Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Tomas Tatar to 1-year, $1.5M deal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That is probably the most realistic submarine movie ever made. I'm not talking about the realism of the sub, I'm talking about the characters. Every single character on that boat was combination of like 2 or 3 people that were actually on my boat. The zoinked out sonar man, the electrician constantly shocking himself, the practical jokes were tame compared to the real thing but there were obviously not going for X-Rated. :laugh:

Sounds like every team in anything high level and stressful, and pranks are code for hazing right?

What about the guy that acts super gay, but is not actually gay? I once seen a guy climb into a O2's bed naked and dry hump him to wake him up to roll out.

He's married now, like 10 years, and it's not a dude.

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This is my favourite part of HFAvs. When you click on a thread and it’s an interesting discussion but has nothing to do with the alleged subject matter
I'm an avid bookworm. I actually have a pretty large vocabulary, but grew up in rural Texas and still talk like it when I get tired.

I love it when the discussions here turn into grammar and entomology. That stuff fascinates me and I learn so much from so many. Especially from folks who are ESL students.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I'm an avid bookworm. I actually have a pretty large vocabulary, but grew up in rural Texas and still talk like it when I get tired.

I love it when the discussions here turn into grammar and entomology. That stuff fascinates me and I learn so much from so many. Especially from folks who are ESL students.
I too love learning about grammar and insects all in one discussion

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sounds like every team in anything high level and stressful, and pranks are code for hazing right?

What about the guy that acts super gay, but is not actually gay? I once seen a guy climb into a O2's bed naked and dry hump him to wake him up to roll out.

He's married now, like 10 years, and it's not a dude.
Yes. There was some hazing while I was in. Some of it included a certain amount of pain. They've since eliminated most of that. In fact by the time I was getting out most of the "rituals" or "rites of passage" had become voluntary and rather tame compared to what it was like in the beginning.

My favorite prank though was nothing to do with hazing. We were in dry-dock doing a refueling overhaul. Typical business phone systems. Everything on the shipyards had a four-digit phone number. You just had to dial their extensions. You had to dial 9 however to get an outside line. There was this reator techician that was a complete jackass. Nobody liked him much. So a couple of guys in M-Div (nuclear trained machinist mates) that were on duty told him that he missed a call from the eletrical shop and he needed to call them back at x9911.

Long story short, he hung up on the emergency dispatch for Portsmouth, NH. Who immediately freaked out because they got a 911 call from a submarine on the base. They immediately called and were put back to the engine room where I was on watch and answered the phone. I spent the next five minutes assuring the dispatch operator that there was no emergency and that if there was the crew was perfectly capable of handling it ourselves.

f***ers made me doing a lot of political tap-dancing to keep that from becoming an issue, but it was guys in my division. If I had a problem with a guy, I'd settle it on my own, not by allowing the command to get involved. You want to correct folks behavior without making them lose their job, get demoted or disqualified (unless they are dangerous). If they're just an ass, you "try to show them a better way." This wasn't the right way, but it was so damn funny I had to protect everyone involved.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yes. There was some hazing while I was in. Some of it included a certain amount of pain. They've since eliminated most of that. In fact by the time I was getting out most of the "rituals" or "rites of passage" had become voluntary and rather tame compared to what it was like in the beginning.

My favorite prank though was nothing to do with hazing. We were in dry-dock doing a refueling overhaul. Typical business phone systems. Everything on the shipyards had a four-digit phone number. You just had to dial their extensions. You had to dial 9 however to get an outside line. There was this reator techician that was a complete jackass. Nobody liked him much. So a couple of guys in M-Div (nuclear trained machinist mates) that were on duty told him that he missed a call from the eletrical shop and he needed to call them back at x9911.

Long story short, he hung up on the emergency dispatch for Portsmouth, NH. Who immediately freaked out because they got a 911 call from a submarine on the base. They immediately called and were put back to the engine room where I was on watch and answered the phone. I spent the next five minutes assuring the dispatch operator that there was no emergency and that if there was the crew was perfectly capable of handling it ourselves.

f***ers made me doing a lot of political tap-dancing to keep that from becoming an issue, but it was guys in my division. If I had a problem with a guy, I'd settle it on my own, not by allowing the command to get involved. You want to correct folks behavior without making them lose their job, get demoted or disqualified (unless they are dangerous). If they're just an ass, you "try to show them a better way." This wasn't the right way, but it was so damn funny I had to protect everyone involved.

That's pretty good, and yeah, you never go to paperwork unless you have to.

Now that I've worked in Emergency Medicine, and had to do rotations in dispatch (not my thing lol), I'm probably more likely to tell people, you called for that? Click 😆

That shouldn't of been a big deal. They get stupid shit all the time.

Who knows how it is now in the Military, but towards the end (2011) the amount of work leaders were willing to actually do was pathetic unfortunately.

By the way, Tartar has 3 points..

When the f*** did those happen? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, I was SOOOOO disappointed that was called back :help: that said, I just feel it in my bones we are going to witness many, MANY more special moments on the ice between the two (and Colton).

I was never worried about it being Drouin with Mack or bust personally. That's all I'll say.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I hate that we have to have a video replay slowed down to super-slow mo and requiring 4K resolution to determine these things after the fact. The technology is here and is actually on the ice and in use for other things (puck speed, player speed, shot locations, etc). If the league wants to police things to the nth degree, they should just adopt the tech and blow all plays dead the nano-second offsides occurs.

Would also be easy as hell to go to automatic icing calls based on puck and player tracking as well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I hate that we have to have a video replay slowed down to super-slow mo and requiring 4K resolution to determine these things after the fact. The technology is here and is actually on the ice and in use for other things (puck speed, player speed, shot locations, etc). If the league wants to police things to the nth degree, they should just adopt the tech and blow all plays dead the nano-second offsides occurs.

Would also be easy as hell to go to automatic icing calls based on puck and player tracking as well.

I really wish they'd just go back to judgment call offsides, unless another official saw it was egregious.

Taking away goals over millimeters like Drouin/Wood's goal is just such a bummer and not in the spirit of the rule designed to prevent cherry picking in the O zone.

The Duchene play was an anomaly. For every play like that there's like 100 goals called off over an inch offsides that didn't really give the team an advantage, or have an impact on the goal being scored.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I really wish they'd just go back to judgment call offsides, unless another official saw it was egregious.

Taking away goals over millimeters like Drouin/Wood's goal is just such a bummer and not in the spirit of the rule designed to prevent cherry picking in the O zone.

The Duchene play was an anomaly. For every play like that there's like 100 goals called off over an inch offsides that didn't really give the team an advantage, or have an impact on the goal being scored.
I'd probably be fine with that as well. But then again, I'm on team get rid of offsides all-together. If a team wants to put themselves down a man by cherry-picking, let them.

Markster

Oct 13, 2019
They literally clicked, there is just this stupid ability to review and repeal Nats ass offsides lol.
Did they? Literally?

snapping.gif

L

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'd probably be fine with that as well. But then again, I'm on team get rid of offsides all-together. If a team wants to put themselves down a man by cherry-picking, let them.
The problem with that though is at least one defender will start staying back to cover the cherry-picker which will make the defenders less active on offense. Can you imagine one or two defenders having to stay back in their own zone while the puck is in the O-zone. That would be really boring hockey for them.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Nah, that would be awful.

In case you're wondering what the actual best sub movie is, I'd say hands down it was Wolfgang Petersen's 1981 Das Boot.
You find yourself rooting for the Nazies by the end of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad