CFL 2024

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Went to the Elks website and couldn't get the final score. Game tracker wasn't working.

Who listened to the game? What was final score?

Eric Upton, long time member of the dynasty team has passed away at age 71.
I went to the game with about another 2,000 people. It was a typical Elks game. The Elks had plenty of offence and the defence was actually pretty solid. Most of the elks scoring was via field goals. Riders first touchdown was a bobbled punt at the Elks 5 yard line that Sasky recovered and went into the end zone with.

The Elks also turned over the ball at about their 15 yard line with Saskatchewan offence scoring a major thereafter.

With less than two minutes left in the game and the Riders trailing by one they punted the ball form their side of half and the punt returner fumbled the ball to set up the Riders winning field goal.

So this was a typical Elks getting ready for the season.

Trey Ford came into the game in the second half to get the team from a trailing position into a leading one and was replaced halfway into the fourth quarter by Doege.

Game tracker is available on the goelks website right now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I went to the game with about another 2,000 people. It was a typical Elks game. The Elks had plenty of offence and the defence was actually pretty solid. Most of the elks scoring was via field goals. Riders first touchdown was a bobbled punt at the Elks 5 yard line that Sasky recovered and went into the end zone with.

The Elks also turned over the ball at about their 15 yard line with Saskatchewan offence scoring a major thereafter.

With less than two minutes left in the game and the Riders trailing by one they punted the ball form their side of half and the punt returner fumbled the ball to set up the Riders winning field goal.

Trey Ford came into the game in the second half to get the team from a trailing position into a leading one and was replaced halfway into the fourth quarter by Doege.

I think the offense will be much improved this year.

-A veteran, proven CFL QB--not exciting but competent
-A reliable backup with great scrambling ability
-lower roster turnover which I believe is key to success
-receiving core intact from last season
-best RB in many years returning
-O line in tact from last year and at least know each other's names

Looking forward to the season

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
New Stadium?

If the OEG is getting this involved with Commonwealth renovations then I assume that Katz's group will be the new owners--that's good. I've been saying all along that an arrangement like the Stamps and Flames have (under common ownership) has kept the Stamps alive for a long time and the same might now be said for the Elkimos who have a year left on the extinction clock.

Selling the EE club to people with limited resources means that the club could be in more financial trouble within a matter of months so go for very deep pockets and keep the team for another 20 years minimum.

I still don't understand why Commonwealth would be demolished when it is had $200M in upgrades since its inception and still looks beautiful compared to so many other stadiums in North America. It sounds like a new stadium is a political move as opposed to a practical one but I guess Edmonton is just as entitled to some sports dollars as is chief rival Calgary.

The City of Calgary had a $650M deal on the table for a new hockey rink before our ever popular and agreeable mayor managed to get a deal for 1.3B--funded by provincial taxpayers so I guess if provincial taxpayers are on the hook for that money then perhaps a new stadium in Edmonton should follow on its heels.

Keith Gerein going to bat for the Eskimos? For those who have forgotten Keith, he was pounding the drums for the name change on a daily basis along with fellow Pulitzer prize finalist Mongo Gerry. I see Post Media is selling a bunch of these newspapers in response to declining readership. Maybe these 2 guys can get jobs at the new stadium's concession booths.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
If the OEG is getting this involved with Commonwealth renovations then I assume that Katz's group will be the new owners--that's good. I've been saying all along that an arrangement like the Stamps and Flames have (under common ownership) has kept the Stamps alive for a long time and the same might now be said for the Elkimos who have a year left on the extinction clock.

Selling the EE club to people with limited resources means that the club could be in more financial trouble within a matter of months so go for very deep pockets and keep the team for another 20 years minimum.

I still don't understand why Commonwealth would be demolished when it is had $200M in upgrades since its inception and still looks beautiful compared to so many other stadiums in North America. It sounds like a new stadium is a political move as opposed to a practical one but I guess Edmonton is just as entitled to some sports dollars as is chief rival Calgary.

The City of Calgary had a $650M deal on the table for a new hockey rink before our ever popular and agreeable mayor managed to get a deal for 1.3B--funded by provincial taxpayers so I guess if provincial taxpayers are on the hook for that money then perhaps a new stadium in Edmonton should follow suite.

Keith Gerein going to bat for the Eskimos? For those who have forgotten Keith, he was pounding the drums for the name change on a daily basis along with fellow Pulitzer prize finalist Mongo Gerry. I see Post Media is selling a bunch of these newspapers in response to declining readership.
I took the Commonwealth part of the story more as OEG has a good relationship with the govt, our city admin does not, and they are running point on behalf of the city to get equitable improvements to our facilities, with OEG getting a few freebies for their troubles. Who knows though.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I took the Commonwealth part of the story more as OEG has a good relationship with the govt, our city admin does not, and they are running point on behalf of the city to get equitable improvements to our facilities, with OEG getting a few freebies for their troubles. Who knows though.
Yes you might be right--perhaps they aren't buying the Elks but it would certainly make sense. Maybe Oiler games could run promotions in combination with the Elks wrt ticket sales.

I'm just afraid that if you sell the football club to one of the Glieberman brothers/Horn Chen/ Feterik or Murray Pezims of the 21st century then you end up with more trouble than you had to begin with.

The Oilers are going to be around in Edmonton for years and if they came under the same umbrella as the Elks then the football club will also be around for many years and can rebuild its reputation.

After all, the entire EE player budget is the financial equivalent of a bottom six forward on the Oilers.

Either way, we'll have our answer on the sale of the club shortly.

Don't recall any dropped passes. There was a fumble after a catch but guys were making their catches.
The receivers are solid. The offensive line remains as a key issue but O-lines are always complicated in terms of execution--be it CFL or NFL teams.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

The City of Calgary had a $650M deal on the table for a new hockey rink before our ever popular and agreeable mayor managed to get a deal for 1.3B--funded by provincial taxpayers so I guess if provincial taxpayers are on the hook for that money then perhaps a new stadium in Edmonton should follow on its heels.

Keith Gerein going to bat for the Eskimos? For those who have forgotten Keith, he was pounding the drums for the name change on a daily basis along with fellow Pulitzer prize finalist Mongo Gerry. I see Post Media is selling a bunch of these newspapers in response to declining readership. Maybe these 2 guys can get jobs at the new stadium's concession booths.
This would make sense if OEG is also looking at a CPL team which I have also heard.

City has the land under the old race track. Will be interesting.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Just to add, even after giving up the lead on a the fumble and field goal, they got close enough to at least try for a game winning field goal and missed (albeit it was the rookie kicker and a 57 yard attempt where had the length but just missed).

Literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Ultimately the Elks were the better team most of the game (albeit against a lesser rider squad with many veteran staying home), but too many turnovers (4 fumbles and 1 INT) leading directly to 25 of the 28 Riders points gained off turnovers (though a defensive penalty on 3rd and 2 could be blamed for 4 of those 25 points). The pick 6 I'm still not convinced it didn't hit the ground but the replays were terrible, though.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Just to add, even after giving up the lead on a the fumble and field goal, they got close enough to at least try for a game winning field goal and missed (albeit it was the rookie kicker and a 57 yard attempt where had the length but just missed).

Literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Ultimately the Elks were the better team most of the game (albeit against a lesser rider squad with many veteran staying home), but too many turnovers (4 fumbles and 1 INT) leading directly to 25 of the 28 Riders points gained off turnovers (though a defensive penalty on 3rd and 2 could be blamed for 4 of those 25 points). The pick 6 I'm still not convinced it didn't hit the ground but the replays were terrible, though.
I thought that bounced as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad