Canadian Junior Team - Strome/Reinhart

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I can't wait for this. This will be the first meaningful hockey of the season as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately since Russo wasn't invited to team USA, I might have to root for Canada and our boys this year.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
It's awesome that both Strome and Reinhart made the 2013 Canada WJC team.

Even though many WJC players become stars, there is little reported on those who don't become regulars in the NHL 5 years later.

Also there have been cases where a WJC players never play in the NHL, such as Angelo Esposito.

While making a WJC squad is a great accomplishment, that may be the last link to fame for a hockey player.

Often those who are cut from WJC become better NHL players than those who make it.

Last edited:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
It's awesome that both Strome and Reinhart made the 2013 Canada WJC team.

Even though many WJC players become stars, there is little reported on those who don't become regulars in the NHL 5 years later.

Also there have been cases where a WJC players never play in the NHL, such as Angelo Esposito.

While making a WJC squad is a great accomplishment, that may be the last link to fame for a hockey player.

Often those who are cut from WJC become better NHL players than those who make it.

What are you saying? That sometimes players can have great tournaments (like Esposito and Dimomenico - playing with Tavares) and not make the NHL, like Parenteau/Moulson? Or Byron Ritchie/Joel Vermin - also on career highs?

I see a pattern :)

Strome and Reinhart will be looked to be leaders on this team, even though there's some incredible talent on this CAN roster. I hope they can elevate their game and have a great two weeks, it'll be fun to watch hockey again - my favourite tournament.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I hope Strome has a strong showing and that The Big Griff plays a big shutdown role on defense..

Good luck to our boys.

Pokka as well

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...on+Efficient+Reinhart+cool/7697014/story.html
MacKinnon: ‘Efficient’ Reinhart one cool customer who impresses coaches
Oil Kings stay-at-home defenceman cracks Canada’s lineup with his unflappable demeanour

By John MacKinnon, Edmonton Journal December 14, 2012
CALGARY –The Hockey Canada brain trust uses words like “efficient†and “economical†about Griffin Reinhart, which is interesting, considering the Edmonton Oil Kings defenceman checks in at six-feet-four, 205 pounds.

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...on+Efficient+Reinhart+cool/7697014/story.html
MacKinnon: ‘Efficient’ Reinhart one cool customer who impresses coaches
Oil Kings stay-at-home defenceman cracks Canada’s lineup with his unflappable demeanour

By John MacKinnon, Edmonton Journal December 14, 2012
CALGARY –The Hockey Canada brain trust uses words like “efficient†and “economical†about Griffin Reinhart, which is interesting, considering the Edmonton Oil Kings defenceman checks in at six-feet-four, 205 pounds.

Good article, however, I would think most teams picking 4th overall are not looking for "efficient and economical" players. These type of players can probably be found in later rounds.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Good article, however, I would think most teams picking 4th overall are not looking for "efficient and economical" players. These type of players can probably be found in later rounds.

Some of Reinhart's scouting reports remind me of Kenny Jonsson( smart, efficient, steady). KJ was one of my all-time favorite Islanders. The guy did nothing except play at a high, steady level for yrs.

I'll take a Jonssonlike career from Reinhart.

from the same article:
It’s expected Reinhart will slot in as the club’s fifth defenceman, at least to start off with, but he’ll also log lots of minutes killing penalties for Canada, something he does superbly for the Oil Kings, who lead the WHL in that area.

“He’s a big body, he’s a shutdown guy,†said Kevin Prendergast, Hockey Canada’s head scout. “He’s not flashy or anything like that. He’s efficient, he gets the job done.â€

Along with highlight-reel players like Murphy and Rielly, you need a mix on a championship team, obviously. Not that Reinhart is a one-dimensional player. Far from it. He racked up 36 points for the Oil Kings in the 2011-12 season, although he’s below that pace this season.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I dont mind the Reinhart pick at #4

Hes a safe pick who at best become a true #1 defensman with a bomb from the point and at worst with his smarts, size, and stick skills be a #3,4,5 dman that can shutdown fowards.

Other guys like Rielly and Dumba are home run picks....If they reach thier potential they will be great but if they dont then Rielly becomes Marc-Aundre Bergereon with a bit better defense and Dumba becomes a tough player but a bottom pairing/ depth guy.

Not saying that these 2 will bust but Reinhart will be more likley to have a long NHL playing Career imo

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

That's why teams like Anaheim and Minnesota are drafting efficient, smart, safe defenseman like Hampus Lindholm and Jonas Brodin in the top ten right?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I dont mind the Reinhart pick at #4

Hes a safe pick who at best become a true #1 defensman with a bomb from the point and at worst with his smarts, size, and stick skills be a #3,4,5 dman that can shutdown fowards.

Other guys like Rielly and Dumba are home run picks....If they reach thier potential they will be great but if they dont then Rielly becomes Marc-Aundre Bergereon with a bit better defense and Dumba becomes a tough player but a bottom pairing/ depth guy.

Not saying that these 2 will bust but Reinhart will be more likley to have a long NHL playing Career imo

The key factor with Reinhart is that he has excellent hockey intelligence. His obvious physical traits stand out, but his IQ is what will prevent him from busting in the NHL. He's a bigger and probably more physical version of KJ IMO, I'd be ecstatic if he becomes that. While he is a #4 overall pick, it was in a draft often described as weak by the experts.

He just isn't sexy and so he'll often be overlooked a bit. I don't mind, I'll take Big Griff's substance over style on the blue line for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad