• Maybe

• No

• Do Dogs Bark?

Results are only viewable after voting.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I'm also a fan of Franchise mode and this year they FINALLLLLLY fixed a problem that has been really annoying me the last 4 years, to the point where I would regularly post on their forums but only about that one issue... the issue:

If you are in Franchise mode in NHL 17, 18, 19... when you click to view a player's profile and switch over to their career stats... you could see their stats by year... but the game wouldn't show a running career total. It was massively annoying. The most annoying part is that the game kept this information because when a player retires just before the draft it shows their NHL career #'s.

I don't know why they insist on imposing bizarre restrictions on previous data saved... like in the Awards only showing back 5 seasons.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
For those interested, here is the scoop on Franchise Mode this year....

NHL 20 - CHEL Notes - Franchise Mode Deep Dive
That is nice and all. But I don't think that is worth the cash, unfortunately. If they continue to make incremental changes in NHL 21 I may pick up a copy then.

I appreciate the video! I hope they get rid of the finances/budgets for staff ie coaches/scouts. At least offer us an out on that front.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I only play Chel when I'm drunk and for this reason I will probably end up buying it since I am drunk a lot. But, tell me this, will they continue making roster updates to NHL 19? Or do you have to make your own roster changes to show the new player movement?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Firmly in the maybe category.

There are some interesting additions, like coaches, though it feels somewhat incomplete.

As a Rangers fan, there's a lot of young talent that's joined the organization over the last 18 months, and so it would be nice to have them in-game.

Sep 19, 2008
I've been bitching about same old EA and I haven't brought Chel in 2 years but this one looks like a significant step forward. I may buy it but on sale. Heck, I may even buy it next week if I'm persuaded enough.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I only play Chel when I'm drunk and for this reason I will probably end up buying it since I am drunk a lot. But, tell me this, will they continue making roster updates to NHL 19? Or do you have to make your own roster changes to show the new player movement?
The last roster update is always in April, and then the game is forgotten by EA in preparation for the next release in September. So no, there will not be anything further for 19.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Bought it since I end up playing EASHL a lot as the go to shooting the shit game.

Its probably the only game I buy nowadays. Pretty sure the last game I bought that wasn't NHL was Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and that was only to play the remastered Cod 4

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Bought it yesterday for SEK 750 (approx USD 78) and it's almost the same game as NHL 18. I've been playing HUT offline and there has been some minor changes there, but you pretty much pay for the roster updates. EA are scammers.

Reactions: Nordiques1979

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
If you're looking for roster update, new jerseys, some real faces, well yes buy it.

If you're looking for real improvement, no.

I'm not one of those complaining for years on EA about the quality on the NHL franchise. I bought each edition each year, enjoying it for what it worth, having fun honestly, but this time I have the feeling to be robbed big time. No real improvement, no real changes, worse, what it's sold as an improvement is a major let down for me.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
They usually find a way to suck me in each year. I finally decided "nope, I'm waiting this year and they put Austin on cover lol. I played. The trial and liked the franchise stuff. I'm buying it but not at 90 cad. I just can't anymore with ea. I want it right now but I'm sticking to my guns this time and will get it when it's 39 or 49

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
If you're looking for roster update, new jerseys, some real faces, well yes buy it.

If you're looking for real improvement, no.

I'm not one of those complaining for years on EA about the quality on the NHL franchise. I bought each edition each year, enjoying it for what it worth, having fun honestly, but this time I have the feeling to be robbed big time. No real improvement, no real changes, worse, what it's sold as an improvement is a major let down for me.

The gameplay itself has obviously changed with the fluidity, the skating, the shooting. Its not perfect, but it's not half as bad as all the complainers are saying.

It's hard to take the complainers seriously, when you go on the internet and all people can say is, "fix your game" and not even giving actual analysis why they hate the game. A lot of people do it because it's now "the thing to do" against EA.

EA NHL players are some of the worst in video games. Negative, miserable people. I'm not saying it's any of you guys, because there is actual intelligent conversation here, but most articles I read every year.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I bought NHL 19 for like $12.79 CDN close to the end of May. I will probably hold off until May/June again since I don't want to spend 50 dollars for roster update.

I have enjoyed NHL 19 for the past couple of months

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The gameplay itself has obviously changed with the fluidity, the skating, the shooting. Its not perfect, but it's not half as bad as all the complainers are saying.

It's hard to take the complainers seriously, when you go on the internet and all people can say is, "fix your game" and not even giving actual analysis why they hate the game. A lot of people do it because it's now "the thing to do" against EA.

EA NHL players are some of the worst in video games. Negative, miserable people. I'm not saying it's any of you guys, because there is actual intelligent conversation here, but most articles I read every year.

And EA deserves all of that and more.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

To be fair it’s the only ea game that doesn’t have current in game stats (we only see last years stats), the commentators never talk about what’s going on right now in the hockey world like how we see in Madden and 2k. This is the only ea game that has yet to upgrade its graphics since year one. The only ea game without frostbite engine and hdr. It’s actually far far far behind all the other sports games. They made strides with nhl 19 and the whole chel thing as well as gameplay updates but overall it has not been a good game. The ai is slightly better than in years past but still a ways off from you would see position wise in a real nhl game. It’s safe to say NHL this gen has been without a doubt the worst of the sports games and without a doubt the most neglected.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Guess you're new to gaming?

This literally happens with every gaming community - NHL, FIFA, CoD, Battlefield, Apex Legends, F1, Football Manager, and even Cities bloody Skylines.

Many of the "complainers" criticisms are valid though.

How many years have we had this adaptation of franchise mode, with virtually no improvement or innovation? They've given us a "Coaching System" that doesn't actually influence anything - it's an irrelevant mini-game within the mode.

Owner mode is still a shambles that everyone turns off. Fog of War is still a mess that everyone turns off. You still can't specifically train players to improve individual stats or attributes. Player growth and dynamic potential is completely random and how much you play / don't play a prospect doesn't matter. Player roles don't matter.

The AI teams still aren't capable of managing their cap properly - a massive issue this year with all the key RFAs still unsigned. There's no forward planning (Winnipeg and Tampa will spend to the cap, ignoring the fact that Point, Connor, and Laine are all due for big extensions). Negotiating doesn't really exist when negotiating with your players.

And ALL of that is just off the top of my head - I'm sure there's a ton more issues with Franchise mode, and this doesn't even start getting into the issues with the gameplay.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Are you absolutely kidding me here? People have been talking non-stop about the reasons they are not happy with the game. Literally everyone is explaining what the issues are and have been for some time. How on earth did you reach this conclusion?

Reactions: nilssont

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Rammer just sucks. That's all there is to it. He is a trash producer/developer. Or maybe he's a decent developer, but can't handle being the sole lead of the product. Whichever it is, he needs to be removed.

I remember some guy named Gurn Sumal doing the interviews during NHL's peak (NHL09-13). Wonder if he is still with the company. Seems unlikely from his linkedin. Updates ironically stop after NHL14.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/gurn-sumal-b1572746/?originalSubdomain=ca

Anyone that has worked with a crappy tech lead/project manager in the real word knows that person can completely destroy a product. I've always wondered if that's what happened to the NHL series.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Is this game worth buying? I've bought every game since 2010 (aswell as a few before) but I don't play video games as much now as I used too.

I'm generally a franchise mode guy, I know this year they have made good additions, how much better is the franchise mode?

I appreciated the 'fog of war' last year, but eventually turned it off because its stupid that it would completely reset every year. If you've scouted someone that report should always carry over. I don't have the time for it.

Head coach & line chemistry being added, its another thing I'm worried will be very time consuming. As someone who loves NBA 2k (tho I buy it less than NHL) I do like the scouting changes made in NHL 20 (atleast from what I've read).

The big selling point for me is the legends teams, thats the one reason I'm even considering buying it right now. I think it would be alot of fun to have the legends players in the game & try adding them to even a season or tournament mode (or franchise if possible). Without the legends, this would be an easy pass for the first time in a decade.

$80 is too much for a game, especially EA NHL, but I usually buy the new game & enjoy the feeling of a fresh game with some changes. I'm thinking wait till it goes to $50-60. But what do people think? Is this game good or same crap with some fringe updates?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad