t been any sense in this whole saga) that this deadline is well after the auction. And to me, that would suggest another season on campus.
10 weeks -> diez semanas -> doez semanas -> does semanas -> DOS SEMANAS

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
We don't though. All we know right now is when the earliest date is with regards to the auction. People have been alluding to a June auction date, but until it actually gets posted, it's only speculation.

Beyond that, no, the deadline for that isn't after the auction, it's before. Various reporters have indicated that there are plans being drawn up for the Coyotes to play elsewhere as early as next year. As others have stated based on the Thrashers relocation, the practical deadline seems to be sometime in the beginning of May.

As for how that would actually be decided, it's obviously unknown. However, what the reporters are indicating is that there is the chance that if it's looking like there are issues, whether it's with the auction, or the plan in general maybe with financing for example, they could pull the plug.

Is it likely? Hard to say but my guess is it's unlikely. But it's certainly more relocation talk from the NHL talking heads than we've ever heard before.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Seravalli tries to spin it with his interpretations of “what they didn’t say”. That’s definitive editoraization.

Since last Saturday, Friedman has had to make more than one clarification to what he said previously. Because people were misinterpreting what he meant.
They also only give him 2 minutes for the segment, which is by far the stupidest thing Rogers does since it’s the most important segment of the week on any broadcast, anywhere

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
We don't though. All we know right now is when the earliest date is with regards to the auction. People have been alluding to a June auction date, but until it actually gets posted, it's only speculation.

Beyond that, no, the deadline for that isn't after the auction, it's before. Various reporters have indicated that there are plans being drawn up for the Coyotes to play elsewhere as early as next year. As others have stated based on the Thrashers relocation, the practical deadline seems to be sometime in the beginning of May.

As for how that would actually be decided, it's obviously unknown. However, what the reporters are indicating is that there is the chance that if it's looking like there are issues, whether it's with the auction, or the plan in general maybe with financing for example, they could pull the plug.

Is it likely? Hard to say but my guess is it's unlikely. But it's certainly more relocation talk from the NHL talking heads than we've ever heard before.
Then why would ownership or the NHL go through with the auction if they plan to pull the plug before it’s over?
Doesn’t make much sense to me.
Has to be after the auction

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Then why would ownership or the NHL go through with the auction if they plan to pull the plug before it’s over?
Doesn’t make much sense to me.
Has to be after the auction
I think you're missing the main point here though. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems as if you're assuming there is only one plan, and only one deadline, when various reporters have mentioned there being multiple scenarios that would undoubtedly have multiple deadlines.

For example

Scenario One - Deadline of May 1st - AM and his financial backers look at the economic factors in Arizona and the country and some pull out citing too much uncertainty to put that much money into the development - Result - Immediate relocation

Scenario Two - Deadline of May 1st - Word gets around that there are going to be multiple bidders on the land and not only is it going to cost more due to there being a bidding war. The price becomes unworkable/and or the result of the auction comes into serious question - Result - Immediate relocation

Scenario Three - Deadline May 1st - Some type of legal procedure happens that puts the auction in doubt and/or the timing of it becomes significantly delayed - Result - Immediate relocation

Those three scenarios are all realistically capable of happening though obviously nobody, outside of us Arizona Relocationists, really want to happen due to the seemingly rushed nature of things.

Beyond that though, various combinations of what happens in those scenarios could also happen after my suggested deadline, and could result in there being a lame duck season at ASU.

At that point, it's hard to say when the "deadline" is because it depends on what happens. Maybe they win the auction and then in 6 months the financial backers back out. Maybe they lose the auction. Maybe they win the auction, but afterwards, there are lawsuits to try and stop it from happening. Maybe something else happens. Or maybe something doesn't happen and everything goes to plan and Arizona discovers unicorns who poop rainbows on their way to getting this built and becoming the mecca of hockey and entertainment and this doesn't end up like Westgate 3.0 (TED was 2.0) and they make 10's of millions of dollars a year in profit and win back to back to back Stanley Cups.

Personally, I would look at around May 1st as roughly the deadline for something to happen to cause the NHL to pull the plug, though keep in mind, that's for their decision to pull the plug and relocate the team and get things moving, not necessarily when the announcement would happen.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s fairly clear the league is very confident in the auction. Whether that confidence is legitimate, well…

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Even if they win the auction.

What’s the timeline? 2 years? 5?

Do they even think he will be able to follow through? Buying land is one thing. Being able to build on it is a whole different level.

The yotes have been late on payments to players and allegedly have had issues with vendors.

Say he owns the land. It’s very easy to imagine issues with paying his bills and workers moving forward.

Never mind securing public funding if required.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Even if they win the auction.

What’s the timeline? 2 years? 5?

Do they even think he will be able to follow through? Buying land is one thing. Being able to build on it is a whole different level.

The yotes have been late on payments to players and allegedly have had issues with vendors.

Say he owns the land. It’s very easy to imagine issues with paying his bills and workers moving forward.

Never mind securing public funding if required.
To me it seems winning the auction for the land gets the club another year to get started on the new rink.

hammer42

Feb 5, 2023
The coyotes are done in Arizona & have been done for a long time now & nobody in Arizona wants them to build an arena in there town because they cannot pay there bills & there is no way they will get any public funding because there bad credit so in my opinion they should start hearing offers from Houston & Salt Lake City on relocating there next season .

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Why are you on a message board where people talk about whatever they want to talk about? How does it effect your life what opinions other people have?
Yall just seem to be so MAD though.

Like have an opinion, but I am not entirely sure why this is something yall need to be so mad about.

Why do people care how NHL looks? Its not your money.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Yall just seem to be so MAD though.

Like have an opinion, but I am not entirely sure why this is something yall need to be so mad about.

Why do people care how NHL looks? Its not your money.
Why do you care? Doesn't involve you, or your life, in any way. Why are you getting so upset over how other people feel on a topic that doesn't include you?

Reactions: Voight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad