Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills - Week 9: Bills (5-2) @ Jaguars (1-6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
This Oline issue isn’t a one year thing. This line was trash last year as well and a big reason why we didn’t have a consistent run game. They did nothing in the offseason to address it, and did nothing at the deadline.

Beane and this coaching staff need to be serious about this, and not just stick with the guys here because of loyalty thoughts.

Daboll is back to his below average play calling he was known for prior to last season.

These performances the past 3 games are not good enough. They will not get out of the 1st round playing like this.

How did we not see this last year? Beane resigned the entire offensive line over the summer...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Reminded me of the Pitt game. It's like they refuse to admit when the OL is getting whooped. No moving pockets or rollouts, just drop back and watch Allen have 2 dudes in his face or be unable to step up on nearly every pass
Reminded me of the Tyrod Taylor era.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Who is worse on their respective team, Will Butcher or Cody Ford?

Hope the Bills at least try Bates at guard next week if Brown and Feliciano are still out. Can't trot this group out again and expect anything to go well.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
How did we not see this last year? Beane resigned the entire offensive line over the summer...
Guys like Daryl Williams and Jon Feliciano, who had career years last year, regressed back to their career mediocre or worse level of play. I think Knox being out also hurts in a lot of ways, as Sweeney just looks completely out of his element in all facets of the positions, especially as a blocker.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Was that the biggest upset loss of the McDermott era? I think the Bills were 14 point favorites.

Such a disappointing loss.

With that loss the Bills went from still having a chance at the #1 seed to being very close to a dog fight just to make the playoffs.

They’re still ok for now but they really need to make sure they win the division. New England is only 1/2 a game back and they’re getting better every week. If the Bills don’t win the division, getting a wild card spot could potentially become complicated, depending on how the rest of the season goes in the AFC (obviously).

Bills currently hold the #4 spot in the AFC but there are a whole bunch of AFC teams currently 5-3 or 5-4 nipping at their heels.

Raiders
Chargers
Broncos
Chiefs
Patriots
Browns
Bengals

Then a couple of 4-5 teams (Colts and Steelers, who beat us already).

The margin for error is getting small. Buffalo really can’t afford to drop too many more games. Those 2 games against New England are going to be absolutely crucial. The way both teams are playing right now I think we’ll be lucky to split the 2 games against NE.

The Bills need to figure out whatever is wrong with this team + offense, and in a hurry. Despite being one of the higher scoring offenses in the NFL they’ve kind of been a bit “off” all season and the struggles only seem to be getting worse.

Daboll’s play calling has been questionable at best. The o line has been a huge weakness. The run game has been an issue once again. And now, For some reason Diggs and Beasley seem to be much less of a focus on offense vs. last season. I’d love to see both get involved more.

Josh Allen needs to play more consistent as well. Don’t get me wrong, he’s FAR from their biggest issue. Overall he’s playing well. There’s times where he plays at an MVP level, but there’s also been a bit too much of the pre-2020 Josh Allen mixed in for my liking. I’d like to see the MVP Josh Allen more consistently.

Another thing that I think Allen still needs work on at times is the mental aspect of his game. Ever since his rookie season there are games where he gets flustered/rattled and then just can’t seem to snap out of it. He’s definitely improved in that aspect (especially last season) but it seems to be popping up a bit more again this season. Today was one of those days. You could see it all over his face, especially when he was on the sideline. He looked almost dejected at times. He wasn’t his normal self. He has to find a way to snap out of it quicker during the game.
I know it’s coming from a good place. He’s so extremely competitive and wants to win so badly. But he has to find a way to use those emotions to his advantage more. I’m not worried about him long term or anything. I think he’ll be fine. But I do think it’s something he still has to work on (and he’s said it himself so I think he’s aware of it).

I still think the Bills will be ok.
This wouldn’t be the first time under McDermott where the Bills had a stretch of games where they struggled, then snapped out of it and finished the season strong.

Hopefully this game will end up being another one of those turning points. This should have humbled them. If what Micah Hyde said about them thinking it would be an easy win and not showing up today, then maybe they needed to be humbled. I don’t know if they were reading too many of their own press clippings after that win against Kansas City or what. But they have to realize they haven’t done **** yet.

anyway... rant over. lol

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
You're not going to win many games with 22 yards rushing, 2 INT, 1 Fumble, and 12 penalties for 118 yards...

Perfect Take.

If we accept we will get 120 in penalties a game as our golf handicap and Josh doesn't turn the ball over ww win most games..

The sky is not falling.. If we lose TWICE to bellicheat then get worried.. Top two seeds in play after the 8th game.. amazing..

Take any team lightly .. this is a result..

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
In terms of a larger trend, I hope this game and this season as a whole get McBeane to re-evaluate how they assess offensive and defensive line prospects/pro players or makes them consider grabbing new coaches for those positions. The vast majority of their moves along the trenches have been underwhelming, and getting mediocre at best play out of three recent second round picks between Ford, Epenesa, and Basham is a huge problem. Hell, Ford looks like he doesn't belong in the NFL, Epenesa hasn't done much of anything, and Basham looks to be following in his path of doing jack **** for most of his rookie season.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I'm 0-14 now in Sabres and Bills game. I count the Canes game where Staal beat us in OT years ago as one of those losses. I think I just need to quit going to games. The Cleveland game in 09 or whenever where Bills fans rained beers on me and tore the hood ornament off my dad's shitty jaguar (simply because it was a Carolina plate) should have been enough.

f*** Bills Mafia.

They were nothing but dipshits the entire game and they were picking fights with the gracious Jaguars fans the entire time. If we as a fanbase want to start rooting out the wrong with this team outside of the players, it has to begin with the stupid contingency. I have been through too many games where I just wanted to go and have a beer and eat some nachos and those DIPSHITS appear.

Love the Bills, but f*** those Barstool-loving, wannabe viral shit heads who claim Bills Mafia. We have too many fans to associate with that behavior. They were trying to start fights the entire time I was walking back and it's a pathetic look. All they want is to get on TikTok and be famous.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
You're not going to win many games with 22 yards rushing, 2 INT, 1 Fumble, and 12 penalties for 118 yards...
the turnovers are bad yes, but the jags were getting every call, some of which weren’t even penalties. in the 4th the refs ‘missed’ like 4 or 5 obvious false starts on the jags that kept their drive alive. i think on the game winning fg drive the jags only had line 25 yards gained by actual plays. the rest were penalties. and on their previous fg drive they called a PI on wallace that was not even close to PI. i’m not trying to get all conspiratorial here, but over the last 3 or 4 seasons some the officiating his gotten egregiously bad and you can tell they are trying to influence the outcomes of games a la nhl ‘game management’. i’m not even talking exclusively about bills games. i see it literally every week in multiple games

turnovers yes, very bad, definitely were a big part of the loss. but the refs… they made it as difficult as possible to get anything going offensively and on d they would flag us for bs

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
the turnovers are bad yes, but the jags were getting every call, some of which weren’t even penalties. in the 4th the refs ‘missed’ like 4 or 5 obvious false starts on the jags that kept their drive alive. i think on the game winning fg drive the jags only had line 25 yards gained by actual plays. the rest were penalties. and on their previous fg drive they called a PI on wallace that was not even close to PI. i’m not trying to get all conspiratorial here, but over the last 3 or 4 seasons some the officiating his gotten egregiously bad and you can tell they are trying to influence the outcomes of games a la nhl ‘game management’. i’m not even talking exclusively about bills games. i see it literally every week in multiple games

turnovers yes, very bad, definitely were a big part of the loss. but the refs… they made it as difficult as possible to get anything going offensively and on d they would flag us for bs

Stop it. Blaming the refs is the thing that loser teams do. We had a bunch of penalties but we earned 75 percent of them. AJ Klein hits a guy well after the play is over. Gonna be a penalty. Some layman on the OL can't stop Josh Allen (the better one today). Gonna be a penalty. Hyde admits he made a penalty. (Gonna be a penalty).

We lost because we were so badly outcoached that we should have left Daboll in Jax. Blaming it on the refs is such a 2011 Bills fan move.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

The O-line is a major concern now. We need to hope that shifting Williams inside and Brown taking RT does the trick. If not- we're in deep doo-doo. They did seem to play some of their best football when Brown took over at RT.

Either way, they need to figure it out for the Jets game because their interior d line is better than the Jags.

Reactions: EichHart

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
In terms of a larger trend, I hope this game and this season as a whole get McBeane to re-evaluate how they assess offensive and defensive line prospects/pro players or makes them consider grabbing new coaches for those positions. The vast majority of their moves along the trenches have been underwhelming, and getting mediocre at best play out of three recent second round picks between Ford, Epenesa, and Basham is a huge problem. Hell, Ford looks like he doesn't belong in the NFL, Epenesa hasn't done much of anything, and Basham looks to be following in his path of doing jack **** for most of his rookie season.

I don't see why you're lumping Epenesa and Basham with Ford. The defensive unit has been strong all year. The results from this year are super encouraging. I think having strong depth has helped that, and definitely improving their ability to generate pressure has helped.

The offense has failed through stretches and if that is Cody Ford's fault then I hope they address it.

Certainly Ford seems to have been a disappointment, but I think throwing in Epenesa and Basham is probably something you already thought of those picks, because both have been developing quite well, so nothing about their play seems to indicate some big flaw in the Bills drafting.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don't see why you're lumping Epenesa and Basham with Ford. The defensive unit has been strong all year. The results from this year are super encouraging. I think having strong depth has helped that, and definitely improving their ability to generate pressure has helped.

The offense has failed through stretches and if that is Cody Ford's fault then I hope they address it.

Certainly Ford seems to have been a disappointment, but I think throwing in Epenesa and Basham is probably something you already thought of those picks, because both have been developing quite well, so nothing about their play seems to indicate some big flaw in the Bills drafting.

Epenesa has been fine, now that I think about it, but Basham can barely get on the field--although that could be a coaching decision problem more than his play.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I complained about interior line play all offseason, lost my mind during the draft when we took Basham over Humphrey, and was not happy seeing them bring the same mediocre group back.

Me watching yesterday:

ron-swanson-notamused-unamused-unsatisfied-poker-face-gif-3431929.gif

Maybe JW can suggest trading for another skill position weapon, I'm sure that's still the answer to our problems

Reactions: JLewyB and EichHart

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Sounds like they thought they could stroll their way through this game. Glad they got their shit rocked. Hopefully it wakes them up.

yeah, I sure hope they learn from this.
I don’t know who these players think they are or what they think they’ve accomplished, but they haven’t done **** yet and they are nowhere near good enough to not come out and give full effort.

You’d think they would have learned from how much they struggled against a 1-6 Miami team just a week prior but I guess not.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I complained about interior line play all offseason, lost my mind during the draft when we took Basham over Humphrey, and was not happy seeing them bring the same mediocre group back.

Me watching yesterday:

ron-swanson-notamused-unamused-unsatisfied-poker-face-gif-3431929.gif

Maybe JW can suggest trading for another skill position weapon, I'm sure that's still the answer to our problems
This should brighten your day:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad