Baldur's Gate 3

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
You all will definitely have to give some impressions for those of us on the fence. I really want to make the purchase ... but if it's going to be in EA for a full year before the rest of the game comes out .... that's a LONG time.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I'm upgrading my PC just for this game. This looks like a better version of DOS2, which I loved.

I'm really hoping this is basically DOS:III but with a much more mature (and interesting) Forgotten Realms story and WAY less environmental hazards/combat.

Reactions: JBeast

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Anyone tried it out yet? I bought it but won't have time to dig in for at least a few days.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Man, Baldur's Gate was a game I had heard about a long time back but never got around to playing.

Baldur's Gate has found it's way into the archives by now but back then, for a lot of us, it was absolutely amazing.

True open world is by today's standards a cliche but when BG came out it was pretty mind blowing.

I know games like Daggerfall tried to push the open world envelope but they relied a lot on random generation. BG offered a fully formed open world to explore.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I'm so pumped after watching some of those early access gameplay videos. This game looks like the love child of DOS2 and DAO.

Move over BioWare, Larian has taken over your spot...

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Mass Effect spiritual successor next please. Would be perfect for a CRPG with squads.

Since Larian is heavily DnD based, my best case scenario would be them somehow scoring a deal with EA/Disney to produce a new Knights of the Old Republic....

But as a massive Mass Effect fan, I like your suggestion as well.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Mass Effect spiritual successor next please. Would be perfect for a CRPG with squads.

Disclaimer that I've never played the Mass Effect games, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is put together. 'CRPG' generally refers to the type of PC RPG's from the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. By the time you get to Mass Effect you're looking at a big budget console game. A big reason why you get so many 'spiritual successors' to old CRPG's is because they're mostly dead properties that you can kick start off fan enthusiasm and build on low-med size budgets. Mass Effect would certainly have the fan enthusiasm but making a 'spiritual successor' would be a massive undertaking, and besides Bioware is still kicking around. This is a series that had it's run from 2007-2017, so I don't know what news there is but I'm sure there's another one in development.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Disclaimer that I've never played the Mass Effect games, but I'm having a hard time seeing how this is put together. 'CRPG' generally refers to the type of PC RPG's from the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. By the time you get to Mass Effect you're looking at a big budget console game. A big reason why you get so many 'spiritual successors' to old CRPG's is because they're mostly dead properties that you can kick start off fan enthusiasm and build on low-med size budgets. Mass Effect would certainly have the fan enthusiasm but making a 'spiritual successor' would be a massive undertaking, and besides Bioware is still kicking around. This is a series that had it's run from 2007-2017, so I don't know what news there is but I'm sure there's another one in development.

I was thinking of a more modern CRPG like Divinity Sin 2 , Socom, or Wasteland 3. If there is a different term for those type of games IDK it. CRPG was the first term to come to mind.

BioWare is dead to me. They would mess up a remaster of the original trilogy knowing them. You should skip the first Mass Effect and just use the short Comic DLC to hit the main plot points and choices, it aged like piss. Mass Effect 2 and 3 or worth a playthrough before Cyberpunk gets out. :) 60-80 hours to get through both.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
If story is important to you in your games ME1 has a brilliant narrative.

I don't think ME 2 even has a main plot. Its just some dumb stuff about "collectors" to provide a reason for getting a team together.

Reactions: JBeast

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If story is important to you in your games ME1 has a brilliant narrative.

I don't think ME 2 even has a main plot. Its just some dumb stuff about "collectors" to provide a reason for getting a team together.

ME is technologically clunky but the plot and storyline is great and it’s a good introduction to the universe and the concepts of the trilogy.

It’s a big investment so I can understand people skipping it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Ew. Please stop talking about Mass Effect in a thread about one of the pinnacle series of hardcore RPGs. You're triggering me.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't buy early access game, but can't wait for this.

Baldur's Gate 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Finally got to sink my teeth into it a bit today. I had a series of skill checks and passed a half dozen in a row, including some higher ones like a 14. I was beginning to wonder if they juiced the numbers at the start of the game to give the player some cheap wins, then I had to roll at least 2 on a skill check and rolled a 1. Love it.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
For anyone who's played it how much actual game is there? Being early access and still apparently a year away and all.

The first act, which is apparently ~25 hours. There are only 6 classes at the moment though which you could either look at as an incomplete roster, or reason to replay the first act again on release (or whenever they are added) once there are more classes (and possibly races/items/skill trees/whatever).

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
For anyone who's played it how much actual game is there? Being early access and still apparently a year away and all.

About the same same length as the Fort Joy section of Divinty Sin 2. Very rough game though, I’m holding off for a few months to pick it up again.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Yep, watched the first ten minutes of the livestream and it was D:OS3, with nothing that I saw to link it to Baldurs Gate stylistically, gameplay, or storywise. I was super hyped for this, now its just a big fat meh.

I take it all back. Been watching a couple of Lets Plays of the Early Access and it looks amazing.

Won't be buying it yet as I'm up to my eyeballs in studying till 2022. Hopefully it'll be out on console by then...

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
For those thinking about early access you can get a pretty good discount by purchasing through the Russian GOG store. Its listed for 1999 rubles, or around 25 USD. Cyberpunk 2077 is also listed for this price.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Larian is firmly in my "buy when launch" - category. Very few others are. I can't wait for this game to release.

Reactions: Andrei79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad