OT: CF Montréal: L'Ère de Courtoisie

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He most likely wants more than Piette. And the club is saying nein.

I understand why Choiniere has a chip on his shoulder though.

1) Dude was played everywhere except this natural position since the start of his career.
2) Watches Koné and Saliba being put directly into their positions while he had to tap dance to get opportunities.
3) Goes to ASG.
4) Still denied, the club don't wanna pay him.

This is a ridiculous post. You're a pro - nobody owes you anything - it's a business. Everyone copes with this everyday in their jobs. Furthermore, coaches select the starting 11, not the GM or owner. The fanbase has PTSD always looking to blame ownership.

But the most egregious thing is that he is under contract for 2024 and the team has an option for 2025. No one put a gun to his head to sign the deal. Why is he leaking this to the press when the team has done nothing wrong? I find Choiniere (or his agent) behavior reprehensible.

Reactions: Addik04 and HitHard

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
This is a ridiculous post. You're a pro - nobody owes you anything - it's a business. Everyone copes with this everyday in their jobs. Furthermore, coaches select the starting 11, not the GM or owner. The fanbase has PTSD always looking to blame ownership.

But the most egregious thing is that he is under contract for 2024 and the team has an option for 2025. No one put a gun to his head to sign the deal. Why is he leaking this to the press when the team has done nothing wrong? I find Choiniere (or his agent) behavior reprehensible.

You know what's ridiculous to me? Everytime I answer your posts, I feel like I'm answering to someone who started following the club two months ago.

Miljevic, Hamdi, Toye, Lassi...

We like to overpay for external talent instead of paying homegrown talent at full value when they deserve it. Choiniere doesn't owe CFMontrélol a discount on his next contract.

Same thing happened with Piette, but the media backlash was too big and the club had to concede. Remember that time when some people (here included) were freaking out over Piette's 400k? Now that 400k looks like a pretty fair deal, maybe a bargain for a starting #6 in this league. I bet you don't like to remember that either.

That said, we don't know what Choiniere is asking for, but knowing the history of this dogshit club, It's probably an ego thing. If Choiniere pulls a Nancy, then so be it, this club deserves nothing more.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
.. and homegrown

Unless he values himself as a 1M$ guy, just sign him to whatever he wants (with some limits still). Glassi and Toye both earn over 600k$, he should be earning about that.. or low TAM threshold.

Heck, we don't have DPs, just make him one.

:snide:
You see I don't understand that. He's head and shoulders a better player than those two. He's also a more valued player than those two glass figurines. If they're getting 600K, he should be earning more than that. Way more. A while back I was looking at the payrolls on MLS and Canadian players were criminally underpaid. It's not just Montreal.

Reactions: PhysicX

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I mean, if he really thinks he's got 1.4M waiting for him somewhere else, he'd be dumb not to go and get paid. I really doubt it, but godspeed if he does. I'd certainly pay him more than guys like Toye and Lappy, but that's a long way from 1.4M.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You know what's ridiculous to me? Everytime I answer your posts, I feel like I'm answering to someone who started following the club two months ago.

Miljevic, Hamdi, Toye, Lassi...

We like to overpay for external talent instead of paying homegrown talent at full value when they deserve it. Choiniere doesn't owe CFMontrélol a discount on his next contract.

Same thing happened with Piette, but the media backlash was too big and the club had to concede. Remember that time when some people (here included) were freaking out over Piette's 400k? Now that 400k looks like a pretty fair deal, maybe a bargain for a starting #6 in this league. I bet you don't like to remember that either.

That said, we don't know what Choiniere is asking for, but knowing the history of this dogshit club, It's probably an ego thing. If Choiniere pulls a Nancy, then so be it, this club deserves nothing more.

Again you go into your diatribe and don't address the issue. Choiniere is under contract until 2025 - tell me why is this such a hot topic issue for management. Could it be Choiniere is not happy with the contract HE SIGNED and is trying to maneuver his way out?

Every team in every sport has bad and good contracts, it's the nature of sports. That being said, this is clearly a play from Choiniere and his agent to get out of a contract they signed. Good luck with that.

Choiniere might realize quickly that maybe he got to where he is because he's a homegrown talent. I personally don't find him anything special - a good player - but nothing special.

Reactions: ArtPeur

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
He's an all-star though.

But for real, I wouldn't pay over 1M for him. I doubt he's asking that much.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
As truman said on the sick podcast yesterday, the timing is weird. The transfer window just closed, why is his agent leaking that info right now? The team doesn't want to trade Choinière and they have full control on him for the next 18 months. In soccer, players have a lot of say on where they go though and Renard has shown previously that he can find solutions for unhappy players (Miller, Kamara, etc.) I doubt Renard doesn't want to pay Mathieu, so it's probably Joey Saputo tightening the strings on the burse. Looks like it's over for him with IMFC. The good news is he has value around the league, and being a homegrown, he won't count against the cap for a USA team. Ideally you'd sell him internationally though.

It sucks because he's a prime example of what academy kids can aspire, he was the first to go through the whole system and succeed. But if we're honest, if he's asking for TAM level pay, which he probably deserves, that's not Moneyball-esque. You'd rather play cheaper players like Saliba and Zouhir than a much more expensive Choinière.

He's a great soldier, he has the right to get paid and I wish for him that he does. But ultimately that may not fit within the budget of the team. Bonne chance Mathieu :(

Reactions: Skip Bayless

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Thinking back on saturdays match, Vilsaint really put his physical and technical abilities to work the moment he got subbed in. His one on one acument alone puts him on such a different level from our other strikers. We really have something to develop there.

He just has to stay healthy. If he does, Toye is going to collect splints from the bench. Him and Saliba are the next two to be sold.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Is the team losing loads of money? Is the ownership in financial trouble?

Choiniere is being paid peanuts, yet consistently performs every game. Damn right he deserves a nice pay raise. And he'll get it elsewhere if Montreal keeps its wallet zipped.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Again you go into your diatribe and don't address the issue. Choiniere is under contract until 2025 - tell me why is this such a hot topic issue for management. Could it be Choiniere is not happy with the contract HE SIGNED and is trying to maneuver his way out?

Every team in every sport has bad and good contracts, it's the nature of sports. That being said, this is clearly a play from Choiniere and his agent to get out of a contract they signed. Good luck with that.

Choiniere might realize quickly that maybe he got to where he is because he's a homegrown talent. I personally don't find him anything special - a good player - but nothing special.

2025 is an option year, and CFMTL refuses to re-negociate.

If the org. wants to play that way, I have no issue, but don't act like a vierge offensé when players decide to GTFO.

This is not common practice in MLS. Teams normally sit down with the player and re-negociate the option year when the performance warrants it. Moreso when it's a homegrown talent, and even more when it comes to guys who bleed for the jersey like Choinière.

It's not Choinière's fault if Renard is overpaying for a bunch of jabronis. Play stupid games, win stupid prices. Assume the consequences.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Choiniere is being paid peanuts, yet consistently performs every game. Damn right he deserves a nice pay raise. And he'll get it elsewhere if Montreal keeps its wallet zipped.

He can get paid by removing some useless players

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
As truman said on the sick podcast yesterday, the timing is weird. The transfer window just closed, why is his agent leaking that info right now? The team doesn't want to trade Choinière and they have full control on him for the next 18 months. In soccer, players have a lot of say on where they go though and Renard has shown previously that he can find solutions for unhappy players (Miller, Kamara, etc.) I doubt Renard doesn't want to pay Mathieu, so it's probably Joey Saputo tightening the strings on the burse. Looks like it's over for him with IMFC. The good news is he has value around the league, and being a homegrown, he won't count against the cap for a USA team. Ideally you'd sell him internationally though.

It sucks because he's a prime example of what academy kids can aspire, he was the first to go through the whole system and succeed. But if we're honest, if he's asking for TAM level pay, which he probably deserves, that's not Moneyball-esque. You'd rather play cheaper players like Saliba and Zouhir than a much more expensive Choinière.

He's a great soldier, he has the right to get paid and I wish for him that he does. But ultimately that may not fit within the budget of the team. Bonne chance Mathieu :(

I agree with this assessment. I just think the option years will look foolish for players in the future. This contract structure and hardball philosophy will need to be re-considered by the club.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

Incredibly enough, despite all the season ticket sales, Gervais said they're still not in the green.

So the first leg really is at 11 a.m on a Tuesday. It is not a typo.

That's bush league

Reactions: PhysicX

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
In what world is Choiniere a TAM? Both Osorio and Roldan were starters on Cup winning teams at Choiniere's age so the comparison is way off and laughable. He barely gets called up in our weeakest position.

He's a good slightly above average utility MLS player, nothing more. If he asks for more than 650k he can leave. The fact his agent leaked this already, he's 100% Out of here.

I saw the game against Orlando, Duke laid a perfect dummy for Choiniere, he totally misread. That right there tells everything I should know.

That's the result of the fanbase stroking his ego and now he thinks he's Modric:facepalm:

Reactions: Habnot

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
CS St-Laurent will be playing TFC in the next round, they just beat Halifax from CPL

👀

• Love
Reactions: TRG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad