Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i'd trade anyone if it made the team better now and in the future but i'd love to know what people think we'll get for Marner especially since he has a nmc and if he does waive it might only be for 2/3 teams if that

also why do people not think we'll have to overpay to attract any of the better ufa's so even if we don't want to re-sign him and he walks chances are we'll just be overpaying whichever ufa we do sign

Last edited:
Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Do you understand regular season hockey is different than playoff hockey?

Again, we're back to Dubas being perfect and we only lost again and again.... and again.... and again.... because of bad luck.

O'Reilly, Acciari, Schenn, Lafferty..... Adding snot is so dumb....

You just did the thing in the blurb above...

When most people predicted Dubas' failures, hindsight doesn't help.

So are we using hindsight or not?

The roster was a mess.... because we went all in with a pile of UFA rentals.

That's a lot.... especially when you add in the other 1st and 2nd we spent on a #4/5 defenseman and a 4th line winger.

We didn't have the cap space to sign them and fill out the roster.

Which internal guys were added to last year's play-off roster?

Nick Robertson, who scored 0 points in 6 play-off games this year.
Pontus Holmberg, who scored 0 points in 7 play-off games this year.
Bobby McMann, who was injured and played 0 play-off games.

16.5 million in cap space isn't much when you need to sign so many significant positions.

We lucked into having Murray's contract off the books all year.

Yeah, we're swimming in assets.....
I know it's very tempting to correct so many blatant mistakes and obviously ridiculous spins, but the only effect of responding to him is more of the same, or worse.

For the sake of all of us, please don't feed the troll.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
without removing anyone we have 1g 4d 10f for 15 players , that's including Holmberg and Timmins , so we need 7 players to get to a 22 man roster not 5 like you keep saying

and your intent wasn't just to go with who played but to try to pretend like with have an exorbitant amount of cap space to sign whoever we like so you can go back and shit on Tre when he doesn't acquire 4/5 all stars to fill out our roster

but feel free to crap on the entire Leaf mgmt for as long as you like because that won't bring that worthless piece of crap ex GM who's already burying the Pens with his putrid moves

20 players is a playable roster... not every team has a 22 man roster.

Not sure what your other incoherent rambling is about.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
20 players is a playable roster... not every team has a 22 man roster.

Not sure what your other incoherent rambling is about.
now your down to a 20 man roster that only capped out teams go with as well as counting either Timmins and Holmberg in the starting lineup to try to defend your position , lol

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He's got his two best players signed for four and eight years respectively, and it would have to be a massively bad trade for Marner to make the team 'toast'.
They’re pretty much toast right now and I feel like Treliving has it in him to disappoint.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He's really perfected the art of posting the most smooth brained shit ever that keeps roping people into responding.
I wouldn’t give him that much credit.

Everything eventually devolves is into context and arguing semantics.

It’s old, deliberate, predictable, stale, and stupid. He’s not even very good at it.

The sooner people stop engaging the better this forum will be.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Certainly not optimum, but considering his play, overpayment, and NMC, it's possible that 'nothing but cap space' is the best we can do, and still better than re-signing him if he wants too much.

I hope we can get more, but I can see the possibility of not.
If they spend the 11 million on old guys playing out their careers?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We spent ~15 million on Bertuzzi, Samsanov, Reaves, Kampf, and Klingberg.

They spent cap last year, just poorly.

He has a tough job, but he hasn't found value outside of Domi last year, he had a lot of misses.

However badly you think the team is assembled because of a past GM, the current GM is still not finding any value, and we need that.

There is another 20 million to spend this year, hopefully, it will be spent better.
This is a bit of a Treliving hallmark, and one that worries me given the newfound cap space he's about to walk into, and potentially even more space if a hypothetical Marner deal is completed.

I just don't trust this front office to get it right, because their track record in the past has suggested that they don't usually get it right.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is a bit of a Treliving hallmark, and one that worries me given the newfound cap space he's about to walk into, and potentially even more space if a hypothetical Marner deal is completed.

I just don't trust this front office to get it right, because their track record in the past has suggested that they don't usually get it right.
I’ll be shocked if they actually end up with a legit #1D that is still in his prime.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
now your done to a 20 man roster that only capped out teams go with as well as counting either Timmins and Holmberg in the starting lineup to try to defend your position , lol
They’ll ice a team, that’s about as close to a guarantee as there is, the challenge is trying to ice a competitive team that can win a couple of rounds. How do they find a couple of Max Domi types with desire and a low AAV that can carry Matthews in the playoffs?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
They’ll ice a team, that’s about as close to a guarantee as there is, the challenge is trying to ice a competitive team that can win a couple of rounds. How do they find a couple of Max Domi types with desire and a low AAV that can carry Matthews in the playoffs?
the much greater challenge is finding someone to carry Johnny Mumbles in the playoffs and regular season

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
i'd trade anyone if it made the team better now and in the future but i'd love to know what people think we'll get for Marner especially since he has a nmc and if he does waive it might only be for 2/3 teams if that

also why do people not think we'll have to overpay to attract any of the better ufa's so even if we don't want to re-sign him and he walks chances are we'll just be overpaying whichever ufa we do sign
They don’t need to replace Marner with another $12M forward. They can get two top four dmen or one and a second line centre for that money that will make them a better team.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I’ll be shocked if they actually end up with a legit #1D that is still in his prime.
Of course we all would because they’re hard to get. The problem is they play Rielly as if he is one and he’s at best second pair on a cup contender. It’s going to be defense by committee until they draft one.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You add to Reilly not remove him
You want Rielly not to be your #1 dman, in which case the better dman you add most likely carries a higher cap hit. If they allocate their cap properly, they might be able to fit in both under the cap. If not, you move on from Rielly before he starts declining harder.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You take Rielly’s $7.5M and use it for a dman who can defend, is physical and can quarterback the PP. Give me Montour all day long.
Rielly has to be on the table.

Montour is UFA and likely won’t sign in Toronto unless it’s an overpay, and I wonder if he will he be the same player in two or three years?

Find a couple of 27 yo Montours.

Reactions: ToneDog

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
now your down to a 20 man roster that only capped out teams go with as well as counting either Timmins and Holmberg in the starting lineup to try to defend your position , lol

I also counted Reaves and both of those guys are more likely than him playing.

Colorado ran 20 guys for multiple years and they turned out fine, I am sure the Leafs can if needed.

Is there a huge benefit to being able to sit guys in the pressbox?

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
he'll be irrelevant when he's off the team , right now he's the biggest issue we have
Marner is as good as gone. If they can move Tavares, they should but I doubt they will. I see one more year of pain for you and many Leafs fans. They need to come up with a new "Plan" because the Shanaplan is a failure. Be great if they do not miss a beat but I expect them to take a small step back next year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Of course we all would because they’re hard to get. The problem is they play Rielly as if he is one and he’s at best second pair on a cup contender. It’s going to be defense by committee until they draft one.
Abandoning the rebuild at the quarter pole has been the issue for 8 yrs. They may never overcome the mismanagement and wasting of assets just to ice a cap compliant team.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Who was the last true #1 dman this team drafted and developed? That tells you just how incompetent this organization has been since 1967. GMs like Imlach 2, Stellick, Floyd Smith, Mike Smith, JFJ, Fetch 2, Burke, Nonis and Dubas is GOLD when it comes to incompetence.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
he'll be irrelevant when he's off the team , right now he's the biggest issue we have
If they can trade him, great, but can they fill any holes if they do? They need third and fourth line players and draft picks and they can always eat 50% of his AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad