Confirmed with Link: Calle Själin signed 2 year ELC

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Article is written by Johan Svensson, who's essentially a Swedish Bob McKenzie(so he's as credible as one can be).

Originally drafted 2017 in the 5th round by the Rangers, Själin, who will turn 23 just before next season starts, is an offensive defenseman with decent size. Needs to improve on his defensive game though.

Edit:

Made official:

2 year ELC.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Numbers look good in international play: I guess we might not be keeping Priskie and this guy will get the offensive zone starts in Charlotte?

Reactions: kerrabria

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
The Florida Panthers and bringing over random European defensemen for a year only to bench them for most of the season, name a more iconic duo :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sjalin, after being drafted by the Rangers, had some injury problems that I think stifled his development. He did improve year over year, but it was minimal. The last year in our system, was his first where he played full-time in the SHL and also where he remained healthy. He played 2nd/3rd pairing minutes. It was a good showing, but he looked more like a career Euro-league guy which is what I assumed he'd be. Obviously, the Rangers didn't sign him.

Last year he really took off offensively. That was never really his thing--he could move the puck around pretty decently but by no means was he a guy you would consider an offensive defenseman. A solid skater who excelled at making simple and safe plays at both ends. Given the increase in minutes he also really started firing the puck more, which resulted in a big increase in scoring.

I'm not sure he's more than a 4A guy or a decent #7, but he's definitely intriguing and there may be some untapped upside there. I wish him well with you all.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I always thought it was so weird how serviceable Bogdan Kiselevich was for us, yet we randomly benched him and traded him for nothing.

He wasn’t that good, no one has wanted him since, and likely wanted to just stay in Russia anyway

Unfortunate that Zito has had to spend so much time rebuilding the D because of how miserable we’ve been at drafting them over the years.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
He wasn’t that good, no one has wanted him since, and likely wanted to just stay in Russia anyway

Unfortunate that Zito has had to spend so much time rebuilding the D because of how miserable we’ve been at drafting them over the years.
We’ve stopped drafting them more like it. Outside the first round, there’s <30 percent chance for a second rounder to play at least 100 games

From 2009-2014, we drafted D four times and each is pacing for at least 10 year careers in the pros. We have not drafted since.

We spent four picks from 2010-2020 on D and we are batting league average there for 100 games. The problem is that we traded our only second rounder (Koly) since 2013 and that guy looks like he will be a major leaguer.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
These european signee DMAN always pan out so great for us. I have high hopes for this ;)

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
These european signee DMAN always pan out so great for us. I have high hopes for this ;)
Normally I'd agree but the Rangers are a good drafting team. Even some of their current "disappointments" like Karl Henriksson would be top 5 in our prospect pool. Even a late round pick like Matt Rempe who is currently dominating in the WHL Final for Seattle might be top 5 in our pool. The fact they didn't sign Sjalin isn't necessarily a red flag for me. If nyr2k2 is right and he's recently made a big growth in his game, we could have something here.

Reactions: harv33173

kuurus

Jul 22, 2022
Hello!

Im writing to you from Sweden. Im a big big fan of the club Leksand where Calle Själin played before he signed with Florida. Not much info about him have leaked out here in Sweden so my question to you guys is, will he stay in north america or will Florida make a loan deal with Leksand so he will play with us for another season? Anyone of you who know?

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Hello!

Im writing to you from Sweden. Im a big big fan of the club Leksand where Calle Själin played before he signed with Florida. Not much info about him have leaked out here in Sweden so my question to you guys is, will he stay in north america or will Florida make a loan deal with Leksand so he will play with us for another season? Anyone of you who know?
I doubt it they would loan him back to Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad