Bruins Centennial Bruins’ Captain History

Who is the greatest all time Bruins Captain?

• Patrice Bergeron

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Zdeno Chara

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Joe Thornton

• Jason Allison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ray Bourque

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Rick Middleton

• Terry O’Reilly

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Wayne Cashman

• Johnny Bucyk

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Leo Boivin

• Don McKenney

• Fern Flaman

• Fred Sanford

• Milt Schmidt

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Jack Crawford

• Bobby Bauer

• Bill Cowley

• Dit Clapper

• Coney Weiland

• Red Beattie

• Eddie Shore

• Nels Stewart

• Lionel Hitchman

• Marty Barry

• George Owen

• Sprague Cleghorn

• Total voters
With it being the Centennial season and while we’re waiting on the announcement of who’ll be the next captain. I put together a list of all captains through franchise history. I do realize there is six uncredited captains from the 1930s and 1940s but without available sources I didn’t include them in this piece. Who is goes down as the greatest ever for you and why?

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
In the 9 , so far, in my lifetime I go with Chara. Not only did he bring leadership as they all did , but he actually changed the culture. No ‘rookies’. Only one language in the room.

He also led not only by example, again as with all, but also with words.

My best example was during his rookie year. Marchand was chirping the Caps from the bench. Off the rails. Chara stood up leaned over and you could lip read perfectly. “ sit down and shut the f*** up”.

well, that was that.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Chara single handedly made the bruins a thing again, not just a winner but also a thing that kids are into again. The latest crop of great players being drafted from Massachusetts was his doing, what he helped build here. biggest UFA signing ever (literally and figuratively).

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
So many of the Bs captains over the past 100 were great players but weren't actually captains for very long. Z was captain for 14 years, second most to Bourque. Z changed the culture, set a standard that I think is still with the organization, was a model citizen, mentored who knows how many young players, and delivered big time as a player, including a Cup win. To do what he did at such a high level for so long is incredible.

Bucyk would be my second choice. Even though the Bs went without an official captain between Bucyk's stints with the C (1968-1973), look at who skated with the Cup first in both those Cup seasons. Bucyk was the unofficial captain for sure. Honestly anyone who votes for Bucyk over Chara will get no argument from me. Z and the Chief were both awesome leaders.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I don't know, sounds like we could use somebody jut like him on this D:

Henry William Sprague "Peg" Cleghorn (March 11, 1890 – July 12, 1956) was a Canadian professional ice hockey player from Westmount, Quebec who played 17 professional seasons between 1911 and 1929 for the Renfrew Creamery Kings and Montreal Wanderers in the National Hockey Association (NHA) and the Ottawa Senators, Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins in the National Hockey League (NHL). He was a member of three Stanley Cup championship teams, winning with the Senators in 1920 and 1921 as well as with the Canadiens in 1924. His brother Odie was also a professional player and the two played several seasons together.

A tough and physical defenceman, Cleghorn had a reputation for violent play; he was twice charged with assault following on-ice incidents and was subject to efforts to have him banned from the NHL. His reputation made him an effective defender, and he used his offensive skill to become one of hockey's first offensive defencemen. At the time of his retirement, Cleghorn's 169 career goals were second most in professional hockey history by a defenceman, behind Harry Cameron's 173. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1958.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003

Centennial season with no top C and 2C, Garden ice still the same,...and now Marshmont the captain...
And we''re off...................

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
On a side note, I was watching a game from the 1992 playoffs on youtube yesterday and Ray Bourque was out injured and they actually had the C sewn onto Dave Poulin's chest.

I seem to recall a couple times from my childhood in the mid-90s where they'd do that and put the C on someone else's chest when Bourque was hurt. Somewhere along the line they stopped doing that though.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Dave Poulin.jpg

Dave Poulin isn't officially recognized as a captain, but he wore the C briefly while Bourque was injured.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Been some great captains over the years. Schmidt, O'Reilly and Bourque gets the "A" but in this case it's Zdeno Chara who gets the "C".
Head coach: Harry Sinden and GM: Art Ross. Marvelous job
Bruins is one the best teams in NHL history. 20 finals not bad and top three winning records

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad