GDT: Avalanche at Stars (Game 5): Do We Really Have To?

Who plays their final game for the Avalanche tonight?

• Andrew Cogliano

Votes: 57 62.6%
  • Ross Colton

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Jonathan Drouin

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Brandon Duhaime

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Joel Kiviranta

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • Nikolai Kovalenko

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Artturi Lehkonen

• Casey Mittelstadt

• player not found

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Zach Parise

Votes: 63 69.2%
  • Mikko Rantanen

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Yakov Trenin

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • Miles Wood

• Samuel Girard

• Jack Johnson

Votes: 55 60.4%
  • Caleb Jones

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Josh Manson

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Sean Walker

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Alexandar Georgiev

Votes: 20 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I really didn't have a problem with last night's reffing. A couple of relatively minor things here and there. I thought the Tanev high stick on Mikko should've been a 4min double minor, as I had thought those were automatic like the DoG penalty (meaning not open to interpretation, puck over glass = automatic penalty; blood drawn on a high stick = automatic double minor). But MacKinnon set a brazen pick that allowed Makar to get free to tie the game at 2.

Lehkonen's "cross check" was very soft, very soft indeed and I think should have been an embellishment as well; but later on Manson got away w/ some work on Seguin.

Ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, I thought the refs let a lot go for both sides last night and I'm good with that. If that's the tone they're going to set, at least they remained relatively consistent all the way through.
The problem is that each one of those calls either being made when they weren't or being assessed properly when there weren't could have had a major impact on momentum. That's my issue, the more I look into the uncalled penalties. They more or less get the ones they actually call sorta right, as you said though Mikko's jersey was splattered in blood. That should have been four and we should have continued with 2 more minutes on the PP after we scored.

Does it even out? Most nights. Am I tired of acting like it is acceptable. Absolutely. And I am growing increasingly worried because of how much the League has tied itself to gambling. Yeah, I actually really am. You can't have suspect officiating in a league that promotes gambling the way the NHL does. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The problem is that each one of those calls either being made when they weren't or being assessed properly when there weren't could have had a major impact on moment. That's my issue, the more I look into the uncalled penalties. They more or less get the ones they actually call sorta right, as you said though Mikko's jersey was splattered in blood. That should have been four and we should have continued with 2 more minutes on the PP after we scored.

Does it even out? Most nights. Am I tired of acting like it is acceptable. Absolutely. And I am growing increasingly worried because of how much the League has tied itself to gambling. Yeah, I actually really am. You can't have suspect officiating in a league that promotes gambling the way the NHL does. It makes absolutely no sense to me.
The gambling thing though, that's not just the NHL, that's all professional sports leagues (at least in NA), and much like NIL/Transfer Portal for College Sports, it's not going away anytime soon.

I totally understand the concern though, and an initial first step would be ensuring these officials (in the NHL and any other sport) are subject to financial transparency to try and ward off anything untoward.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Makar needs to realize he has to play like that every god damn night. He's the only challenger to Connor McDavid for best player in the world. F***ing play like it. The Stars had no answer for him last night and he knew it.
He had a good goal on the PP. And an odd shot that went through Oettinger. Otherwise how was he all world?

Makar has looked very pedestrian by his standards the whole year. If he keeps this up for a game 6 and 7 then give him some credit. But he deserves as much blame for games 2 3 and 4 as anyone else. Including Rants.

Reactions: avsfan9

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Nice thing is we don't need to worry about Makar leaving for Calgary because Colorado is becoming the new version of it. :nod:

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Lehkonen's "cross check" was very soft, very soft indeed and I think should have been an embellishment as well; but later on Manson got away w/ some work on Seguin.
I hope Dadonov's embellishment on that has a carryover effect into the next game such that the refs are skeptical of any Stars fall.

Regarding Manson, for whatever reason, in the NHL, you can draw a circle in the crease-front area, and within that circle regular NHL rules cease to exist and get replaced by blood sport rules. Happened to Parise last game as well. It's been like this for decades.

Reactions: MarkT

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
He had a good goal on the PP. And an odd shot that went through Oettinger. Otherwise how was he all world?
He stickhandled through the entire Stars D a few times by moving towards the right-side boards and then cutting back to the center. Earlier in the series, I think he was mainly prioritizing creating a lane for point shots from the center with his jukes. I can recall at least 3-4 high danger scoring chances in Game 5 created by Makar stickhandling past D and aggressively moving in towards the net.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I hope Dadonov's embellishment on that has a carryover effect into the next game such that the refs are skeptical of any Stars fall.

Regarding Manson, for whatever reason, in the NHL, you can draw a circle in the crease-front area, and within that circle regular NHL rules cease to exist and get replaced by blood sport rules. Happened to Parise last game as well. It's been like this for decades.
They've already called 2 embellishment penalties on them. They know how they play

Reactions: MarkT

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Makar has looked very pedestrian by his standards the whole year. If he keeps this up for a game 6 and 7 then give him some credit. But he deserves as much blame for games 2 3 and 4 as anyone else. Including Rants.
Makar was the most dominant player on the ice last night and it wasn't close.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Dallas fans can cry about the refs in their board. Taking it to the mains is just sad. Oilers fans levels of sad, and those losers cry for other teams because they hate us so much
Nah, oil fans are actively going to our main board thread to complain every time we draw a penalty lol. They’re still #1 for whining and it’s not close.

Re: the missed double minor on rants. He could easily have been called for the cross check that initiated the Dallas response. Rightfully still would have had only 2 minutes in pp time there. Completely fine with how it was called because the end result was correct. 2 min pp for Avs.

Last edited:

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Nah, oil fans are actively goin to our main board three to complain every time we draw a penalty lol. They’re still #1 for whining and it’s not close.

Re: the missed double minor on rants. He could easily have been called for the cross check that initiated the Dallas response. Rightfully still would have had only 2 minutes in pp time there. Completely fine with how it was called because the end result was correct. 2 min pp for Avs.
They should have called embellishment on Rants face for "bleeding".

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
They should have called embellishment on Rants face for "bleeding".
It legit was a double minor. And it was also legit that Rantanen cross checked a guy just prior and it wasn’t called. Rantanen should have got 2, and the Dallas player should have gotten 4. What’s the end result? A 2 minute pp for Colorado. What actually transpired? A 2 minute pp for Colorado.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
hockey purgatory - too good to suck and too bad to win
For the fans, sure. Calgary is one of those silly finish 8-14 in the league places that are the real purgatory. Avs are closer to a 1st or 2nd round exit that would have to hope to catch lightning in a bottle to go on a run. Don’t for a moment think that playoff revenue isn’t a huge goal for a lot of organizations. Getting 3 home games was massive for the Jets bottom line regardless of any aspirations the coaching staff and guys on the ice might have

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

I appreciate the compliment :wg:

It legit was a double minor. And it was also legit that Rantanen cross checked a guy just prior and it wasn’t called. Rantanen should have got 2, and the Dallas player should have gotten 4. What’s the end result? A 2 minute pp for Colorado. What actually transpired? A 2 minute pp for Colorado.

I bet this is how the refs justify it, but I hate this reasoning. It's "the ends justify the means" bullshit, sorry to say. Yes, Rantanen should have been called for cross-checking, but then there would have been about 45 crosschecking penalties in the game. The problem is they have set such a garbage standard for what counts as a call that the players think they can get away with nearly everything. And they're right, until suddenly they're not, based entirely on the whims of the referee. You can watch nearly any shift and see several missed penalties, especially interference, but also almost every interaction in front of the net.

So in an ideal world, I'd like to see them actually call something remotely related to the rule book. But since I know that I'm not going to get that, I can at least ask that they stick to their own standards. Things like 4 minutes for blood on a high stick, or not calling cross checking when a player skates into an already extended stick. People are pointing out the MacK pick and Manson's cross-checks, but those are rarely called even in the regular season unless the guy falls down. As I said, interference apparently isn't a penalty except in rare circumstances, and cross-checking is legal in front of the net. Batshit crazy, but that's playoff officiating.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The gambling thing though, that's not just the NHL, that's all professional sports leagues (at least in NA), and much like NIL/Transfer Portal for College Sports, it's not going away anytime soon.

I totally understand the concern though, and an initial first step would be ensuring these officials (in the NHL and any other sport) are subject to financial transparency to try and ward off anything untoward.
I can't and won't make this a conversation about different leagues or sports as I am not invested or in any way even remotely informed on them enough to talk beyond generalities.

However, the NHL won't even make the officials available for a post-game interview, you really think they would ever do something like that?

Reactions: katfude

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I can't and won't make this a conversation about different leagues or sports as I am not invested or in any way even remotely informed on them enough to talk beyond generalities.

However, the NHL won't even make the officials available for a post-game interview, you really think they would ever do something like that?
No, I don’t. And I didn’t mean to try and come across like I was discussing different leagues, just merely brought them up to show that all the leagues are in bed with sports betting now, not just the NHL.

Honestly at some point I feel like, unfortunately, the government is going to need to step in just to issue some basic regulations, to try and help keep things as above board as possible

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Just take the L and move on. Mackinnon plays a ton of hockey and hes tired right now. It makes sense. No narrative here just facts that the man plays alot.
Fk man, everyone here knows you run this board and we all must bow down to the King. Get off your high horse every now and again, ya?
I responded to your statement which said ‘Nate’s played 90 mins a game’. In fact he’s 41st in TOI a game.
I get called (by you) what was it “kid”? “Little kid” ? - I can assure you I’m at least a decade older than you, and have been around the game longer than you have.
At least Darougem2 (who I respect) had some decency to defend his point with facts. Which btw 24 hours after your “he plays 90
Mins a night” post you feel the need to respond “Just take the L
and move on”?
I’ve already responded to Darougem2 fact set. And I understand his points.

Of which you presented none, ‘All Hail the King”, not Cale.

Congrats. Your continued shitting on the team has chased away a true 8+ year fan. Peace out. Acct deleted. Carry on King! 👏👏👏

PS - I know it’s against your nature, but try and not to shit on the team.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Fk man, everyone here knows you run this board and we all must bow down to the King. Get off your high horse every now and again, ya?
I responded to your statement which said ‘Nate’s played 90 mins a game’. In fact he’s 41st in TOI a game.
I get called (by you) what was it “kid”? “Little kid” ? - I can assure you I’m at least a decade older than you, and have been around the game longer than you have.
At least Darougem2 (who I respect) had some decency to defend his point with facts. Which btw 24 hours after your “he plays 90
Mins a night” post you feel the need to respond “Just take the L
and move on”?
I’ve already responded to Darougem2 fact set. And I understand his points.

Of which you presented none, ‘All Hail the King”, not Cale.

Congrats. Your continued shitting on the team has chased away a true 8+ year fan. Peace out. Acct deleted. Carry on King! 👏👏👏

PS - I know it’s against your nature, but try and not to shit on the team.
lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad