Can a high profile prospect refuse to play for the team that drafted them?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
No. After signing an ELC, you become a RFA at the end of it. You can sign a free agency offer sheet, but as a RFA, your team has the right to match it or receive draft compensation if they decline to match it.

To reach UFA eligibility, a player who has signed his ELC must play in the NHL for seven seasons or until age 27, whichever comes first. For players that play 10+ games in their age 18 season, this can be as early as age 25.

As noted, a drafted college player can play four years in the NCAA from age 18 after the draft, never signing a contract, and then become a UFA as early as 21. This loophole still exists but it would not be surprising if the league looked at closing it at some point. A CBA negotiation issue, of course.
The NHL isn’t going to change the NCAA “loophole”. The rule is there for a reason. It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

Teams have twice as long to sign a NCAA player as they do a player drafted out of jr. and both can become UFAs after 4 seasons. He difference is jr. players are eligible to be redrafted in the middle of that and you own the rights of that NCAA player the whole 4 years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's unconfirmed, but there was speculation about Owen Power not wanting to be with Buffalo (after now-LA's Cal Petersen and previous draft pick turned high-profile FA Jimmy Vesey left). Justin Schultz also refused to sign with his drafted team and signed with Edmonton I think?

In short it's not as crazy as you think, Mr. Bedar-- I mean, OP :sarcasm:.

Can we cite this post as the source of this information?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Let’s say an 18 year old kid “generational talent” decides he doesn’t want to play for the team that drafted him. Could he sign in Russia for 3 years for potentially more money and sign with whoever he wants at 21?

Random question

Why would the player's profile or 'generational talent' status make them any different than any other drafted player? The rules of the draft, CBA, etc. do not change based on a plaery's status.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Why would the player's profile or 'generational talent' status make them any different than any other drafted player? The rules of the draft, CBA, etc. do not change based on a plaery's status.
The players generational status doesn’t effect things but players can refuse to sign and the team drafting them will lose the rights to them after a period of time. The period of time changes depending on where the player was drafted from.

It’s all moot because if the player was generational and wouldn’t sign the team would trade him somewhere he would sign to recoup some of his value.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Gaud

May 11, 2017
He won’t do it because the money is too good but if I were Power I’d stay in Ann Arbor for two more years and then sign with whatever team I wanted after instead of wasting six or seven years rebuilding in Buffalo.

C'mon, you wouldnt do it for the money also ? :sarcasm:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
rl06RWMr3jLsB44eu2Fo9lSSCQu-6CewvWoRb67cuJE.jpg

Yes. Surprised it hasn't happened in a while though.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Let’s say an 18 year old kid “generational talent” decides he doesn’t want to play for the team that drafted him. Could he sign in Russia for 3 years for potentially more money and sign with whoever he wants at 21?

Random question

Read up on Eric Lindros.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Adam Fox was drafted by the Flames and traded to the Hurricanes and refused to play for either

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
A drafted player can refuse to report but the team
That drafted him will hold his rights until he’s about 26-27 years old...
i don't believe this is accurate,
to my understanding the UFA status tied to age only applies to players who have already played under at least 1 NHL contract. such as
- typical UFAs with established NHL careers (like Dougie Hamilton last summer),
- defected players (RFA who received QO but signed elsewhere, such as Europe - the QO lets prior team retain rights, but only until June 1 after player turns 27.
- Or, as seen with a few dozen guys every year, Group 6 UFAs - "age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games,"

Depends on where they are from. If a CHL player refuses to report to the team that drafted him, he would just re-enter the draft in 2 years. An NCAA kid become a UFA 4 years post draft.
to add to above,
- i believe a player drafted for a second time has his rights held for for 2 more years
- NCAA kids rights are retained until NCAA status is exhausted or renounced - this can be more than 4 years if player has non-playing year along the way**

8.6(b)(c)(d) seems to address this exact scenario? An 18 year old CHL player that leaves for a foreign league, for example, has his rights held for 4 years. The player would have to stay in the CHL to be eligible for re-entry.
this was new to me, thanks

demand a trade or go to US college and play all 4 years and become UFA ( NHL needs to fix this) ...

just my opinion, but the anxiety, and calling the post-NCAA path to UFA a "loophole," is way more smoke than fire
aside from Blake Wheeler, 14 years ago under a prior CBA,
none of the guys who've executed this process
were 1st round picks (usually pretty late, but yes Schultz was a 2d, Vesey a 3rd, but otherwise ...)
and none I can think of became essential players (guys who come to mind - Vesey, Schultz, Matt Benning, Kerfoot, Will Butcher, Cal Peterson)
a really good NCAA player typically signs before his final season on NCAA eligibility, or very soon after his NCAA season ends, and joins AHL or NHL team
and while the possibility exists for a kid drafted after freshman year at 18 to become UFA at 21, that is not typical
** to get to that August 15th after NCAA eligibility is exhausted, it is often not just 4, but 5, or even 6, years post-draft, with guys, along the way, playing USHL, having red-shirt seasons, sitting out seasons to transfer, etc

ADDED NOTE - 4 years is in-line with Junior players who 'defect' or get redrafted,
and with Euro players from countries/leagues covered by IIHF transfer rules (basically all buy KHL)
You Can see examples of this at CapFriendly, go to any team's CF page,
then click the 'Reserve List' button, to track rights expiration dates

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Random question
Eric Lindros, but he didn’t go to Russia.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Also Blake Wheeler didn’t sigh his ELC with AZ and then signed with Boston as a free agent

Blake Wheeler is the best match to the OP's question. He refused to sign with the team that drafted him, the Coyotes, and played in the West Coast league until Phoenix's rights expired. Then he picked his team as a UFA. Drafted in 2004, playing for a new team in 2008.

It's a risky move. You loose out on development time, and you risk a career ending injury before a real pay day. But Wheeler is one big example from recent history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad