Prospect Info: C Noah Ostlund, 16th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft, Assigned to Rochester 4.17.24

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
At his best, Östlund is a dynamic, shifty playmaker who takes full advantage of the width of the ice to build passing sequences. A dextrous distributor with the full array of reach- adjusted passes and the keen eye to find options through traffic, he was the most prolific setup-man in the entire Swedish junior circuit. -EliteProspects 2022 NHL Draft Guide

Reactions: Club

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Dont like that They Waste their pick like this . Sabres have never develop really good Swedes ? Nylander rosen Larsson from trade lehner seems like a bad pick but hope it proves me wrong would rather just had Kemell

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
More from EP -

Where problems arise with Östlund's projection is in the way that he handles contact. He often struggled to sustain even the tamest physical play at the SHL level last season, spending entire games stapled to the perimeter of the offensive zone. It's kind of hard to score from there. The absence of a wall game, concerns about his pace, and the lack of any finishing skill all conspired to keep Östlund further down our board than many of our peers in the public sphere, but there's enough there elsewhere that we can certainly understand their enthusiasm.

Östlund's combination of speed, handling skill, playmaking, and defensive instincts could augur great things at the next level, but he'll need to gain a little muscle and a lot of courage with the puck to take full advantage of his skill set.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
He's also got an insanely high ceiling. If he really hits.........he's that playmaking center we've been lusting for.

High ceilings are the name of the game. We have a ton of young guys to fill out the lineup, but we need gamebreakers. There's risk to it, but rolling the dice is absolutely the right call in these drafts.

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
So sad when They could have had Kemell and improve their wing They have a bunch of c/f

They waste picks on swedes when They never have develop and good ones . Take best player

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Any player who is an actual 5'10" (have no idea if he is) is not short in my book. 5'10-5'11" is where a lot of the best players in the league are in actual height. Adding a lot of strength is what we all gotta wait to see, like many of the guys drafted last season.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Probably saw him more than any other player this year since I liked him so much since the 1st game I watched. I had Ostlund 8th on my list.

The playmaking is insane. Super high IQ. So much skill with his hands and creativity. Explosive skating. Excellent in transition. And not bad in his own end either.

The shooting needs work and adding some muscle but man this kid has insane upside.

He will take some time and might not take off next year (could be a similar to Rosen situation in that sense) but love that swing for a guy with true 1C upside

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Tallinder, Olofsson, Calle Johansson, Dahlin? Ullmark? This argument is stupid.
Its not stupid its true. No ullmark not good . Lehner bad Nylander bad rosen seem bad

Tallinder was a good d it was way back.

I dont have problem taking swedes in their correct draft spot like Olofsson so when They superise with some luck its good but you dont take a 26 pick player at 16 when you never had succes devolope any swedes. It waste of picks that will play 3-4 line in NHL

Just like taking grigorwnko or Girgensons waste that sets you back

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Its not stupid its true. No ullmark not good . Lehner bad Nylander bad rosen seem bad

Tallinder was a good d it was way back.

I dont have problem taking swedes in their correct draft spot like Olofsson so when They superise with some luck its good but you dont take a 26 pick player at 16 when you never had succes devolope any swedes. It waste of picks that will play 3-4 line in NHL

Just like taking grigorwnko or Girgensons waste that sets you back

You really think Olofsson would go in the 7th round if they did a redraft right now? The idea that we shouldn't pick players from a country because someone drafted by a previous GM or traded for 10 years ago didn't turn out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad