C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
This kid might fall out of the top 10, on which teams in the 15 to 25 range would he be the most coveted? I think a trade up for him as a potential top 5 talent might be interesting/warranted.
I think picks 15-18 are the best for for Catton. That's Detroit, St. Louis, Washington, and NY Islanders

Detroit is looking for a smart + highly skilled and projectable C or LW (if Catton is not a C at the next level that works great too).

St. Louis is in limbo a bit since they are trying to compete but missed the mark this year. Catton would be rising up on that team quickly and Snuggerud would be a great compliment to him in the future on that team.

Washington has space for Catton (cerebral, all-around puck skills) and he could be quite the centering piece to play with Leonard (high motor, physical, fast).

Islanders needs highly skilled players like Barzal and Catton gives them one who arguably shares the same ceiling.

Reactions: Buttonwood

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
I will be very surprised if Catton doesn't go in the top 10, let alone any later. He's significantly more skilled than any forward not named Celebrini or Demidov. Sure he's slight, but he's one of three forwards in this draft that have the talent to be a teams best offensive player.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He's clearly going to be the Benson of this years draft, NHL teams will wonder why they took the players they did ahead of him almost immediately, and then go into 2025 undervaluing a similar player only for the process to repeat itself.
Teams watch the Playoffs and then remember you need big forwards to win, then get to Draft and draft accordingly, then a season goes on and the little guy scores more than the big guys and people go "oh no, why draft big guy when little guy was there", and then watch next Playoffs and go "oh right" and cycle repeats.

Does that mean you're fist-bumping your Daniil But selection, not necessarily (maybe they are, idk) because the big guys are likely more "projects" but you give up some skill for that size if the size factor does end up hitting. Those have a lot of value in your Top 9 than necessarily just chasing skill, skill, skill.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Teams watch the Playoffs and then remember you need big forwards to win, then get to Draft and draft accordingly, then a season goes on and the little guy scores more than the big guys and people go "oh no, why draft big guy when little guy was there", and then watch next Playoffs and go "oh right" and cycle repeats.

Does that mean you're fist-bumping your Daniil But selection, not necessarily (maybe they are, idk) because the big guys are likely more "projects" but you give up some skill for that size if the size factor does end up hitting. Those have a lot of value in your Top 9 than necessarily just chasing skill, skill, skill.

There is a cycle.

But I don't think teams forget about what kind of players they want in their future contending stage. They set out their priorities in advance and largely stick to them.

And contra @WeThreeKings I don't think teams are surprised by how good Zach Benson is. I bet many of those clubs that passed on him thought he was a brilliant two-way player. But they looked at the size and thought it wasn't a priority for how they want to build their teams.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I think picks 15-18 are the best for for Catton. That's Detroit, St. Louis, Washington, and NY Islanders

Detroit is looking for a smart + highly skilled and projectable C or LW (if Catton is not a C at the next level that works great too).

St. Louis is in limbo a bit since they are trying to compete but missed the mark this year. Catton would be rising up on that team quickly and Snuggerud would be a great compliment to him in the future on that team.

Washington has space for Catton (cerebral, all-around puck skills) and he could be quite the centering piece to play with Leonard (high motor, physical, fast).

Islanders needs highly skilled players like Barzal and Catton gives them one who arguably shares the same ceiling.
Dvorsky is the best prospect on the blues and adding Catton wouldn’t change that

Reactions: Blueston

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
And contra @WeThreeKings I don't think teams are surprised by how good Zach Benson is. I bet many of those clubs that passed on him thought he was a brilliant two-way player. But they looked at the size and thought it wasn't a priority for how they want to build their teams.
I find draft discourse kind of funny. You'll see the free, independent scouting websites give evaluations that read like "everyone has this guy at third, but personally, I think this guy is not very good, he's inconsistent, bad compete level, skating is average not great, one-way player, ok but not amazing hands... anyways I have him rated 7th". Like huh, from all you said, I'm shocked anyone would draft that player before the 5th round, but there you go still thinking it's a very high end prospect to add to anyone's pool of young talent.

Ultimately we are hyper zoomed in on the universe of potential high draft picks. When someone is a 1st round pick it means they are a great prospect, when they are a top 15, potential top 10 pick, it means they are a GREAT prospect.

Of course we focus in on that hyper-zoomed picture, that makes for a more interesting discussion, but it leads to a false perception that the hyper zoomed 20 prospects everyone is talking about are the only ones in the universe so it becomes a whole lot hyperbole talking about differences in that group (what I call "guess the bust") and exaggerated claims that someone is being massively disrespected if they go a couple spots lower than maybe someone's personal list has them.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Trocheck has had a great playoffs. Patrick Kane was a notorious playoff guy. Garland was good last night. I think some guys can bring it and some guys can't.

Reactions: Napoli

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Trocheck has had a great playoffs. Patrick Kane was a notorious playoff guy. Garland was good last night. I think some guys can bring it and some guys can't.
The Blues don’t with the Cup without Jaden Schwartz. Led the 2019 team in goals that playoffs. Brayden Point was clutch for the Bolts. Plenty of smaller guys can make big contributions in the playoffs.

That said, there’s plenty that don’t too. Talent is great. Talent + size is better. I have Catton ranked quite high. But the size is a legit concern.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The Blues don’t with the Cup without Jaden Schwartz. Led the 2019 team in goals that playoffs. Brayden Point was clutch for the Bolts. Plenty of smaller guys can make big contributions in the playoffs.

That said, there’s plenty that don’t too. Talent is great. Talent + size is better. I have Catton ranked quite high. But the size is a legit concern.

Personally I don't think 5'11 175 lbs at 18ish years old is a concern.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Personally I don't think 5'11 175 lbs at 18ish years old is a concern.
I don’t either. But I also doubt that’s what he measures in at for the Combine. Brayden Yager measured in at 5’11” 170 lbs at the Combine last year. ASP was 5’11” 180 lbs. Catton just visually looks smaller than those two did a year ago to me.

Again, I absolutely believe in this prospect. In fact, I have him 3rd on my list. I know he’s not going to go remotely that high but his skill and hockey sense place him that high for me. But his size is the one concern for me. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he measures in at 5’11” 170 lbs at the Combine next month.

Reactions: Leto

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I would hope that he wouldn't make it past #13.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dvorsky is the best prospect on the blues and adding Catton wouldn’t change that
I think it would but there is little need for this type of speculation.

Catton should easily go in the top 10 and he should pass by San Jose who has their second top 15 pick at 14.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Wasn't Schwartz also the 2nd best defensive forward in the league in 2019. Actually if anything you can argue he was better that season than Stone.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Who won the Conn Smythe last year again...?

Reactions: viceroy and spfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad