Player Discussion Cutter Gauthier

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
CapFriendly recently put out Cutter's scouting report and rating. I like CF's setup such as what line/pair they're projected and the quality of play at that level. I dunno who does their scouting, but I do like their weighting system very much!

Weighting system
20%: Compete/Consistency​
20%: Hockey IQ​
20%: Skating​
12%: Puck moving/Passing (Transitional game)​
8%: Shot​
4%: DZone starts​
4%: OZone starts​
4%: PK​
4%: PP​
4%: Physicality​

So the only thing here is they rated him as a center, but do mention him as a winger too in their summary. Not sure how much that factors in.

Overall, keep him off the PK and we could be seeing some Zegras treatment for his defensive abilities.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So the only thing here is they rated him as a center, but do mention him as a winger too in their summary. Not sure how much that factors in.

Overall, keep him off the PK and we could be seeing some Zegras treatment for his defensive abilities.

They scouted him as a center b/c he played center for BC this past season. I have no idea if he played center for them the previous year.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Are there any current scouting reports on Cutter? I can only find draft year stuff floating around.

I saw this tidbit on Cutter's prospect page.

Never really in doubt, but Cutter has signed with the Ducks.

For all of the noise surrounding Cutter, he's a college hockey success story. Came back for a second year at the same program and had a historic goal-scoring season, markedly improved his 200-foot game, and was a key player on one of the better NCAA teams in recent memory. Also won gold at World Juniors. As impressive of a body of work as you can cram into a one-year period outside of the NHL itself.

See, this is what can happen if a prospect is allowed to overripen.

Last year, Cutter and Nesterenko were 1-2 in team scoring. That gives us a baseline of talent production we can connect with b/c Nesterenko is with us this season.

BC Last year
Cutter: 16g + 21a = 37 pts and +2 rating​
Nesterenko: 13g + 21a = 34 pts and +6 rating​

BC This year
Cutter: 38g + 27a = 65 pts and +23 rating​

BC had more talent this year due to the freshman line, but Cutter wasn't with the freshmen trio of Leonard-Smith-Perreault. That's a huge jump in production in goal scoring and +/- rating.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
In retrospect we are fortunate that Philly misplayed their hand. Had they waited, they would have gotten higher bids.

There was always a possibility things might have been mended with Philly, especially since the extra year was so beneficial for his development.

While too early, PV seems to have really pulled one off.

John

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
See, this is what can happen if a prospect is allowed to overripen.

Last year, Cutter and Nesterenko were 1-2 in team scoring. That gives us a baseline of talent production we can connect with b/c Nesterenko is with us this season.

BC Last year
Cutter: 16g + 21a = 37 pts and +2 rating​
Nesterenko: 13g + 21a = 34 pts and +6 rating​

BC This year
Cutter: 38g + 27a = 65 pts and +23 rating​

BC had more talent this year due to the freshman line, but Cutter wasn't with the freshmen trio of Leonard-Smith-Perreault. That's a huge jump in production in goal scoring and +/- rating.
To go even further, the points total and +/- don't even capture how much better he became without the puck. Here's what Greg Brown, the coach at BC, said about Cutter a few days ago:
Everyone notices the goals and the offense,” Brown said, “but two things: One, as a player, he's really expanded his game this year. We give him the toughest matchups most nights. He plays against a lot of other teams' first lines. He takes big draws in the defensive zone. He kills penalties now. So aside from his offensive abilities that everyone sees, he's really developed a 200-foot game.
His release was as spectacular last year as it was this year, but returning for a second year of college made him a markedly better prospect in almost every other way.

And yet you still hear people clamoring right now about how teenagers have absolutely nothing left to learn from college hockey after their freshman year and should run away as soon as possible.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
To go even further, the points total and +/- don't even capture how much better he became without the puck. Here's what Greg Brown, the coach at BC, said about Cutter a few days ago:

His release was as spectacular last year as it was this year, but returning for a second year of college made him a markedly better prospect in almost every other way.

And yet you still hear people clamoring right now about how teenagers have absolutely nothing left to learn from college hockey after their freshman year and should run away as soon as possible.
I think it depends on the player and his character as well. I think there's probably a lot of cases where the overripen doesn't work. The player keeps doing it's old tricks and does not improve.

Cutter realy has made the most of it. It's really exciting to think that Cutter was among the team leaders in points, being one of the best goal scorers OF ALL TIME, while playing with lesser (2nd line) linemates AND taking on toughest matchups. All while the rookie line was given all the offensive opportunities.

Really excited about having Cutter Gauthier :)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Folks, if you post in the main Gauthier thread in the prospects forum, it’s time to move on from the Flyers discussion. I ask you not to bait or troll Philly fans. Cutter is a Duck now so it’s about what he does now and in the future with this organization. Thanks!

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Crazy after so many years of low numbers that good players are taking high numbers. 91 and 61 in the top 6.

Reactions: Kalv

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Crazy after so many years of low numbers that good players are taking high numbers. 91 and 61 in the top 6.
I like 61, reminds me of Rick Nash. Cutter is not as much of a dangler, but if he could provide some remotely similar level of goalscoring along with a good two-way game, that would be massive.

Reactions: Kalv

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I actually think cutter makes more sense w/zegras
I agree. If his defensive chops are as good as purported, that would be nice to have on a line with Zegras. If Verbeek does add a top-6 RW, I could see that player on this line, or it could eventually be Colangelo, if he can prove himself worthy of a spot. Colangelo will never be of the same caliber as those two guys, but no one thought Zach Hyman would ever score 30 goals, much less 50. Colangelo is the type of player I could see succeeding on a line like that.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree. If his defensive chops are as good as purported, that would be nice to have on a line with Zegras. If Verbeek does add a top-6 RW, I could see that player on this line, or it could eventually be Colangelo, if he can prove himself worthy of a spot. Colangelo will never be of the same caliber as those two guys, but no one thought Zach Hyman would ever score 30 goals, much less 50. Colangelo is the type of player I could see succeeding on a line like that.
I don’t mind the idea of
Killorn carlsson terry
Vatrano mctavish strome
Gauthier zegras _____
Lundy ______ leason

find a pk/face off guy to take 4c

I do think colangelo should spend a year in the ahl, or at least most of it

And idk exactly what rws are available that make sense…. Necas, potentially boeser…. Not a fan of arvidsson fit…. Maybe we revisit kakko?

Gauthier zegras kakko could be a solid line

Reactions: JAHV

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don’t mind the idea of
Killorn carlsson terry
Vatrano mctavish strome
Gauthier zegras _____
Lundy ______ leason

find a pk/face off guy to take 4c

I do think colangelo should spend a year in the ahl, or at least most of it

And idk exactly what rws are available that make sense…. Necas, potentially boeser…. Not a fan of arvidsson fit…. Maybe we revisit kakko?

Gauthier zegras kakko could be a solid line
I really hate that top line. Until and unless Terry can turn his game around, that's gonna be a lot of puck chasing off of turnovers for Leo's line.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really hate that top line. Until and unless Terry can turn his game around, that's gonna be a lot of puck chasing off of turnovers for Leo's line.

I get Leo is a rookie and has had his speed bumps but in the games where Leo has looked like a 1C, Terry has not been good.

I get the players aren’t going where they need to be , which is why I like to see Gauthier up there who will get in position to snipe but can also play a physical game and win puck battles that are dumped.

I do put some of the fault , well more than some on the system and coaching. Have so much work to do this summer if we really are going to try and be competitive again.

Reactions: HanSolo

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think some of us are going to hate any line terry is on, unless he shows up to camp with a better mindset

Killorn carlsson _____
Vatrano mctavish terry
Gauthier zegras strome?

I don't want Terry with Z or Leo. Too much freelancing ending in a turnover. I want the puck on Z and Leo's stick.

Terry for necas(resigned) is the only solution

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The one thing I do like about Cutter with Leo is that both are Fast + Big and Leo eventually will be much better defensively than Z, so then eventually they become that line that does it all and just dominates other teams. Maybe even Colangelo becomes a suitable passenger on their line and they put him on the top line in a few years from now Cutter/Leo/Colangelo and dominate teams with Size and Skill, thats if Colangelo pans out.

but say they win the lottery this year they could have a future Celebrini/Carlsson/Cutter line that eventually dominates teams and doing all the heavy lifting as well.

Reactions: lwvs84 and HanSolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad