Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 1, Avs lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Coach vs Players

This season, when the players played the way the coach wanted them to, they won. A lot.

Get away from the gameplan and they lose

It's hard for coaches to "make adjustments" when the players haven't even committed to playing the original way the coach asked them to

As for why the team has deviated from the style of play that broght them success, I have no idea

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
How do you plan on changing the flawed core. They are all locked in for 5 to 7 years. We are stuck with them.
The changes should have begun long ago. There are moves the can be made I'm sure of that. This is a disaster of their own making by refusing to make changes that have been obviously needed for a long time.

And they're going to roll this @#$& show back again next year.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Coach vs Players

This season, when the players played the way the coach wanted them to, they won. A lot.

It's hard for coaches to "make adjustments" when the players haven't even committed to playing the original way the coach asked them to

As for why the team has deviated from the style of play that broght them success, I have no idea
"Avalanche coach Jared Bednar made tweaks to Colorado’s forecheck — tweaks he acknowledged to The Athletic but declined to detail when asked. Colorado modified its forecheck, changing its dump-in strategy, and subsequently dominated Winnipeg on rebounds and puck recoveries. Those two first-period four-shot flurries were the direct product, helping the Avalanche set a dominant tone in a critical game."

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Chasing, behind, listless, poor decisions, waving, flubbing, muffing, fanning, over skating, missing checks, lost coverage, slow, out of position, Stanley, selfish, shooting one's self in one's foot, disconnected... and those are the good things I have to say.

Stanley shouldn't be anywhere near a rink.
He gave the Avs their first boost by giving them the puck that led to the first goal.
He got beat physically over and over and then took some Tyler Myers penalties (which we some how survived).

The other guy that pissed me off was Monahan. He was so consistent, even clutch at times during the season. In this series he's been an F-.
He has blown so many good chances to score.
All the awesome things he was contributing are AWOL.

Night and Day.

Some teams and players are built/made for the playoffs and some aren't.
We are in the latter camp.
It's the same (in a different way) as the Leafs.
We can be a strong regular season team but it's not translating to the playoffs at all.

I just hope we can pull off the win on Tuesday for the fans.
I'm not delusional enough to think that we can beat Colorado three straight times and I doubt we'll beat them on Tuesday. But hockey is a game more affected by luck than any other sport so we'll hope for some luck.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
"Avalanche coach Jared Bednar made tweaks to Colorado’s forecheck — tweaks he acknowledged to The Athletic but declined to detail when asked. Colorado modified its forecheck, changing its dump-in strategy, and subsequently dominated Winnipeg on rebounds and puck recoveries. Those two first-period four-shot flurries were the direct product, helping the Avalanche set a dominant tone in a critical game."
What's your point?

Reactions: Ggg99 and WolfHouse

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
How do you plan on changing the flawed core. They are all locked in for 5 to 7 years. We are stuck with them.
Maybe they move off Connor and Ehlers, to start. They are locked into Helle now, so just gotta hope and pray he can turn it around in the playoffs as he has not been good the last two years — how much of that is his team hanging him out to dry? Also locked into Scheif — I think there’s still value with him but he’s aged out as a 1C (which is unfortunately gonna be hard to replace). Locked in to Morrissey but he’s not a problem.

Agreed we need to look at a tactician as our next coach (ideally still one with good systems). Maurice was an extremely poor tactician with questionable line up decisions who was an amazing communicator; Bowness is similar but with better defensive systems than Maurice. We need someone who can better augment the team we have here who isn’t so regimented in defining player roles.

I’m not opposed to moving past this core and at least moving into a soft rebuild. We’re trending in the direction of being like the Wild — good enough to (usually) be first round fodder but not good enough to make any real runs.

If you look at Colorado — they aren’t Winnipeg, but they also don’t have people lining up to play for them — but they had a couple of years where they truly bottomed out and sucked shit and were able to bring in game changers. They’ve been able to mitigate poor decisions like drafting Byram because they have such immense talent elsewhere. Part of that is luck (Mack being the calibre of player he is instead of being a Hischier-tier 1OA and three teams passing on Makar) but they’ve been able to build the team they have largely on the back of a complete rebuild.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Coach vs Players

What if they can't play the game plan because the game plan has been disected by Bednar and countered. It's easy to say try harder, but if what the other team is doing is preventing you from doing it then you need to find a different way. Adjustments are huge in the playoffs. If Bones isn't doing it then that is a big problem. So to is our players who can't step up.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Lets go Jets

Not saying you can still win the series.

But just win this one at home first.

You are not as bad as this .

Really bad defensive read by the team.
Like they are not the same team.

Props to the Avs though for showing offense is better than defense on this series…
My vote is for Phil Jets to win the most positive, happy poster on HF Boards. He never gives up hope. Congratulations to Phil Jets. There is "nobody" more positive than him.:nod:

Reactions: PhilJets

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Putting AJF in was the coaching staffs big "adjustment" for game 4. A career minor leaguer who has been on waivers multiple times and has cleared waivers within the last 4 months. Not one team in the league wanted him, for free.

5 points this year in 26 games and 23 points in 99 career games.

Tonight he put up 31.58% CF % and an xG % of 6.44% Not sure I have seen any player with a lower xG% in a game this year.

Bowness cannot be back next year under any circumstances. Scheif and Nino throwing him under the bus post game and another first round rout should ensure retirement is imminent. Oh and a career .385 win % with zero Cup in 40 years say it probably should have happened a while ago.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Ya let's just keep rolling out the same flawed core year after year after year and blame the coaches.
It's not the core or coaches ... its the defense.
The exact same 6/7 defensemen as last year ... other than Morrissey nobody can carry the puck out of the DZ.
Bones system with Hellebuyck/LB covered the fraud defense during the season but come playoff time they get exposed. The forwards have too come back to help them and that's taxing on them. Keep Morrissey and Samberg (Cheap contract) and move the rest. Get one D man that can carry the puck fingers crossed maybe Heinola ... and the rest big tough boys who have playoff experience and you have a solid defense.
I do think the Jets will come out flying on Tuesday and show they have pushback in them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe they move off Connor and Ehlers, to start. They are locked into Helle now, so just gotta hope and pray he can turn it around in the playoffs as he has not been good the last two years — how much of that is his team hanging him out to dry? Also locked into Scheif — I think there’s still value with him but he’s aged out as a 1C (which is unfortunately gonna be hard to replace). Locked in to Morrissey but he’s not a problem.

Agreed we need to look at a tactician as our next coach (ideally still one with good systems). Maurice was an extremely poor tactician with questionable line up decisions who was an amazing communicator; Bowness is similar but with better defensive systems than Maurice. We need someone who can better augment the team we have here who isn’t so regimented in defining player roles.

I’m not opposed to moving past this core and at least moving into a soft rebuild. We’re trending in the direction of being like the Wild — good enough to (usually) be first round fodder but not good enough to make any real runs.

If you look at Colorado — they aren’t Winnipeg, but they also don’t have people lining up to play for them — but they had a couple of years where they truly bottomed out and sucked shit and were able to bring in game changers. They’ve been able to mitigate poor decisions like drafting Byram because they have such immense talent elsewhere. Part of that is luck (Mack being the calibre of player he is instead of being a Hischier-tier 1OA and three teams passing on Makar) but they’ve been able to build the team they have largely on the back of a complete rebuild.

I think we definitely see Ehlers moved out, but ti believe they do what they can to keep KC. I think he's fine if used more appropriately.

I am in favor of a mini youth movement as well.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Maurice Lowry and Bowness.

Lowry was maurice without glasses. He didn't have a chance to do anything new. Bowness has created a (sometimes?) defensively solid team that can't score. Before moving on from core players which I define as 55, 44, 81, 27, 37, I want too see different strategies on the ice. It can't just be maurice and bowness. If they stink with a new coach I'm on board for big player changes.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It's really disappointing to see the Jets just completely unravel this series. How did this group finish 4th in the NHL ? It wasn't a fluke. They legitimately were a wagon for a while and then even when they weren't dominating they were good enough to win.
This post is so very true, and that's why Jet's management should not make fast emotional decisions. There is a lot of talent on this Jets hockey club and some very good players. The problem lies in character and mental toughness, and we need a couple players like that, that can add this missing element, so when the team gets down, these additions won't allow the team to collapse.

It's hard to be positive, when expectations were so high, however, the Jets have some great players, and did have a great season. We have to be patient, and even tho I'm very down about their play, I think a couple key players could get us over this hump.

Start by getting rid of Toffoli, Pionk, Scmidt, and likely Monahan, and start from there, and I also think its time for Bowness to go. Maybe give a guy like Patrick the coaching job, or someone like him.

Keep the faith Jets faithful, we still have a decent core, they just need a couple strong character builders.

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
It's not the core or coaches ... its the defense.
The exact same 6/7 defensemen as last year ... other than Morrissey nobody can carry the puck out of the DZ.
Bones system with Hellebuyck/LB covered the fraud defense during the season but come playoff time they get exposed. The forwards have too come back to help them and that's taxing on them. Keep Morrissey and Samberg (Cheap contract) and move the rest. Get one D man that can carry the puck fingers crossed maybe Heinola ... and the rest big tough boys who have playoff experience and you have a solid defense.
I do think the Jets will come out flying on Tuesday and show they have pushback in them.
I agree the D overall is a big issue, but the coaching and the inability to make adjustments in game or in a series is just as bad. That combined with bad roster decisions and sub optimal line building and not being able to fix the special teams, says that the coaching is a huge issue to me.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This post is so very true, and that's why Jet's management should not make fast emotional decisions. There is a lot of talent on this Jets hockey club and some very good players. The problem lies in character and mental toughness, and we need a couple players like that, that can add this missing element, so when the team gets done, these additions won't allow the team to collapse.

It's hard to be positive, when expectations were so high, however, the Jets have some great players, and did have a great season. We have to be patient, and even tho I'm very down about their play, I think a couple key players could get us over this hump.

Start by getting rid of Toffoli, Pionk, Scmidt, and likely Monahan, and start from there, and I also think its time for Bowness to go. Maybe give a guy like Patrick the coaching job, or someone like him.

Keep the faith Jets faithful, we still have a decent core, they just need a couple strong character builders.

If lambert and chibi are ready to play in the NHL next season we can get way faster swapping them in for Monahan & Toffoli

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Lowry was maurice without glasses. He didn't have a chance to do anything new. Bowness has created a (sometimes?) defensively solid team that can't score. Before moving on from core players which I define as 55, 44, 81, 27, 37, I want too see different strategies on the ice. It can't just be maurice and bowness. If they stink with a new coach I'm on board for big player changes.
Here's a strategy get defensemen who can carry the puck out of the DZ and who can protected the crease.
Does Mackinnon have to play defense?
Not really .. he was on the ice for the Schmidt goal right?
If Scheifele or Connor even Ehlers were on a team with good defensemen I guarantee you all 3 of them would have more points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Labelle and GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If lambert and chibi are ready to play in the NHL next season we can get way faster swapping them in for Monahan & Toffoli
Agree with you 100 % - Toffoli is really slow, and Monahan won't win any track meets. At least Mono has good hands. Stanley is also too slow, and I'd deal him off.

Lambert and Chibrikov are lightning fast, and it's their time to make their mark in the NHL. Never mind these old guys, inject some youth and speed into the lineup -- that "includes" Perfetti who should have played this whole playoff series. Bowness has to go.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

That's a very large part.

Reactions: GNP

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I think playing Perfetti would help him understand playoff intensity which would help him next season
Totally agree Perfetti needs playoff experience.
I can see Perfetti sitting if the Jets were playing a hard hitting team but the Avs are a fast skating team which should not hurt playing Perfetti.
I still believe if Perfetti would not have had that cold streak the Jets would not have traded for Toffoili.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad