Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 1, Avs lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I don’t even think the Jets have been a proper warm up for the Avs for the next round. I anticipate Dallas or Vegas will be giving them a much more challenging time.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
you don't get out-scored ~2 to 1, brutal special teams, & out-shot by over 10 SOGs per game and the blame lies on one person. this is a collective failure.

Pionk, Stanley, who decides on these Dmen being iced? Pionk has been so shit last few months yet is routinely one of our most used Dmen. Logan Stanley is a penalty magnet + our PK sucks. great combo! the grand changes is AJF and Schmidt in.... a 4th line fwd and 3rd pair D, like bottom o f the barrel changes. no shit nothing really improved. our typical key regular season difference-makers have not played upto their regular season standards either.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
you don't get out-scored ~2 to 1, brutal special teams, & out-shot by over 10 SOGs per game and the blame lies on one person. this is a collective failure.

Pionk, Stanley, who decides on these Dmen being iced? Pionk has been so shit last few months yet is routinely one of our most used Dmen. Logan Stanley is a penalty magnet + our PK sucks. great combo! the grand changes is AJF and Schmidt in.... a 4th line fwd and 3rd pair D, like bottom o f the barrel changes. no shit nothing really improved. our typical key regular season difference-makers have not played upto their regular season standards either.
the crazy thing is that most coaches are scared to lose their jobs to these overpaid millionaires (because the coach always goes first). But in bones situation, he's retiring, like wtf does he care about upsetting neil pionk? Pionk, appleton, and ehlers should have been press boxed at certain points. broissoit should have played at least game 3...but somehow the inmates still managed to run the asylum even with a coach who didnt need job security.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

So Miller and Capobianco would change this series?

Avs have 3 superstars not including Landeskog and Nicushkin.....we have none.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
the crazy thing is that most coaches are scared to lose their jobs to these overpaid millionaires (because the coach always goes first). But in bones situation, he's retiring, like wtf does he care about upsetting neil pionk? Pionk, appleton, and ehlers should have been press boxed at certain points. broissoit should have played at least game 3...but somehow the inmates still managed to run the asylum even with a coach who didnt need job security.

I think the inmates run the asylum on every team.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So Miller and Capobianco would change this series?

Avs have 3 superstars not including Landeskog and Nicushkin.....we have none.
no idea. miller has barely played here and capo has not played NHL games all year. they need more changes than a 4th line Fwd or 3rd pair D. Pionk (top-4D) has been trash most of the year or even seasons here. Ehlers & the entire 2nd line have been MIA, and i don't think Helle has been as sharp as the regular season (ofc team in front of him needs to help). this is a collective defeat.

they're terrible at getting the puck out of the zone. from my view, the Jets can't defend the Avs speed or zone-entries (the Avs are hitting on 80% of their stretch passes) and committing penalties along w/ a brutal PK. i have also found offensively the Jets can barely sustain offense (imo the Avs move the puck out proficiently so lot of 1-and-dones), and idk how many rush chances or opportunities the Jets have been tracked but overall have not found them creative enough offensively. dump and chase while the Avs have an elite puck-moving back-end and guys that can really skate does not work imo.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It definitely is on some of those players but to be fair we've tried for the exact same type of old school coach each time. Maybe they need to shift their coaching philosophy because for better or for worse we are stuck with this core for another half a decade.

This is an issue for sure.

Several pundits who cover the Jets even incidentally, and Murat who covers them exclusively, have wondered if the rigid adherence to Top 6/ checking / energy is actually an organizational imperative, not a coaching choice.

If so, then as you and others have pointed out, we're drafting for skill and IQ with a handful of spots to plug them into, instead of moving towards rolling 4 lines that blend skill, speed and other attributes (forechecking, puck retrieval, transition, speed, shot, etc). At times this year we've been close, but the default is always the default.

And the tactics are always the tactics. Chip n' chase, rim round the boards (though look at our D corps) cycle cycle cycle looking for the opening, PP get 'er back to the point, etc). When 55 says "We don't make adjustments," despite him being part of the problem, he's right.

With this core and the assets it spent on, and the season-long record, this team should have been able to, at the very least, play the Avs close in a 6 or 7 game series, and at best win it. Maybe they'll come out strong tomorrow and hang on for a win -- but even then few believe they'll carry that over.

At some point, the NHL playoffs are gruelling, and teams need their best selves to make it through round by round. With the Jets, for too long now, it's like all the worst parts of the team's game leak out instead.

Bones is many good things, but he is not the coach to solve these issues. Sitting Miller, a vet RHD brought in for the playoffs, for all but a few games, exposing Samberg on his offside -- why? Bringing in AJF, who hasn't been a Jets regular for most of the season, on a prayer -- why? Insisting on playing Pionk for 20 mins a game, despite the chaos he causes, and the penalties he takes, for the entire effing season -- why? Refusing to slot in your 19 goal scorer with strong defensive metrics, when you're leaking goals and can't seem to buy one -- why?

He's an intuitive coach. As Murat writes, "Bowness has said many times that he coaches by feel, trusting his gut, and that he’s happier to lose coaching his way than changing his approach to the game."

Not sure his gut is making the right moves atm.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Did you not make the point in the other thread that saying "just play their game" was overly simplistic because it removes the other team from the equation and the other team might not let them play their game?
So.. I'm not sure if you watched at all, but they did make adjustments

For example, after game 2 they started skating the puck out of their end instead of flipping it out and turning it over. If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that. Since you seem to have my posts memorized, you probably recall me lamenting their zone exits in games 1 and 2 and then noticing they were doing a better job of them after the adjustment was made in game 3.

As for what further adjustments they can make, I'm curious what you think they should be. Common sense says that if you want to neutralize a team that builds speed through the neutral zone, you should probably use a version of a 1-2-2 forecheck, but that's not the Jets game

Reactions: Orrrules

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That's nuts.

The Bowness Plan to Win Series and Influence Players:

“Well, first thing is you have to stay out of the penalty box and then the penalty kill has to do their job. Second thing is we have to stop turning the puck over. Again, those things are self-inflicted,” Bowness said.

“You want adjustments? Stay out of the box. Manage the puck better and go from there.”

I'm starting to develop hives every time I hear "puck management."

Though he's def right about "self-inflicted."

Reactions: surixon

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
At times like these, I wished the WHL didn't shove out the Winnipeg Ice, as both of True North's in-house hockey clubs are perennial one-round flops.

(although the Wenatchee Wild did bow out early this season, maybe those wholesale changes coaching and management was a bit unwise, especially with that whole Kevin Constantine mess)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
In game adjustments include not taking penalties and managing the puck better. Sounds like both of those relate to coaching. They're taking penalties because they're trying to defend. They're mismanaging the puck because Colorado is very disruptive on their forecheck. There are no adjustments.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I hate to think that you need top 3 picks to contend. But the facts are the facts.
Neither Laine nor Dubois were enough. I guess you need the right top 3 pick?

I'm as disappointed as anyone at the way things are going lately, but I actually think the Jets are on the right track. Bring in a new coach, trade some expiring contracts, let some UFAs walk and inject some youth. Hopefully we can score a home run on some later picks/prospects to augment our core. We're not that far off in my opinion.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
So.. I'm not sure if you watched at all, but they did make adjustments

For example, after game 2 they started skating the puck out of their end instead of flipping it out and turning it over. If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that. Since you seem to have my posts memorized, you probably recall me lamenting their zone exits in games 1 and 2 and then noticing they were doing a better job of them after the adjustment was made in game 3.

As for what further adjustments they can make, I'm curious what you think they should be. Common sense says that if you want to neutralize a team that builds speed through the neutral zone, you should probably use a version of a 1-2-2 forecheck, but that's not the Jets game

My memory isn't that great...but it wasn't long ago we had the conversation so...:laugh:

I don't have any real answers here. I mean it's perplexing to say the least. But it's possible the reason the Jets aren't playing the game like they used to is because teams have them figured out - in which case it becomes the job of the coaches to respond with some new strategies. If they can't do so, well we are where we are.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think playing Perfetti would help him understand playoff intensity which would help him next season

Agree.

But he might, God forbid, make a mistake. And then where we be?

Expect to see him Tuesday. Maybe Apples sits for Toffoli.

I do think Barron's speed + crash and bang might have helped, but even at peak he's not a series changer atm.

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad