Avs Cap Space

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Thought this would be an interesting discussion. As it stood before any collective bargaining agreement:-

Salary Cap: 70,200,000
Avs Rostered Players: 22
Avs Salary: 54,058,333
Bonuses: 2,860,000
Cap Space: 16,141,667
Source: http://capgeek.com/
Roster:

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - BLANK - Downie
Hejduk - Duchene - Parenteau
Mcleod - Mitchell - Kobasew
(Olver)
Zanon - Johnson
Wilson - O'Brien
O'Byrne - Hejda
(Hunwick, Barrie)
Varlamov Giguere

According to: http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/01/06/nhl-lockout-awake/12107/

- $64.3 million cap in 2013-14, which is $4.3 million more than the league’s last, best offer, changing the above to.

Salary Cap: 64,300,000
Avs Rostered Players: 22
Avs Salary: 54,058,333
Bonuses: 2,860,000
Cap Space: 7,381,667
Source: http://capgeek.com/
Roster:

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - BLANK - Downie
Hejduk - Duchene - Parenteau
Mcleod - Mitchell - Kobasew
(Olver)
Zanon - Johnson
Wilson - O'Brien
O'Byrne - Hejda
(Hunwick, Barrie)
Varlamov Giguere

According to http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...ucoYX4hYwcvDotVR_Zcig&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dGY we must have a 23 man roster at a minimum, so another player must be added to our roster.

Contingencies to consider:-
+ Ryan O'Reilly must be re-signed
+ We may get cap relief at the end of this season with
1. Hejduk possibly retiring
2. Kobasew's contract finishes
3. O'Byrne's contract finishes

Question, with the above in mind, what would people's strategies be going forward around the building of our roster? I also think the cap will increase progressively by at least CPI.

Holyhell

'Crumblers'
Apr 12, 2007
I think they could definitely stand to lose a dman before July 1st. I would like to see Barrie in there for his play in the AHL. He could be one of the few guys on the team that is in mid-season form and has the tools to be an NHL dman. One of Hejda, O'Byrne, or O'Brien could go, Wilson too.

Freedom Elz

Mar 27, 2008
Wharryville, Idaho
The Avs frugal ways over the past few seasons seems to have paid off. Figure on O'Reilley getting 3-4 million and the Avs land somewhere around 58 million. 2013-14 will see the expiration of the Kobasew, Hejduk and O'byrne contracts, most likely all 3 won't be back, clearing another 5 million in cap space.

That leaves the Avs 10-11 million for upgrades next season.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Perhaps those Jerome Iginla 'rumors' will finally kick in and Iggy will join the avs for a few seasons to replace Hejduk as the vet with experience on the roster? Calgary may finally have to part ways with him unless they make some other deep cuts. Seems a logical fit for the Avs since he could perhaps be signed to a 2-3 year deal, thus freeing up cap space and/or making him tradable by the time the Avs young core starts to really reach for big money.

Beyond that, I suspect the Avs will attempt to shed at least one vet D man + O'Byrne (unless he has a major breakout year) and add a top 2-3 D man with some experience and reputation. There also may be a need to get another vet goalie to backup Varly depending on how Giggy plays and the young guys progress.

Another possibility is that the Avs head into this seasons trade deadline in the middle of the pack....take a risk and add a guy like Corey Perry if the Ducks decide to unload one of the big contracts...then try as hard to get a upgrade on D...and roll the dice on a Cup in the short season...the flip side to that is if they struggle, there is likely to be a huge desire/willingness to overpay at the deadline because there may be teams super willing to risk it big to win right now to draw fans back in and/or because they need to do it right now for cap/age/ufa reasons.

I think the Avs have just about as good of a shot as anyone due to the fact that this is largly a returning roster with chemistry, they are young, and several key cogs have been playing in Europe or other leagues and playing well....Varly and Duchene come to mind... and of course Lando, Stastny, and a few others. Most of the Avs AHL depth has also been getting some quality ice time and had a good chunk of time to grow.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Beyond that, I suspect the Avs will attempt to shed at least one vet D man + O'Byrne (unless he has a major breakout year) and add a top 2-3 D man with some experience and reputation. There also may be a need to get another vet goalie to backup Varly depending on how Giggy plays and the young guys progress.
Giggy signed a contract extension this summer, so I doubt they're looking anywhere for a goalie.

Get O'Reilly signed and try to move a defenseman to get Barrie in the lineup. Those are the only moves I'd make, at this point at least.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Assuming we sign Oreilly to somewhere around 4.5M and let Kobasew, Obyrne, and Hejduk walk, that'll put us probably in the 55-57M range for the offseason, and around 7-9M in space to sign free agents.

#1 target if he's available has to Edler, exactly what we need a good 2 way Top pairing Dman to play with EJ.

If Edler isn't available, I don't really think we should sign anyone else. Our Forwards are pretty set at this point, and we don't need anymore Defenseman unless its a true Top pairing Dman.

We need to keep the cap space we have until we can get a Top Dman, then we'd be set for the most part.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The real question though is if the Avs will feel the need/desire to buy anyone out at the end of the season?

There may not be a cap reason for it...but there could be a level of play reason.

Hunwick could be if he falls off the map again. Giguere may also be a buyout canadate if he starts to look old. Zanon might be on the list if he does not secure a roster spot...maybe a handful of others.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Assuming we sign Oreilly to somewhere around 4.5M and let Kobasew, Obyrne, and Hejduk walk, that'll put us probably in the 55-57M range for the offseason, and around 7-9M in space to sign free agents.

#1 target if he's available has to Edler, exactly what we need a good 2 way Top pairing Dman to play with EJ.

If Edler isn't available, I don't really think we should sign anyone else. Our Forwards are pretty set at this point, and we don't need anymore Defenseman unless its a true Top pairing Dman.

We need to keep the cap space we have until we can get a Top Dman, then we'd be set for the most part.

Unless you sign a top tier UFA forward and then trade one of the existing forwards for that D man. I could see any of Jones, McGinn, or Downie being involved in a package trade for a D man or even Stastny, O'Reilly, or Duchene depending on the quality of the guy being brought in.

For example, the Avs sign Ryan Getzlaf this sumer on the UFA market. Maybe you then trade Stastny to Toronto for Gardiner, Frattin, and a pick and/or prospect... Or you trade Stastny for Jack Johnson. Just for a few examples.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The real question though is if the Avs will feel the need/desire to buy anyone out at the end of the season?

There may not be a cap reason for it...but there could be a level of play reason.

Hunwick could be if he falls off the map again. Giguere may also be a buyout canadate if he starts to look old. Zanon might be on the list if he does not secure a roster spot...maybe a handful of others.

I think your possible buyouts would be Jones (dependent on his performance this year), Hedja, Wilson or O'Brien

Qurpiz

Nudes in profile
Nov 5, 2006
So we're not going to see any signings or trades until the CBA is ratified by both sides?

How long until we'll be back in business? Next weekend?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Unless you sign a top tier UFA forward and then trade one of the existing forwards for that D man. I could see any of Jones, McGinn, or Downie being involved in a package trade for a D man or even Stastny, O'Reilly, or Duchene depending on the quality of the guy being brought in.

For example, the Avs sign Ryan Getzlaf this sumer on the UFA market. Maybe you then trade Stastny to Toronto for Gardiner, Frattin, and a pick and/or prospect... Or you trade Stastny for Jack Johnson. Just for a few examples.

Maybe but I don't see us moving Downie or McGinn to be honest. Management seamed pretty high on them and we only just traded for them last season. If we did sign Getzlaf I could for sure see us moving Stastny though.

Stastny + Prospect for Yandle or something if we signed a big name forward.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Training camps starting Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, depending on whether the season ends up at 48 or 50 games, according to TSN.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I think your possible buyouts would be Jones (dependent on his performance this year), Hedja, Wilson or O'Brien
I doubt Wilson and O'Brien are bought out.

My guesses are Hejda cause he gets old and Jones and Parenteau if they don't produce for $4mil.

Don't really see anyone else unless they badly need some capspace/really desperate playing Barrie/Elliott/Gaunce/Siemens (then O'Brien, Zanon, Wilson, Hunwick come into the picture if they really suck).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So we're not going to see any signings or trades until the CBA is ratified by both sides?

How long until we'll be back in business? Next weekend?

Since NHLs proposals have been in CBA form, a lot of the paperwork should be done. But the players lawyers need to read through it all and then have a vote. Perhaps 3-4 days until the CBA is in place.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I would be shocked if we do not have a CBA by Tuesday morning, and if they are smart they will have it signed Monday so they can continue to dominate at least the Canadian news cycle and maybe get a few plugs in the US market.

What would be better than a few trades, signings, and other moves to talk about on Tuesday and Wed, non-football days. You open it up to trades Tuesday, hoping to spark a few moves....announce the sched Wed, getting some buzz....allow teams to start camp Wed, with mandatory camp attendance starting Thursday, allowing players 3 days to get home and settled in if needed....host pre-season "games" (2 per team, 1 road 1 home) over Friday, Sat, Sunday that are free to attend, season ticket holders getting first dibs, with wall to wall NHL network coverage and maybe one game on NBCsports. Take Monday off for camps, media scrums, and other fan outreach events in each market, then start the season with every team playing twice over Tuesday, Wed, and Thursday, with super reduced ticket prices to assure full houses everywhere for the first 2 games, with prime matchups and NBC + NHL network coverage wall to wall...again taking advantage of non-football days to launch the season. All based on maximizing revenue and a 50 game sched.

You also do your best to make sure the first two games of the season are played against rivals, perhaps even doing home and home over the first 3 days, Pens v. Caps, Rangers v. Philly, Avs v. Wings, Oilers v. Flames, Stars v. Wild, Kings v. Ducks, ext ext... Then launch into the full 48 game sched with a normal breakdown of Divisional and Conference games that has been widely discussed. Yeah, some teams will get easier matchups than others... but there has to be some marketing here.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Reports now saying camps will start Friday at the earliest.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Then is probably means that the NHL will go with a season of 48 games , insted of 50 ? :huh:

From the fiscal point of view, the 50 game makes sense....but from a quality of hockey and matchup/sched related view, the 48 makes more sense.

In the end, the hockey will probably be better with a bit more time to get ready for those first games.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't think Barrie is going to get called up this year. Sherman is going to try to sell high on one of our depth defenseman like Hunwick, O'Byrne, etc. At least I hope so, but if not it's not a huge deal. I'd rather see Barrie playing those important minutes on LE as opposed to the safe protected bottom 6 minutes on the Avs. Last year it was obvious he and Elliot both weren't ready for the jump yet, and this is coming from a huge Barrie supporter.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I don't think Barrie is going to get called up this year. Sherman is going to try to sell high on one of our depth defenseman like Hunwick, O'Byrne, etc. At least I hope so, but if not it's not a huge deal. I'd rather see Barrie playing those important minutes on LE as opposed to the safe protected bottom 6 minutes on the Avs. Last year it was obvious he and Elliot both weren't ready for the jump yet, and this is coming from a huge Barrie supporter.

I am also a huge Barrie supporter, and I agree with you to an extent. With the shortened season we will be looking to win games and win them fast, so I see us going with an experienced roster. However, if Hunwick is unable to fulfill a puck moving roll, that leaves us with only EJ (and Wilson, sort of) that are able to move the puck effectively from the back end. Pair Barrie with someone like Hejda or Zanon, and hopefully he will be successful as PMD is the most glaring omission in our lineup right now.

I just hope he forces his way onto the team in camp, so we can trade one of our other d-men for prospects/picks.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

From listening to Bob MacKenzie, it would appear the Ottawa Senators are going to be in the market for a defenseman since Cowen is going to be out for a while.

I wouldn't mind getting something for Hunwick, even if it's only a draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad